Golfers Thread

Gaz

That Irish open last day was the most boring golf I have ever seen and I gave up on it early on, obviously there was no atmosphere but the players grim demeanor's didn't help and it looked as if they didn't really want to be there.

How I long for the passion in the game of the likes of Seve.

Does anyone else switch off around the 15th always find the last 3 a bit of a slog

I don’t. If I’m playing well then it’s easy to concentrate. If not I try to set a target of making the buffer zone or if that’s out of reach I try to finish strongly to give me something to take forward to the next game. Doesn’t always work of course [emoji23]

Good question.
I'm only asking that because one of my mates would regularly turn up with nothing then fall apart over the last half dozen holes. It's only natural that your energy levels are going to drop after a couple of hours on the course.

I always have a bottle of diluting juice and a couple of snack size Mars bars in my bag. Carry extra fluids if the weather is very hot.

I follow a tip I saw from a video with Padraig Harrington and always have a big bag of almonds in my golf bag and have a small handful on every 2nd tee box.

If I'm playing 18 I always fill two water bottles too, one for the front 9 and one for the back 9.

Energy levels are usually ok on that but I do have the habit of getting ahead of myself if I score well on the front 9 and make daft mistakes on the back. Ever since I started in golf, my scores have almost always been worse on the back 9. Clearly something mental there I need to work on and I know from a swing point of view, my tempo tends to get faster and faster the longer I'm playing.

I'm only asking that because one of my mates would regularly turn up with nothing then fall apart over the last half dozen holes. It's only natural that your energy levels are going to drop after a couple of hours on the course.

I always have a bottle of diluting juice and a couple of snack size Mars bars in my bag. Carry extra fluids if the weather is very hot.

Yep I think that is a real issue for some players. I don’t always eat anything going round but take plenty of fluids on board, especially if the weather is hot.

New caddy for Robert MacIntyre. Heard a story about his new man Mikey Thompson who carried Brooks Koepka's bag when he played on the challenge tour, including his first pro win on Speyside. He was supposed to go to the US and Koepka took Thompson and his brother over to sort things out. Thompson and his brother go out and get pissed, get into some bother, and get arrested. Basically told any chance of getting a visa has gone and Koepka has to let him go. Ricky Elliott takes his place and has banked around $20m since.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/robert-macintyre-explains-tough-decision-to-split-with-caddie

I’m probably going to be hounded but personally I’d prefer it if golf was 12 holes. Have always thought 18 is a bit much tbh. 18 is fine in a two ball on a clear course, but generally it takes too long to play a round IMO.
Buy a house near Shiskine GC on Arran.

25 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Augusta just now, with 40 odd days until the Masters. 9th and 18th greens in the middle of the picture I think with the 10th fairway bottom centre.FB_IMG_1601493045140.jpg.0069ae037e7631c705490db110a14df4.jpg

The colouring of that looks odd. Either that or they have replaced all the bunkers with water hazards.

Edit to add given the fairways look like sand i guess the image needs some element of contrast

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

21 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m probably going to be hounded but personally I’d prefer it if golf was 12 holes. Have always thought 18 is a bit much tbh. 18 is fine in a two ball on a clear course, but generally it takes too long to play a round IMO.

17 hours ago, peasy23 said:
21 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Buy a house near Shiskine GC on Arran.

I played Shiskine last Friday.  12 holes is absolutely the perfect amount for that course.  I love it.