Golfers Thread

Gaz

I think the slope is less a measure of the difficulty of the course but more how relatively difficult it is for a higher handicap player in comparison to a low handicapper - the course rating is the difficulty as (I think) it's the number of shots for a scratch golfer to go round on average.

Yes I think you are correct.

I think there is also the soft cap and hard cap to consider.  https://www.golf.co.nz/uploads/3%20LIMIT%20OF%20UPWARD%20MOVEMENT%20OF%20A%20HANDICAP%20INDEX.pdf IMG_1603764718.306631.thumb.jpg.f48cd3743658d62632ba6e5cd166df0a.jpg
My handicap is not reflecting the best 8 rounds out of 20 rigmarole but is limited because of either the soft or hard caps within the past year (I haven’t figured which).
Playing like a dog at present.

Indeed. This article gives some explanation of caps.

https://www.my-golf.uk/world-handicap-system-2020-cap/

Anyone got any recommendations for clubs in Glasgow? I’m looking to move back to Glasgow probably early next year and I’ve been golfing a lot more recently. 
Interested in looking into joining a club. I’m pretty shit (however improving quickly...) for reference. I’ve seen David Lloyd in Rouken Glen has a course attached which is interesting, would be 2 birds with 1 stone (albeit an expensive stone I would imagine). I’ve also seen some other ones, know someone who plays Haggs Castle but the over 1k joining fee puts me off. 

40 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

Anyone got any recommendations for clubs in Glasgow? I’m looking to move back to Glasgow probably early next year and I’ve been golfing a lot more recently. 
Interested in looking into joining a club. I’m pretty shit (however improving quickly...) for reference. I’ve seen David Lloyd in Rouken Glen has a course attached which is interesting, would be 2 birds with 1 stone (albeit an expensive stone I would imagine). I’ve also seen some other ones, know someone who plays Haggs Castle but the over 1k joining fee puts me off. 

I stay just up the road from Rouken Glen and whilst it's a nice course, it is on the side of a hill and i'd imagine would become a bit of a slog.  I don't know what the fees are though.  I'm a member up at Whitecraigs, which does still have a joining fee but you can spread it over 5 years.  East Ren up the road is also supposed to be good, but I have heard that it can get very soggy.  You've got a few other places nearby as well.

37 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I stay just up the road from Rouken Glen and whilst it's a nice course, it is on the side of a hill and i'd imagine would become a bit of a slog.  I don't know what the fees are though.  I'm a member up at Whitecraigs, which does still have a joining fee but you can spread it over 5 years.  East Ren up the road is also supposed to be good, but I have heard that it can get very soggy.  You've got a few other places nearby as well.

From what I understand that course can be included in the price of the gym membership (and you are a proper member, can hold a handicap etc.). Will have a look into the others you’ve mentioned also. Cheers for the tips. 

I’ve played East Renfrewshire many times. It’s a fine course.

Played in the Wednesday sweep today. 35 points so happy enough with that. 2 birdies and managed at least one point on every hole. Will await to see what difference it makes to my new handicap in the WHS system. It will certainly be in my best 8 scores from the last 20.

Talking about qualifying scores has anyone seen on the Scottish golf site or app where you go to pre register your round? Don’t know if the function hasn’t been made available yet or I’m just missing it
Pretty sure I found this by accident. If you go into the app and go to your handicap (where you'd find your projected WHS handicap) you should see General Play Score in the top right. Pretty sure that's the option you're looking for.

Pretty sure I found this by accident. If you go into the app and go to your handicap (where you'd find your projected WHS handicap) you should see General Play Score in the top right. Pretty sure that's the option you're looking for.

Yea Iv been told to look for that but Iv not got it on my app yet, going by other folk on Facebook not everyone has it yet. Hopefully it will be all up and running by the 2nd

I installed the app and there is no hc showing but I have a projected hc of 16.9 playing currently 18.5 on hdid, I'm still a bit confused with it all

I think it should all settle down on the next week or so.
I got this update from my club in an email today.
“Scottish Golf have started to run the initial handicap index calculation ahead of WHS and you may have noticed that a provisional handicap index is available in the Scottish Golf App.

They have advised that it is important to remember this is a 'provisional index' and may change as they run all the data through the calculator. Additional scores may be added to a record as the calculator runs its process and a final index will not be published until next week.

As you can imagine the task ahead will see Scottish Golf calculate almost 370,000 CDH records currently available on their database. When running this amount of data through a system it is likely there will be some anomalies which they advise they will review over the next few days.

They have recognised some golf club members are encountering difficulties registering on the Scottish Golf App and have advised a temporary solution is to register through their web page as an alternative to the app.”

“Scottish Golf have started to run the initial handicap index calculation ahead of WHS and you may have noticed that a provisional handicap index is available in the Scottish Golf App.

They have advised that it is important to remember this is a 'provisional index' and may change as they run all the data through the calculator. Additional scores may be added to a record as the calculator runs its process and a final index will not be published until next week.

As you can imagine the task ahead will see Scottish Golf calculate almost 370,000 CDH records currently available on their database. When running this amount of data through a system it is likely there will be some anomalies which they advise they will review over the next few days.

They have recognised some golf club members are encountering difficulties registering on the Scottish Golf App and have advised a temporary solution is to register through their web page as an alternative to the app.”

I did think there would be some issues at first like anything nee there normally is, when I checked it the other day it said 17.1 so I'm sure it will change again over the coming weeks

That's certainly what has happened to mine, there are now 20 rounds listed rather than the original 17.

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Sad to see but in all honesty no shock. The only surprise is that there’s no reference to Trump “doing God’s work”.

I mean, I expected him to vote republican, but I didn't expect the long winded statement full of bullshit.