Golfers Thread

Gaz

'European Tour, PGA Tour announce alliance'
http://www.skysports.com/share/12143999
Can't see this ending well for most European players, especially with Jay Monaghan getting a seat on the European Tour board and a stake in the media company. Looks more like a takeover than an alliance, and long term I can see it cutting down playing opportunities for the lower ranked European players.

SGU app now has the ability to show you your playing handicap on any course you put in
It took until yesterday for it to show I was a member of a club, with the club confirming weeks ago that I was definitely on all the stuff submitted to Scottish golf.

Still a wee bit of a head scratcher that your course handicap doesn't equate exactly to the number of shots you get. Supposed we'll get used to it.

Bob MacIntyre and Scott Jamieson finish in a tie for 6th in South Africa. Calum Hill was best placed Scot going into the last round but had a poor front nine before recovering a bit and finishing in a tie for 13th.

All sorts of carnage on the closing hole meant Christian Bezeidenhuit won by 4 shots in the end. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

Bob MacIntyre and Scott Jamieson finish in a tie for 6th in South Africa. Calum Hill was best placed Scot going into the last round but had a poor front nine before recovering a bit and finishing in a tie for 13th.
All sorts of carnage on the closing hole meant Christian Bezeidenhuit won by 4 shots in the end. 
Aye, a few players made a right horlicks of the last, especially the American guy Crocker. A birdie would have got him a playoff, but a triple bogey 8 saw him in a 4 way tie for second which would have cost him a few quid and ranking points.

11 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Cracking 6 under round of 65 for Russell Knox in the first round of the PGA event in Mexico. Still a few players to finish but currently leading.

Excellent round. When I read your post, I went to look at the leaderboard expecting to see a less inspiring field but there's several top names in there.

Hopefully he can sustain it. With Bob and Martin Laird winning, it's been a really good last few months for the Scottish lads.

Cracking 6 under round of 65 for Russell Knox in the first round of the PGA event in Mexico. Still a few players to finish but currently leading.

2 under par 69 for Knox today. He’ll be irritated by what looks like a 3 putt to bogey the last but currently sitting 3rd just one shot behind the leaders. Hope he has a great weekend. He has a decent record in this event with top 3 finishes in 2015 and 2016.

A closing 63 saw Grant Forrest finish as best placed Scot in Dubai, 6th place on his own on -21, 4 shits adrift of winner Antoine Rozner. Warren hit 67 to end up -19 (T8th), MacIntyre hit level par to finish T19th on 16 under, Howie was 14 under and Gallacher 13 under.

25 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

A closing 63 saw Grant Forrest finish as best placed Scot in Dubai, 6th place on his own on -21, 4 shits adrift of winner Antoine Rozner. Warren hit 67 to end up -19 (T8th), MacIntyre hit level par to finish T19th on 16 under, Howie was 14 under and Gallacher 13 under.

Fine effort by Forrest.

Connor Syme lying tied 12th after 3 rounds of South African Open.  A good finish tomorrow could still see him make the top 60 in the Race to Dubai rankings and thus make the field for the end of season event in Dubai.

2 under par 69 for Knox today. He’ll be irritated by what looks like a 3 putt to bogey the last but currently sitting 3rd just one shot behind the leaders. Hope he has a great weekend. He has a decent record in this event with top 3 finishes in 2015 and 2016.

3 under 68 for Knox today. Currently tied 7th. Five behind the lead but still well placed for a good finish.

IMG_1607244412.517426.jpg

We have been touring the North Island of New Zealand for the last 5 months, and have now played 101 rounds on 90 courses. [emoji7]

The map shows you where we have been - Northlands first, then The Coromandel, around Hamilton, across to Taranaki, then down the west coast to Wellington where we have spent the last couple of weeks.

Generally the rounds cost between NZ$20 to NZ$50 (£10 to £25)

The quirkiest course so far was Rangatira that is on a number of descending levels and you catch a ski lift, after completing the 18th, to get back up to the clubhouse level.

Special mention goes to Ngaruawahia near Hamilton, a delight to play from start to finish.

I won the “furthest thrown club” award for my effort on the 5th at Manawatu (at least twice as far as my ball travelled) [emoji36]

The most intimidating first tee award goes, hands down, to Te Marua - where a huge, straight drive is required just to get across the river.

Mornington requires lungs of steel and legs like a cart horse to cope with all the ups and downs that it throws you.

Most sheep on a course award goes to Taihape.

Wainuiomata pick up an award just for its second hole - only 154m, but there’s one HUGE tree in the middle of the tight fairway that causes trouble for everybody. [emoji1]

Best par 3 is the 12th at Taihape which reminded me of the old 17th hole at my home course in Kinghorn.

Best par 4 - pick any one of many dog-leg holes at Waitomo.

Best par 5 is the 13th at Wellsford with its humongous drop away.

We have now caught the “Interislander” from Wellington on the North Island to Picton on the South Island.

Up and at ‘em!

Fine effort by Forrest.
Connor Syme lying tied 12th after 3 rounds of South African Open.  A good finish tomorrow could still see him make the top 60 in the Race to Dubai rankings and thus make the field for the end of season event in Dubai.
Syme one over for the front 9, will need to go very low coming back to get near the top 60 now.

That's Peter Allis died. 
I fully expect the BBC to give up on golf completely now. 

He should have chucked it years ago but nonetheless this is very sad news. Grew up listening to his soothing tone watching the Masters and Open on the Beeb. Hope the tour do something to mark his passing, it’s thoroughly deserved

11 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

He should have chucked it years ago but nonetheless this is very sad news. Grew up listening to his soothing tone watching the Masters and Open on the Beeb. Hope the tour do something to mark his passing, it’s thoroughly deserved

Yeah he should've been retired that time Phil Mickelson holed the winning putt for the Masters and he didn't realise.