Golfers Thread

Gaz

Wonder what Bob's schedule will be in the run up to the USPGA?

Would guess he will have this weekend off, which is the Austrian Open.

European Tour then has the Gran Canaria and Tenerife Opens in consecutive weeks, then nothing in the first week in May, and the British Masters at the Belfry on May 12th-15th. USPGA is the following weekend at Kiawah Island's Ocean Course.

Bob is now 1 spot outside a Ryder Cup qualifying place.

Despite having limited status in the US, Zalatoris is an associate member of the European Tour and is now 4th on the Race to Dubai rankings.

11 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

European Tour then has the Gran Canaria and Tenerife Opens in consecutive weeks, then nothing in the first week in May, and the British Masters at the Belfry on May 12th-15th. USPGA is the following weekend at Kiawah Island's Ocean Course.

Despite having limited status in the US, Zalatoris is an associate member of the European Tour and is now 4th on the Race to Dubai rankings.

He's in the field for the RBC Heritage Classic on PGA tour this week.

Heritage Classic Field

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Matsuyama up from 25th to 14th on the OWGR.

Surprised that Robert MacIntyre only moves up 1 spot to 44th, thought he would have moved up a couple more places than that.

Rory down to 13th, his lowest ranking since after the Hong Kong Open in 2009.

I was looking at this earlier and thought the same. I guess it just shows that when you get into the top 50 if you want to make some big jumps you're probably needing top 5 finishes in majors/WGCs and wins in regulation tournaments.

He's not even moved up in the Race to Dubai standings either, still sitting 12th because Rahm, Zalatoris, Finau and Rose have all jumped ahead of him.

28 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

If I was his management I'd be trying to see if there are any doors opening for invites into PGA tour events in the run up to the USPGA and US Open.

He'd probably want to play the British Masters normally but perhaps not the week before a major.

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

I was looking at this earlier and thought the same. I guess it just shows that when you get into the top 50 if you want to make some big jumps you're probably needing top 5 finishes in majors/WGCs and wins in regulation tournaments.

He's not even moved up in the Race to Dubai standings either, still sitting 12th because Rahm, Zalatoris, Finau and Rose have all jumped ahead of him.

If I was his management I'd be trying to see if there are any doors opening for invites into PGA tour events in the run up to the USPGA and US Open.

He'd probably want to play the British Masters normally but perhaps not the week before a major.

28 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Heritage Classic Field

22 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
28 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:
Heritage Classic Field

You would expect he will at least come back and play at the Belfry, though you wouldn't blame him for staying Stateside until after the USPGA.

I should have read the whole thread before posting...

9 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Good article summing up a lot of why I don't like Augusta, except for the actual course part as its not really about that.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/06/24/inside-the-cultish-dreamworld-of-augusta-national

It is a marvelous tournament and set up in great form for the patrons, the way they have contoured the course so that the patrons have unrestricted views of all the fairways, the excellent cheap commissary's hidden in hollows where you don't wait more than five minutes to get served, everybody well behaved and appreciative of the event, members walk around the course in their green jackets and welcome any questions you may have, all in all it is one of the best sporting tournaments in the world. The only downside for us is that back in 1997 when we first attended the access to the shop was limited to 15 at a time as it was small, however they have extended the shop bigtime over the years and given free access and it can get crowded in there.

Compare that to a British Open, Burger and Ice cream vans abound in prominent positions with their generators going full blast, excessive drinking, some guys never leave the village area preferring to drink there and watch it on the big screens provided, it's a fuckin circus, I am absolutely no snob and enjoy a refreshment but I prefer to attend Augusta where the patrons are there to watch the golf than going to an Open to get pissed.

Edited by SandyCromarty

2 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

They weren't 5 pretty decent pitches though were they ? The first was a terrible shot landing on the downslope well short of the hole, the 2nd and 3rd were barely hole high with an enormous amount of backspin taking them down the slope. It was only then he changed his angle of approach on the 4th attempt, which was a bit unlucky. Finally, he played the correct shot from a suitable angle and the spin left him a straight 12ft putt.

The 15th hole still played the easiest on the course that year, despite Garcia's heads gone, Tin Cup nonsense.

Of course they were. They were all well struck, on target and landing within about 15 feet of the hole. On any course that isn't an absolute clown course they finish up half decent.

You're the one that said it rewards good shots, punishes bad and gives average shots a chance of saving par. Well they are all at the very worst average shots, slightly better than that, and all ended up in the water. Not one of them was a bad shot and none deserved to end up wet. 

Its ridiculous, its a nonsense course because of the set-up. DJ is the world's number one ranked player. He hits a putt from 15 feet and hits it maybe a foot to a foot and a half too far. He should have a mildly tricky 3 or 4 footer back uphill, not a pitch from 30 yards away that's ridiculous. Its nonsense.

Justin Rose hits a fairly decent putt from about 40 yards away, it needs maybe one foot more pace, and maybe a foot further left and its pretty good. Instead it ends up......40 yards away. That's nonsense, its an utter clown course. 

Purely because of the greens. As I said its well designed tee to green but far too easy for the top pros now so they make the greens too hard and too fast and it turns into an utter farce. The slopes are not designed for the greens to be that fast, they're far too severe and it becomes an utter shambles. I don't like it at all.

47 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Of course they were. They were all well struck, on target and landing within about 15 feet of the hole. On any course that isn't an absolute clown course they finish up half decent.

You're the one that said it rewards good shots, punishes bad and gives average shots a chance of saving par. Well they are all at the very worst average shots, slightly better than that, and all ended up in the water. Not one of them was a bad shot and none deserved to end up wet. 

