Golfers Thread

Gaz

I did think there would be some issues at first like anything nee there normally is, when I checked it the other day it said 17.1 so I'm sure it will change again over the coming weeks

Suspect work is on-going with this. My handicap index has been 9.3, 9.6 and now 10.9 all within the last week. Perhaps coincidentally 10.9 is my current handicap in what will soon be the old system.

Edit to add that system now showing “no handicap available” for me.

36 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Someone on here mentioned getting a handicap under this new system without being a club member. Is that true?

28 minutes ago, Cowshed Chris said:
39 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
Someone on here mentioned getting a handicap under this new system without being a club member. Is that true?

Wouldn't think so. A portion of your fees goes towards SGU dues, don't think the SGU would be providing official handicaps for non-members

It was certainly put out there last year, but there was quite a bit of backlash against it. I doubt that I'll ever hold a handicap under the current setup, because I don't play often enough to justify a membership, and when I do play I like to mix up what courses I'm playing. Clubs are rightly scared that they will lose membership from it, but if I could pay a small annual fee to hold a handicap, I'd likely play a lot more golf than I do. I'm sure there are plenty others that would be the same, green fees would go up. 

I don't think it is happening, but it should.

14 minutes ago, Cowshed Chris said:
25 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Wouldn't think so. A portion of your fees goes towards SGU dues, don't think the SGU would be providing official handicaps for non-members

I thought it was wrong but they seemed fairly certain you could. Can’t remember which poster or page it was on but can’t be bothered going back.

Suspect work is on-going with this. My handicap index has been 9.3, 9.6 and now 10.9 all within the last week. Perhaps coincidentally 10.9 is my current handicap in what will soon be the old system.
Edit to add that system now showing “no handicap available” for me.

Handicap Index showing as 9.6 again today. Still a 35 points from Wednesday Stableford to go in. Not sure how much difference that will make.
On a different note good to see Russell Knox shoot 4 under in the Bermuda Championship on the PGA tour yesterday. Tied 15th after round one.
Round 2 underway in Cyprus Open on European Tour. David Drysdale best placed Scot at 7 under currently.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I thought it was wrong but they seemed fairly certain you could. Can’t remember which poster or page it was on but can’t be bothered going back.

Don't think I was ever certain, apologies if it came across that way. I think think it would be a real waste if they didn't allow non-members to get one with this new system. I'm a member of a club so it doesn't affect me but their chat is all about being able to take your handicap to any course and that the new system will be more inclusive so to deny non-members a handicap seems to go against those principles imo.

Anyway, did a bit of a search and yielded the following results which, to me seem to contradict each other:

image.png.4bc52b04289ef8e5ef6d0d61a490067e.png

To me, this suggests you don't need a membership for one but:

image.png.9b6ed690500e38aeca525ddbd99dfb63.png

This would seem to address it more directly but rather contradicts the previous section.

It was certainly put out there last year, but there was quite a bit of backlash against it. I doubt that I'll ever hold a handicap under the current setup, because I don't play often enough to justify a membership, and when I do play I like to mix up what courses I'm playing. Clubs are rightly scared that they will lose membership from it, but if I could pay a small annual fee to hold a handicap, I'd likely play a lot more golf than I do. I'm sure there are plenty others that would be the same, green fees would go up. 
There is country memberships if you dont mind travelling I'm £300/400 per year for my away club full membership rights, I like you like to play other courses but if you want a handy cap you need to be a club member, there is also flexible memberships that some courses offer that might be a way to get a hc at a reduced rate

42 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

My wife got me a winter membership which ends on the 31st of March. So what happens with my handicap? Il still have one obviously but will I be able to improve it without being a member somewhere?

all courses will have slope ratings and you may receive an extra or lose a stroke depending in the course difficulty.

your handicap can also be adjusted in general play off  standard tees in a bounce game which i think is crazy,

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

My wife got me a winter membership which ends on the 31st of March. So what happens with my handicap? Il still have one obviously but will I be able to improve it without being a member somewhere?

Well, going by the above, that would suggest you wouldn't be able to hold a handicap but confusion then is, what is this all about:

"If you aren't already a member of a golf club, we recommend you contact your national association."

Does that mean they'd give you a handicap? Or recommend a course in your area to join? 

I noticed when registering on the app there was an option to choose that you were a casual player (as opposed to a member of a club), no idea what that section is for or what you find if you register that way. From my point of view, if they're not allowing non-club members to get a handicap, this whole change is totally unnecessary. 

In this Covid world some people might not be able to afford a membership or will only be able to play one or two times a month at the most. If Scottish golf want to make the game more accessible they will have to allow handicaps to non members.

all courses will have slope ratings and you may receive an extra or lose a stroke depending in the course difficulty.
your handicap can also be adjusted in general play off  standard tees in a bounce game which i think is crazy,

Can only include a bounce game if you register in advance of playing that you want it count. Given that proviso I think it’s a good development tbh.

19 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

In this Covid world some people might not be able to afford a membership or will only be able to play one or two times a month at the most. If Scottish golf want to make the game more accessible they will have to allow handicaps to non members.

If Scottish golf offer handicaps to non-members, membership numbers will fall at courses. There are plenty of folk at our place who have talked of just going and playing as visitors, given the amount they'd spend against the amount they play wouldn't be far off what they have now. I'd imagine that would be the case at planty of other places. As a result, you'd see day ticket prices rocket, and folk would be priced out anyway.

Given the shitstorm Scottish Golf are causing in general at the moment, they'd be mad to take on the clubs by removing the one absolute benefit of club membership. Clubs may well have to be more creative about membership types they offer, but I can't see handicaps for anyone without some sort of club membership being an option.

If Scottish golf offer handicaps to non-members, membership numbers will fall at courses. There are plenty of folk at our place who have talked of just going and playing as visitors, given the amount they'd spend against the amount they play wouldn't be far off what they have now. I'd imagine that would be the case at planty of other places. As a result, you'd see day ticket prices rocket, and folk would be priced out anyway.
Given the shitstorm Scottish Golf are causing in general at the moment, they'd be mad to take on the clubs by removing the one absolute benefit of club membership. Clubs may well have to be more creative about membership types they offer, but I can't see handicaps for anyone without some sort of club membership being an option.

I looked into that “play more golf” membership. 260 quid for 65 points at your home course. I then looked at how much points you had to use to play a round and they are averaging 4-5 in the summer, with it being around 9 or 10 points at the weekend. That doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Exactly this. I seem to recall a few years ago about Bunkered magazine (I think) pushing some virtual club where you pay a cheap subscription which effectively got you X number of rounds on their partners' courses and you could keep and maintain a full handicap. Our club were asked to participate at a time where we were hemoraging members - obviously declined. If stuff like that takes off then clubs will undoubtedly lose membership, particularly from those that are retired and with time to travel for their golf - this type of member tends to make up a fairly healthy portion of a clubs member base

38 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Where are you all getting your projected handicaps?

Scottish Golf app. It's still a work in progress and my handicap index has changed a few times in the last week.

There have been difficulties for some folk registering on the app. If so you can register on the website and then use the app thereafter.

Edit to add the app is showing no handicap for me currently. That's happened a few times over the last week.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Not how I do it, but there are also some clubs based on council run courses where membership of the club doesn't give any playing rights as you need to pay separately for green fees - that could be a cheaper way to hold a membership.

For example, in Edinburgh, Lochend GC costs £165 for the year and you can pay green fees separately.