Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 minute ago, J_Stewart said:

Played yesterday, was absolutely dreadful, worst I’ve played in years. Played today, ball striking was excellent, short game was decent and I scored pretty well. Changed nothing between the two rounds. What a crazy game it is.

I'm hitting the ball really well off the tee, long game decent and putting well. My short game has gone completely to shit. For every good chip there's a couple of duffed or thinned shots. I even managed one out of the socket on a 20 yard chip last week. It's killing me. 

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I'm hitting the ball really well off the tee, long game decent and putting well. My short game has gone completely to shit. For every good chip there's a couple of duffed or thinned shots. I even managed one out of the socket on a 20 yard chip last week. It's killing me. 

Try a wee rescue. By far my best shot.

Get it up and down probably 6/7 times out of ten doing that and only chip if I have to go over something as my chipping has always been shite.

The ball pings off the face a bit so you don't have to hit it as hard as you think. After you've played about 20 you develop a feel and will get to the point a bad one is ten feet. I knock them stone dead all the time, though once you get outside about 30 yards its not the right shot.

**Fantasy Golf Week 14**

IMG_20210412_081400.thumb.jpg.938e49beaf186dcbb221b4b767996641.jpg

Midnight Bullet train to Georgia 

Hideki Matsuyama became the first Japanese man to win a major championship. A popular winner for sure, and an interesting Champions Dinner menu next year no doubt. Does big Sandy like sushi ? The expected challenge by the chasing pack never really materialised, Speith and Schauffele briefly threatened until the later took 6 at the par 3 16th. It was left to young Bernhard Langer/Happy Gilmore's caddy/Will Zalatoris to provide the challenge. He finished a stroke behind Hideki and marked himself out as one for the future round here.

Bob did us all proud finishing T12, securing an invite next year and records the 3rd highest finish by a Scot at Augusta in only his 1st start.

There were double points on offer here, so good news for those who had Matsuyama and bad news for those who transferred him out last week.

Standings

811 @J_Stewart

754 @die hard doonhamer

721 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

702 @alta-pete

690 @Tartan Dave

649 @peasy23

649 @Ro Sham Bo

613 @lichtie23

582 @Henderson to deliver .....

544 @Distant Doonhamer

443 @Honest_Man#1

The Race to Whistling Straits 

The Road to the Masters was of course won by @J_Stewart, unfortunately his selection of Tommy Fleetwood to be top European and the charity each way bet of Bob MacIntyre did not return anything. We now start the Race to Whistling Straits with another couple of free bets dished out to the top points scorer between the Masters and the KLM Dutch Open which is the last event before the Ryder Cup.

teaserbox_901740073.jpg.2254d2ad933f8bcc7682ad0c57744eab.jpg

Race to Whistling Straits 

164 @peasy23

148 @Distant Doonhamer

140 @J_Stewart

120 @Ro Sham Bo

112 @die hard doonhamer

104 @Tartan Dave

72 @lichtie23

72 @alta-pete

56 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

40 @Honest_Man#1

24 @Henderson to deliver .....

067c76fb09326539e29253c6f217b737.jpg.cd16e7f0c025348c587a389a0ca57a00.jpg

The European tour is back (again) and we've finally made to continental Europe after 3 months in Africa and the Middle East. We're putting our lederhosen on and journeying to the Diamond Country Club just outside Vienna. This one is quite long by Euro Tour standards, clocking in at over 7500 yards and there's water in play on 9 of the 18 holes here. Should be fun.

A decent field headed by world no.1 DJ, has assembled as the PGA tour stays in the Deep South with a short trip across the border from Georgia to South Carolina for the RBC Heritage at the wonderful Harbour Town Golf Links, our 4th Pete Dye design of the year so far. Built in 1969 and considered a turning point in American golf architecture, visually intimidating from the tee and requiring straight hitting drives and precise iron shots to small greens. Some lovely postcard par 3's here with the railway sleepers fronting the bunkers and 2 cracking finishing holes heading towards the 2nd most famous lighthouse in golf.

harbour-town-gl6.thumb.jpg.47a88f08304bb31df8f3f10c43970625.jpg

Played in Wednesday sweep today. 37 points and currently leader in the clubhouse with a few scores to come in still. Couple of annoying 3 putts but also some really good up and downs. Scored at least one point on every hole and finished with 3 pars including a great up and down from a bunker on 18. Out in 40 and back in 40 for an nice 80-10=70. Steady stuff. Pleasing.

1 minute ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I've joined the old course at Musselburgh. Going to finally get a handicap after not having one for about 10 years.

Great to hear. Il provisionally put you in my 2023 fantasy team

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I like Finau, here's another reason to.

The soundest guy in golf without a doubt.  The Erik Anders Lang podcast with Tony is well worth a listen, he comes across really well. They also made a couple of cool course vlog type videos for the Random Golf Club channel on Youtube with Tony trying to break the course record at the "hardest course in Utah".

21 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I've joined the old course at Musselburgh. Going to finally get a handicap after not having one for about 10 years.

I get them mixed up.  My brother in law is a member at Monktonhall in Musselburgh.  That's not the same one, is it?

59 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I get them mixed up.  My brother in law is a member at Monktonhall in Musselburgh.  That's not the same one, is it?

No, there's 3 Musselburgh courses. There's Royal Musselburgh GC just outside the town, Musselburgh GC at Monktonhall and The Musselburgh Old Course GC which is a 9 hole public links at the racecourse.

Monktonhall is the better of the 3 imo, an Open qualifying venue.

18 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

No, there's 3 Musselburgh courses. There's Royal Musselburgh GC just outside the town, Musselburgh GC at Monktonhall and The Musselburgh Old Course GC which is a 9 hole public links at the racecourse.

Monktonhall is the better of the 3 imo, an Open qualifying venue.

Ive played Monktonhall quite a few times with him and it's a lovely course.  Very challenging. 

He played it a few years ago in its Open qualifying set up after that had finished off the back tees.  He said it was like playing a different course. 

Edited by KnightswoodBear

23 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Ive played Monktonhall quite a few times with him and it's a lovely course.  Very challenging. 

He played it a few years ago in its Open qualifying set up after that had finished off the back tees.  He said it was like playing a different course. 

Not played it for a few years, nice course but tough for me, can't imagine what I would score off the back in those conditions. Designed by James Braid who rarely designed a bad course.

I heard that last year some arsehole poured some sort of acid or paint stripper on some of the greens which has totally fucked them.

Edited by Henderson to deliver .....

45 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Stewart Cink top of the leaderboard at Harbour Town on -8. Is it 2009?

Bob level par thru 11, Knox in the clubhouse at Even.

Cink played well last week also. He's obviously having a bit of an Indian summer. MacIntyre now - 1 after 14. 

Early doors but a few of my fantasy squad are up there in the leaderboard at the moment. 

Cink played well last week also. He's obviously having a bit of an Indian summer. MacIntyre now - 1 after 14. 
Early doors but a few of my fantasy squad are up there in the leaderboard at the moment. 
Bob finishes on -1, decent start.

Was looking at his stats earlier and it shows the huge difference it makes if you are playing in WGC events and doing well at majors. In 6 tourneys this season he has earned just €3k less than he did from 17 tourneys last season, and that included a win.