They were terrible shots, the first two especially which came up short of the hole. The fact that after that he twice continued to attempt such a high tariff shot is all on him. The correct play was to hit it in the middle of the green, take his medicine and walk off with a 6 or a 7. The shots weren't on target because the target wasn't the pin, it was either higher up the green in order to use the spin and slope, or it was in the middle of the green.

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Its ridiculous, its a nonsense course because of the set-up. DJ is the world's number one ranked player. He hits a putt from 15 feet and hits it maybe a foot to a foot and a half too far. He should have a mildly tricky 3 or 4 footer back uphill, not a pitch from 30 yards away that's ridiculous. Its nonsense.

Justin Rose hits a fairly decent putt from about 40 yards away, it needs maybe one foot more pace, and maybe a foot further left and its pretty good. Instead it ends up......40 yards away. That's nonsense, its an utter clown course. 

You're using two isolated incidents of player's being out of position and not executing correctly to write off a course as clownish. Which is silly.

What about all the players who walked off those holes with birdies or easy 2 putt pars ? Should we write off Carnoustie as nonsense because of Jean Van De Velde ?

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Purely because of the greens. As I said its well designed tee to green but far too easy for the top pros now so they make the greens too hard and too fast and it turns into an utter farce. The slopes are not designed for the greens to be that fast, they're far too severe and it becomes an utter shambles. I don't like it at all.

Sloping greens and firm and fast greens are part of a course's defences. The slopes can help as well as hinder the player. Shelves, tiers, run offs etc are all standard features of golf courses and could very well be classed as a 'hazard' like bunkers and water. This is all basic stuff.

The idea that a hole or holes are a 'farce' or a 'shambles' because a couple of players make a c**t of it, while the majority walk off with birdies and pars is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

They were terrible shots, the first two especially which came up short of the hole. The fact that after that he twice continued to attempt such a high tariff shot is all on him. The correct play was to hit it in the middle of the green, take his medicine and walk off with a 6 or a 7. The shots weren't on target because the target wasn't the pin, it was either higher up the green in order to use the spin and slope, or it was in the middle of the green.

You're using two isolated incidents of player's being out of position and not executing correctly to write off a course as clownish. Which is silly.

What about all the players who walked off those holes with birdies or easy 2 putt pars ? Should we write off Carnoustie as nonsense because of Jean Van De Velde ?

Sloping greens and firm and fast greens are part of a course's defences. The slopes can help as well as hinder the player. Shelves, tiers, run offs etc are all standard features of golf courses and could very well be classed as a 'hazard' like bunkers and water. This is all basic stuff.

The idea that a hole or holes are a 'farce' or a 'shambles' because a couple of players make a c**t of it, while the majority walk off with birdies and pars is ridiculous.

They were not terrible shots they were good shots. The course is just an absolute clownshow. You're not going to change my opinion on this mate. Its something I've thought for a long time, I'm not here to be corrected by anyone. I play off 3 and have a good idea what I'm talking about.

I gave my opinion and if you don't agree that's fine, there's no need to get angry about it. 

25 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

They were not terrible shots they were good shots. The course is just an absolute clownshow. You're not going to change my opinion on this mate. Its something I've thought for a long time, I'm not here to be corrected by anyone. I play off 3 and have a good idea what I'm talking about.

I gave my opinion and if you don't agree that's fine, there's no need to get angry about it. 

Away and get yourself to the junior forum and stay there with logic like this. An absolute nonsense argument.

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Away and get yourself to the junior forum and stay there with logic like this. An absolute nonsense argument.

Well Henderson just tried to explain golf to me. I've been playing it for 35 years and have a fairly respectable handicap. I do understand golf. 

And nobody addressed my fundamental point, maybe it passed everyone by. The set-up, not the design of the course. The slopes are too severe to have greens as hard and fast as that, and it makes it into a farce. As I said about five times. 

46 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

They were not terrible shots they were good shots. 

48 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

The course is just an absolute clownshow. You're not going to change my opinion on this mate. 

I'm not trying to change your opinion here, just pointing out that you're wrong, something you get quite often on this subject by your own admission.

6 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I've given my opinion, its a clown course and a farce and shouldn't be a major. Virtually every golf fan I've said this to gets outraged but I stand by it. Glad you enjoy it though.

51 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I play off 3 and have a good idea what I'm talking about.

This isn't how handicap's work m8.

53 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I don't think I'm the one getting worked up about this tbqhwy.

12 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I'm not trying to change your opinion here, just pointing out that you're wrong, something you get quite often on this subject by your own admission.

This isn't how handicap's work m8.

I don't think I'm the one getting worked up about this tbqhwy.

I've seen it. First shot lands ten feet short, that's a good shot.

Second lands right next to the hole, almost goes in. Good shot.

Shots 3, 4 and 5 all land past the flag, all good shots.

The course is nonsense, he didn't hit one bad shot. One he pushed a little, that's it.

You can't point out I'm wrong, that's my opinion. That's entirely subjective, you like the course I don't. There's no right or wrong there. And lots of people agree with you, presumably because of marketing and most people are pretty susceptible. Sergio Garcia doesn't, as I demonstrated above.

Of course its how handicaps work mate. There aren't many low handicap golfers who don't have a decent understanding of golf. You kind of need one to get the other.  

Anyway as I said I didn't expect many to disagree, but it doesn't alter my opinion one iota. I didn't form it this morning.

This is a Pep alias isn't it?

Yes, I wish folk would stop engaging with him in good faith. Pure contrarian trolling.

Played yesterday, was absolutely dreadful, worst I’ve played in years. Played today, ball striking was excellent, short game was decent and I scored pretty well. Changed nothing between the two rounds. What a crazy game it is.

3 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Don't watch it and then you won't get upset.