Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

My enjoyment of Sky's coverage of the US open last night was totally ruined by the frequency of commercial breaks, at around 7.30pm I timed the break between two commercial breaks as FOUR fuckin minutes, four minutes of live golf!

I gave up at 8pm.

Sky are getting too greedy, it's a subscription channel plus they have revenue from the commercials.

It's not great but they are taking an American feed. If the tournament was played under normal circumstances Sky usually have a limited number of their own cameras that they often use to show additional footage of McIlroy home based players to fill in time during some of the commercial breaks and they would also go back to the Sky cart etc during their coverage. 

Plus, with DeChambeau ending up as pretty much the only show in town it was easy to squeeze in a few extra adverts and still not miss a shot with his speed of play.

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

21 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It's not great but they are taking an American feed. If the tournament was played under normal circumstances Sky usually have a limited number of their own cameras that they often use to show additional footage of McIlroy home based players to fill in time during some of the commercial breaks and they would also go back to the Sky cart etc during their coverage. 

Plus, with DeChambeau ending up as pretty much the only show in town it was easy to squeeze in a few extra adverts and still not miss a shot with his speed of play.

Four minutes between commercials is acceptable?

Even american channels do not run commercials every four minutes.

Surely they could have cut to studio discussion or hole by hole layout with Beemer etc, they are not that unimaginative, the decision to run as many ads was purely commercial and the paying viewer was immaterial.

I've watched Sky golf over the years and it has never been as bad as it was last night, don't forget they also get a hefty subscription fee from us over and  above the  commercial income, to me it seemed we got as much commercials as golf last night and that's not what we are paying for.

At Dechambeau's start Paul McGinley quoted him as saying that he was going to rip every hole, 'if he continues like that' says Paul, 'he'll be five over.
Good prediction Paul.

Sounded as though McGinley was almost choking to grudgingly acknowledge DeChambaeu’s performance and victory. Thought it came across as disingenuous and unprofessional. The guy won by six clear shots and the only player to finish under par after 72 holes.

1 hour ago, quickoverayard said:

I hate golf, 79 on Friday followed by an impressive 98!!! I’d post the card but I threw it in the bin... started par par and lost the plot took a 9 and loads of 3 putts horrible day!!!

At least you didn't do this :

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/12077314/rory-sabbatini-gets-his-angles-wrong-in-putting-howler

FAR too many putts (40)🥴 in my round of 77.
Tee to green was fine but my putting ruined a decent score at Raglan.
Most of the trees that used to line the fairways have been cut and sold and as a result the course has lost a tiny bit of its ‘bite’. However it has allowed management to upgrade the clubhouse and get rid of the sheep. [emoji207][emoji231]
IMG_1600714094.413577.jpgIMG_1600714142.189816.jpg

FAR too many putts (40)🥴 in my round of 77.
Tee to green was fine but my putting ruined a decent score at Raglan.
Most of the trees that used to line the fairways have been cut and sold and as a result the course has lost a tiny bit of its ‘bite’. However it has allowed management to upgrade the clubhouse and get rid of the sheep. [emoji207][emoji231]
IMG_1600714094.413577.thumb.jpg.d0e1155aca8ea33ab02f7612c0d38945.jpgIMG_1600714142.189816.thumb.jpg.c1f96d3da6b1ce049bc520beb48653c8.jpg

I don’t like the look of that Kyle Leuthart character

16 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Sounded as though McGinley was almost choking to grudgingly acknowledge DeChambaeu’s performance and victory. Thought it came across as disingenuous and unprofessional. The guy won by six clear shots and the only player to finish under par after 72 holes.

Agree.

A wee btw on DeChambeau for you.

My wife is a Masters tournament patron and she receives two badges every year which we pay for and we visit every two years.

Last summer we drove over the Bealach na Ba to visit one of our favourite restaurants The Applecross Inn which to some is pretty remote, as I got out of the car an American standing by the next car spotted I was wearing a Masters shirt and asked if I had been at the Masters, when I said yes he said that he had been also as a guest of Bryson DeChambeau, apparently DeChambeau's father had been on Dialysis for years and this guy who was a boyhood friend of the father had donated one of his kidneys and gave him back a normal life. 

84 for me today which is more than I deserved, was hitting the ball dreadfully. 2 birdies on the front 9, out in 39, back in 45 including a double and triple bogey. Was a bit of a race against the light to get finished but a nice day and don't get many days that are that still up here with not a breath of wind, which I suppose is the only reason I scraped an ok score while barely being able to find the clubface.

On 21/09/2020 at 04:48, Tartan Dave said:

Here’s a question, do you reckon you could win the US Open from 6 up with just the 18th to play?  I’m a 13 handicap. I’d like to think I could but the pressure might get to me

Great question! 

The last hole of golf I played was a 9 with no pressure! Enough to win by 1 ? 

I reckon I would bottle it!