Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Googling courses near Milngavie and looking at Loch Lomond again.   What a track.   I still rate it as Scotland's finest course.    

I first played it in the Nick Faldo junior series in the 90's.    Entry fee used to be £90 and you'd get all your food play 2 x rounds at Loch Lomond, 2 x The Roxburgh, 2 x Royal Dornoch.    

Loch Lomond Golf Club | Evalu18 | Best Inland Golf Course in Scotland

Played it once, as a birthday present. My uncle was an overseas member there, he took my dad and me round it a while back, 2000 i think. A truly stunning golf course. 

We'd all been on the piss the night before and I had to drive, so the three of us piled into my 205GTI and headed across, eventually a somewhat perplexed gatekeeper chap on the drive waves us through when he recognises my uncle. Parked this french rustbucket outside Rossdhu house, another boy comes across and takes all our gear away - cracking coffee and bacon roll then off to the first where our clubs had been cleaned for us. Plenty of time to saunter up to the range to hit a few balls (all Titleist Professionals) before teeing off. I played shite, with the sole highlight being driving the 14th green (and eventually holing a 10 footer for 4 😂). We came off the course to find all our shoes had been polished - including my black Adidas Sambas. Class. 

A year or two later my old man dropped him a few hints for another game, only to discover he'd sacked Loch Lomond after a mental increase in fees and joined Scotscraig instead. 

8 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Played it once, as a birthday present. My uncle was an overseas member there, he took my dad and me round it a while back, 2000 i think. A truly stunning golf course. 

We'd all been on the piss the night before and I had to drive, so the three of us piled into my 205GTI and headed across, eventually a somewhat perplexed gatekeeper chap on the drive waves us through when he recognises my uncle. Parked this french rustbucket outside Rossdhu house, another boy comes across and takes all our gear away - cracking coffee and bacon roll then off to the first where our clubs had been cleaned for us. Plenty of time to saunter up to the range to hit a few balls (all Titleist Professionals) before teeing off. I played shite, with the sole highlight being driving the 14th green (and eventually holing a 10 footer for 4 😂). We came off the course to find all our shoes had been polished - including my black Adidas Sambas. Class. 

A year or two later my old man dropped him a few hints for another game, only to discover he'd sacked Loch Lomond after a mental increase in fees and joined Scotscraig instead. 

I've played some - but not all - of the better courses in the world.   There's two in particular I want to bag and that's Sunningdale (old and new) and Grand Parcours Morfontaine (27).  

The first is easy to do the 2nd a wee bit trickier.   

I've played Pinehurst (number 2), Augusta National, and Oakmont but Loch Lomond is better than any of the above.   

On 17/01/2021 at 14:40, peasy23 said:

PGA Tour proving to be as difficult as ever....

I watched the final round of that tournament last week, a course in Hawaii I think it was. There was a par 5 where the second shot in was a sand wedge for most of the players, and a par 4 where some of the drives were going through the back of the green. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

I watched the final round of that tournament last week, a course in Hawaii I think it was. There was a par 5 where the second shot in was a sand wedge for most of the players, and a par 4 where some of the drives were going through the back of the green. 

As a slight contrast to that this week's course in California featured a par3 of 240 yards over water with a bale out area to the left of the green. They're using a forward tee today at that hole so only 200 yards for round three. That said the eventual winner will likely be 20 plus under par and anything worse than 4 under after two rounds missed the cut.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

As a slight contrast to that this week's course in California featured a par3 of 240 yards over water with a bale out area to the left of the green. They're using a forward tee today at that hole so only 200 yards for round three. That said the eventual winner will likely be 20 plus under par and anything worse than 4 under after two rounds missed the cut.
But Rory says it's awfy hard...

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

Great putt from Warren on 18 to get out of a big tied group and sneak another place up the leaderboard too. Think Ken Brown said that putt was worth the best part of 100k

Yes it was a great up and down from the bunker for a birdie. As you say worth a lot of cash and ranking points too.

I was on Fleetwood and picked Fitzpatrick over Hatton. Shite.

Hatton rolled in some lengthy putts today, so fair play. 

He's a popular Fantasy pick, so it'll be a much changed leaderboard.

All eyes on Finau tonight, can he finally get over the line ? I think around 4 or 5 have both Hatton and him in their teams. Mega points incoming.

37 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

All eyes on Finau tonight, can he finally get over the line ? I think around 4 or 5 have both Hatton and him in their teams. Mega points incoming.

Quite frankly, Hatton and Finau doing the double combined with the Rovers score yesterday would leave me feeling very fulfilled from this sporting weekend.

Will it happen tonight?

Nope. Same old song from Finau thus far. I feel a bit sorry for him.
Hasn't played well enough himself, but Cantlay being in the clubhouse early with a 61 to post 22 under wouldn't have helped. Looks like a top 10 finish for Knox.

Finau also has the added burden of being in my fantasy golf team.

Hasn't played well enough himself, but Cantlay being in the clubhouse early with a 61 to post 22 under wouldn't have helped. Looks like a top 10 finish for Knox.

Finau also has the added burden of being in my fantasy golf team.

Finau in my team too. Knox too as well as Hatton and Rory so a decent weekend for me as things stand
Edit to add Knox finds the water off the tee at 18th. Double bogey incoming I suspect. Pity.

Further edit. Knox takes 7 down the last to drop to tied 16th. It’s a decent finish but he’ll be gutted by that as he was tied 5th standing on the 18th tee. He’s definitely much improved of late but that’ll be a tough one to take.

Finau in my team too. Knox too as well as Hatton and Rory so a decent weekend for me as things stand
Edit to add Knox finds the water off the tee at 18th. Double bogey incoming I suspect. Pity.

Further edit. Knox takes 7 down the last to drop to tied 16th. It’s a decent finish but he’ll be gutted by that as he was tied 5th standing on the 18th tee. He’s definitely much improved of late but that’ll be a tough one to take.
Sore one.

Even sorer for Cantlay though after sitting in the clubhouse with the lead for so long, Kim birdie-ing 2 of the last 3 to win by 1.

Tyrell Hatton is now up to number 5 on the OWGR.

Robert MacIntyre slips a place to 52nd.

Other Scots:
Martin Laird 76th
Marc Warren 162nd
Calum Hill 197th
Scott Jamieson 215th
Russell Knox 220th
Connor Syme 235th
Richie Ramsay 285th
Grant Forrest 316th
Ewen Ferguson 383rd

Big climbs up the board for Warren and Knox recently.