Golfers Thread

Gaz

Wide open fairways in Texas, but they're still spraying it.   

My Ryan Palmer bet not looking too good this week.  
Sorry, I just added him to my fantasy team.

He took Woodland's place, he's playing better than he has for months

What a difference a day makes.
Scheffler, 68 yesterday, 78 today.
Villegas, 64-76.
Fowler much better today and makes the weekend. He needs to win though to get into the Masters. It will end a long run of consecutive majors played in, going way back to when G-Mac won the US Open at Pebble Beach.

I quite like the app for tournaments at my club. I played a round at another club though and when tried to submit my score it said I wasn’t on the course anymore (I was). Them received a “penalty score”. Not that arsed but just seems a bit daft

My new club I joined is using the ScottishGolf app......and it’s absolute murder. 
We are still using V1 and Howdidido for booking and competition scores. Got an email from the club last week saying that if your handicap changes through the WHS system because of general play scores input through the Scottish Golf app, then that info isn't fed back to the club.

Was out on Thursday for a complimentary round at a course me and my friend are thinking of joining. After saying on here about my troubles off the tee, I went and played my best round of golf for probably 6 or 7 years. Played 16 holes with the same ball before sticking an 8 iron over the green and into the trees on the 17th, which was more to do with a bad judgement of distance than my swing. It really can’t be understated what confidence can do for a golf swing, every tee I stood on I was certain I was going to hit it well. 

I had watched a YouTube video that showed a good pre-shot routine to use before driving, and I think that helped immensely. It instructed you to lay the club behind the ball first, lining up the face with your intended target and getting the shaft in a more vertical position, then taking your stance off the position of the club. Once I had done that I would take a half step back and have a practice swing, with the only thought in my head being ‘slow back and watch the ball get hit’ (I’m bad for lifting my head and trying to look for my ball before it’s hit). I’m sure this is amateur hour to most of the golfers on here but I’m over the moon with how much it helped, I’m back out tomorrow if the weather is okay and hope I can replicate it. 

We had to play straight into a strong wind off 4 or 5 of the tees, which is something  that has turned me into a crumbling mess in the past, but I was still getting the ball away well. 

Due to my new found confidence off the tee, I pulled out my 5 wood on a couple of the shorter holes as it’s a club I usually hit well and pretty straight at the driving range, but one I rarely use on the course. What I found was the 5 wood only ended up 10-20 yards shorter than the driver. I’m about 210-230 yards with the driver but was hitting about 200 yards with the 5 wood, although with a much lower ball flight and more run. Good to have another option off the tee though. 

Speith turning the clock back, hits his drive on the driveable 17th to the right and it rolls along the cart path. He gets a drop but it looks nigh on impossible to get it close, but he hits a belter of a high lob shot to about 18 inches and rolls it in for birdie.

10 hours ago, peasy23 said:
23 hours ago, lichtie23 said:
My new club I joined is using the ScottishGolf app......and it’s absolute murder. 

We are still using V1 and Howdidido for booking and competition scores. Got an email from the club last week saying that if your handicap changes through the WHS system because of general play scores input through the Scottish Golf app, then that info isn't fed back to the club.

When submitting a general play score for handicap purposes at a course that isn’t your home one, do you hand in your scorecard to the club or just put the score into the app? How does that get checked if it isn’t handed in?

When submitting a general play score for handicap purposes at a course that isn’t your home one, do you hand in your scorecard to the club or just put the score into the app? How does that get checked if it isn’t handed in?
Sorry, genuinely no idea, I haven't used it to submit a score either at home or away yet.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

All is done on the app. They ask for a marker and his/her phone number when submitting 

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

All is done on the app. They ask for a marker and his/her phone number when submitting 

Cheers. So sounds like if I’m playing as a guest at my mates club he just needs to inform them he’ll be marking the score, then I just put the score into the app.

On 03/04/2021 at 10:20, lichtie23 said:

It clearly wasn't ready when they launched it last year.  It had me listed at the wrong club (one where I used to be a country member), took 2 months to rectify, and they tried to blame that club, knowing full well that it was an issue with their app. 

I'm sure this must already have been discussed earlier in the thread but I think the new WHS is a pointless change and a downgrade on the old system.

It clearly wasn't ready when they launched it last year.  It had me listed at the wrong club (one where I used to be a country member), took 2 months to rectify, and they tried to blame that club, knowing full well that it was an issue with their app. 
I'm sure this must already have been discussed earlier in the thread but I think the new WHS is a pointless change and a downgrade on the old system.
I agree with counting the most recent rounds tbf, will give a truer reflection of someone's current ability. Think the whole thing with slope ratings, course rating etc makes the whole thing a bit convoluted.