Golfers Thread

Gaz

On 19/04/2021 at 08:33, funky_nomad said:

I've now played 3 rounds under WHS in the last 8 days and my handicap index has "crept" up from 6.0 to 7.7, a full 1.0 of that yesterday. I'm normally a fairly steady player with what I'd call a honest handicap, and although early-season conditions aren't my favourite (bumpy greens, variable bounce, etc), I'm finding such a fluctuation hard to fathom... 

A solid "Buffer Zone" performance at the weekend saw my Index drop by 0.3, so my trajectory this season is 6.0 - 6.1 - 6.7 - 7.7 - 7.4. This WHS is a wild rollercoaster ride!

On a semi-related note, I logged in/recorded my score using the Howdidido version of the Casual Round input rather than the Scottish Golf version (to provide a bit of feedback to the Match Secretary).  I have to say, although the HDID was perhaps a bit clunkier in terms of logging in (I think mainly because HDID's primary focus has been on competition golf), the screen clearly showing Handicap Index, Playing Handicap and Course Handicap once I'd logged in was a welcome addition and should help out those confused by the big charts next to the Pro Shop...

1 hour ago, funky_nomad said:

A solid "Buffer Zone" performance at the weekend saw my Index drop by 0.3, so my trajectory this season is 6.0 - 6.1 - 6.7 - 7.7 - 7.4. This WHS is a wild rollercoaster ride!

On a semi-related note, I logged in/recorded my score using the Howdidido version of the Casual Round input rather than the Scottish Golf version (to provide a bit of feedback to the Match Secretary).  I have to say, although the HDID was perhaps a bit clunkier in terms of logging in (I think mainly because HDID's primary focus has been on competition golf), the screen clearly showing Handicap Index, Playing Handicap and Course Handicap once I'd logged in was a welcome addition and should help out those confused by the big charts next to the Pro Shop...

I played yesterday as well, and one of the guys playing with me "missed buffer" but got cut.

He was raging yesterday as he only needed to go down 0.1 to make single figures and thought he had made a complete arse of it.

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I played yesterday as well, and one of the guys playing with me "missed buffer" but got cut.

He was raging yesterday as he only needed to go down 0.1 to make single figures and thought he had made a complete arse of it.

It's going to take a bit of getting used to checking out both the 20th overall and 8th best to at least have a stab at what might lead to a cut, tbh.

I've looked at my list and note I have a 4.2 to defend off the Black Tees at Ladybank coming my way a week on Saturday, which is far from ideal!

10 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

It's going to take a bit of getting used to checking out both the 20th overall and 8th best to at least have a stab at what might lead to a cut, tbh.

I've looked at my list and note I have a 4.2 to defend off the Black Tees at Ladybank coming my way a week on Saturday, which is far from ideal!

Yep once you get your head round how it works the new system isn't that difficult. I played very well on Saturday and moved from 9.1 to 8.2. 

I knew before i went out that I wouldn't be going up as my 20th score i.e. the one that was going out of the 20 most recent was a poor one.  My score differential for the very good round was 2.9. by a distance  the best score in my top 8 and as most recent will be counting for a good while.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Pretty much the conversation we had when out playing on Saturday.

If you are looking for a cut, beat your 8th best score. If you are hellbent on not going up the way then you have to be aware of your 20th score that is about to drop off. It's not as complicated as it first appears, and they have stuck all the tables with indexes etc next to our first tee which gets a few folk scratching their head. The older guys who aren't as tech savvy seem to be the ones struggling most.

One guy I was playing with plays off 2, but in the coming weeks he has a scratch 67 and 68 dropping out of his 20 scores so is expecting to go up unless he can match or better them before that.

I think overall the fact one shite round doesn't mean an automatic rise is a good thing.

On 25/04/2021 at 19:16, Central Belt Caley said:

Played an absolute blinder today after some mixed scoring the past couple weeks. Shot 69 (-2) scratch and currently sitting first in the competition, absolutely delighted as it’s the first time I’ve broke par and 70! Happy man tonight! 

Didn’t hold on for the win but won the scratch prize instead which came with a £150 voucher 😆 great start to the season!! 

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Didn’t hold on for the win but won the scratch prize instead which came with a £150 voucher 😆 great start to the season!! 

Superb.

Puts my winnings on Saturday of £11 for the sweep and £10.40 for a two firmly in the shade. Takes my total for the season so far to £36.40. 

Happy days. 

Rickie Fowler is now 111th on the OWGR and normally only top 100 would get an invite to the USPGA, but both he and John Catlin have been given special invitations to play at Kiawah.

