Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Great work. Not at all surprised to see I’m bringing up the rear given I’d forgotten all about the league until the late reminder, gave no thought at all to the schedules and generally picked golfers that I like. What could possibly go wrong! emoji23.png
Anyway looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Great fun and thanks again for organising.

Yeah there was no thought in mine, just went with a mixture of ones I like and some utter arseholes so at least I get something out of them doing well.

On 12/01/2021 at 09:03, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s a shame as the course is one of the best in the rota, and has undoubtedly been improved since Trump took over, but definitely the right decision. Hopefully he doesn’t last much longer and ownership is transferred to someone else to get it back on.

Hope he keeps kicking for a while Carnoustie is benefiting from this imo. I doubt they'd remove it from the rota but it helps increase the frequency of getting it. Thought once every ten years is enough tbf, it makes some mess and takes about three years to recover fully.

Justin Thomas dropped by Ralph Lauren.   It's be interesting to see which Fantasy golf participants drop him at the first window and which forum members are just big homophobes.  
It's a bullshit statement though, basically says they will have him back when it all blows over.

I was talking to my mate the other day about that handicap thing... he just plays random courses and is terrific reckon he’d be about 5 and that’s on any course I’ve been out with him on, our other mate has played for 15 years and is off 14 great at our home club but you take him somewhere else and he’s pish.... again I know I’ve just started golf but I love the slope rating as it adjust it to the level of course and just because you’re not tied to a club I think you should be able to hold a handicap as it’s a judgement of your ability as a golfer not because you’ve played the same course for 15 years and know it like the back of your hand!!

I shot a 78 today in very hard conditions, forward tees I know but I’m absolutely delighted, closest I’ve been to a hole in one too. I was about 3ft to the pin

**Fantasy Golf Week 2**

10304669-352-k180994.jpg.0da252dbc723ce1cf3563c448b3f18bd.jpg

"Oooh Na Na Na"

Kevin Na wins in Hawaii, his 5th career title and moves up to 23rd in the OWGR. Well done pal. It was a 2nd successive runners up spot for Joaquin Niemann (so hot right now) and fantasy league picks Morikawa, Simpson and Matsuyama all picked up points amongst the lesser lights and PGA dross in the top 20. A pretty quiet week tbh, even if the Saturday produced the lowest PGA scoring average since 2003. Birdie fests can be boring sometimes.

@J_Stewart @die hard doonhamer @Honest_Man#1 are all in Kevin heaven this week as they had the main man in their side. With 3 teams drawing blanks this week, the standings are much changed.

Standings

112 (54)⬆️ @J_Stewart

90 (58)⬆️ @die hard doonhamer

78 (00) ⬇️ @Henderson to deliver .....

74 (58) ⬆️ @Honest_Man#1

60 (08) ⬇️ @Erih Shtrep

44 (12) ⬇️ @Tartan Dave

36 (12) ↔️ @peasy23 

28 (20) ⬆️ @Distant Doonhamer 

24 (04) ⬇️ @Ro Sham Bo

24 (00) ⬇️ @lichtie23 

20 (00) ⬇️ @alta-pete

The competition really gets going this week. The PGA circus rolls into the Californian desert for the American Express at PGA West. They play 2 courses here including the Pete Dye designed Stadium course. A typical Dye design from the heroic/penal school of architecture, plenty of sand and water to keep them occupied. With $1.2m and a Masters invite up for grabs it's attracted a decent field. Koepka, Finau and previous winners Reed and Rahm all involved. Go low or go home, last years winning total was -26.

hpslide2017_005.thumb.jpg.59dd7077d8834aac63391c7f6ea63ba3.jpg

This is eclipsed by the Abu Dhabi Championship however. The fantasy league's first extra point event. All of Europe's brightest and best are chasing Ryder Cup points here at what will no doubt be a stiffer test than PGA West, especially if the wind blows. 2 time winner Fleetwood, 3 time winner Kaymer and 4 time runner up McIlroy, with a supporting cast of Westwood, Rose, Hatton and Justin Thomas, who will have to pop into Sports Direct on the way to the desert for a couple of Dunlop polos after being cancelled by Ralph Lauren.

61gow7MGwQL._AC_UX385_.jpg.2574ea3460b0818bd36342d8e76729cf.jpg

IMG_5926.thumb.jpg.0fa514defae6e809cd6421149d409786.jpg

An update from Tiger
Bit strange that I've seen it described as "minor" surgery. I wouldn't have thought any surgery to your spine could ever be described as minor, but especially in Tiger's case with his history of back problems and surgeries.

Hi, I’m looking for a bit of info, recently moved to Milngavie and looking for a course to join. I’m keeping my membership at my home course but needing somewhere to play here, and there’s quite a few to choose from (Milngavie, Clober, Dougalston, Douglas Park, Windyhills, Bearsden to name a few). Has anyone got any recommendations for the best course or value etc? I haven’t played any of them. Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, Mr_Magoo said:

Hi, I’m looking for a bit of info, recently moved to Milngavie and looking for a course to join. I’m keeping my membership at my home course but needing somewhere to play here, and there’s quite a few to choose from (Milngavie, Clober, Dougalston, Douglas Park, Windyhills, Bearsden to name a few). Has anyone got any recommendations for the best course or value etc? I haven’t played any of them. Thanks in advance.

Balmore is also decent.  Hilton Park has two decent moorland tracks.  Buchanan Castle if you have a car ain't too far out of town.  Cawder is also fairly close with 36 holes.    Bishopbriggs is also fairly decent.  

Glasgow always seems to be very expensive (relatively) for golf compared to most of Scotland with higher subs than the course standard deserves.   The economics of supply and demand.  

Googling courses near Milngavie and looking at Loch Lomond again.   What a track.   I still rate it as Scotland's finest course.    

I first played it in the Nick Faldo junior series in the 90's.    Entry fee used to be £90 and you'd get all your food play 2 x rounds at Loch Lomond, 2 x The Roxburgh, 2 x Royal Dornoch.    

Loch Lomond Golf Club | Evalu18 | Best Inland Golf Course in Scotland