MacIntyre and Laird presumably the only Scots in the field.
Edit to add Catlin is in the OWGR top 100 so presumably has earned his invite by dint of that.

MacIntyre and Laird presumably the only Scots in the field.
Edit to add Catlin is in the OWGR top 100 so presumably has earned his invite by dint of that.
You would think so, but the reports mention him specifically as getting a special invite.

**Fantasy Golf Week 16**

pgw-2021-zurich-classic-rd4-marc-leishman-cameron-smith-winning.jpg.f6393d15dcc953184428cca51a451b6a.jpg

Hair we fucking go

The Aussie duo of Marc Leishman and the fantastically haired Cam Smith managed to see off the South African pair of Oosthuizen and Schwarzel to lift the Zurich Classic. Back in Europe, the increasingly impressive 21 year old South African Garrick Higgo landed his third tour title and jumps to 65th in the OWGR.

Things have tightened up slightly in the battle for the Todger Strunk Cup.

Standings 

819 @J_Stewart

802 @die hard doonhamer

780 @alta-pete

780 @Tartan Dave

753 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

744 @Ro Sham Bo

717 @peasy23

689 @lichtie23

634 @Henderson to deliver .....

592 @Distant Doonhamer

489 @Honest_Man#1

The Race to Whistling Straits 

232 @peasy23

214 @Ro Sham Bo

196 @Distant Doonhamer

194 @Tartan Dave

160 @die hard doonhamer

150 @alta-pete

148 @J_Stewart

108 @lichtie23

88   @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

86   @Honest_Man#1

76   @Henderson to deliver .....

42146.jpg.9d28f59fe3ed3c5e9e019642d39b1056.jpg

Back to Florida and to the Copperhead course at the Innisbrook resort we go for the Valspar, with Paul Casey chasing a third straight title. Not your typical Florida track, plenty of elevation and pine trees reminiscent of courses across the state lines in the Carolina's and Georgia. The 'snakepit' finishing stretch should provide plenty of bite. (ha ha)

We're in the middle of a 3 week Iberian swing in Europe, Golf Costa Adeje is the venue for the Tenerife Open. Hands up those who would inevitably find their ball wedged against the stones on the weird split fairways here.

golf-costa-adeje_081833_full.jpg.ab1d6ca5dedf7f82d3d8f60127b1aef4.jpg

Championship-6.thumb.jpg.3d0c9703be5ed202f80f3ab86fda4794.jpg

Went out this morning for a round off the Yellow tees as one of my scorecards for handicap purposes.

Didn’t have anyone behind us so me and my playing partner agreed we would properly take our time on our way round, especially when on the green. I went through my full routine before every shot, marked every ball before putting no matter the distance, and just generally put more thought into my shots. Came off the course with a 91, which I know isn’t amazing by most standards, but it beats my previous best around that course which was 102, so I’m absolutely buzzing to be taking 11 shots off that. By far the most enjoyable round of golf I’ve had so far. 

Didn’t score anything higher than a 6 all the way round either which is something I am very happy about, I have a tendency to throw in a 10 or 11 once a round. Only slight negative is that it’s a card for handicap, and may go against me if I’m not able to keep that sort of standard up going forward, but still happy that my game is going in right direction. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Went out this morning for a round off the Yellow tees as one of my scorecards for handicap purposes.

Didn’t have anyone behind us so me and my playing partner agreed we would properly take our time on our way round, especially when on the green. I went through my full routine before every shot, marked every ball before putting no matter the distance, and just generally put more thought into my shots. Came off the course with a 91, which I know isn’t amazing by most standards, but it beats my previous best around that course which was 102, so I’m absolutely buzzing to be taking 11 shots off that. By far the most enjoyable round of golf I’ve had so far. 

Didn’t score anything higher than a 6 all the way round either which is something I am very happy about, I have a tendency to throw in a 10 or 11 once a round. Only slight negative is that it’s a card for handicap, and may go against me if I’m not able to keep that sort of standard up going forward, but still happy that my game is going in right direction. 

Good work.

Always great when you feel like you're making progress. 

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good work.

Always great when you feel like you're making progress. 

Cheers, it really is. It’s a great feeling that I’m now standing over a ball and confident that I’m going to hit a proper golf shot that looks the same as what proper golfers do. There can’t be many better feelings than watching your ball fly through the air towards the green after hitting it exactly where you wanted to. 

I’m playing 2-3 rounds a week at the minute as well as a lesson every Monday so I would be starting to worry if I didn’t see some improvement tbh.