Golfers Thread

Gaz

He's been excellent and deserves it, even if he is a bit of a bellend.

It's a bad result for the USGA though imo. A divisive figure who has little respect for the rules and officials, has overpowered one of their toughest set ups.

13 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Here’s a question, do you reckon you could win the US Open from 6 up with just the 18th to play?  I’m a 13 handicap. I’d like to think I could but the pressure might get to me

Good question. I would like to think so, but I wouldn't put my mortgage on it. 

So the R@A have agreed to buy Lethamhill from GCC, but it looks like it won't stay as an 18 hole course as there is not enough spare land to build all the other stuff mentioned in the article without encroaching onto the course imo. Also still in talks about Littlehill with the most likely use being as a green keeping academy.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18732326.deal-will-see-golf-glasgow-reimagined/

My enjoyment of Sky's coverage of the US open last night was totally ruined by the frequency of commercial breaks, at around 7.30pm I timed the break between two commercial breaks as FOUR fuckin minutes, four minutes of live golf!

I gave up at 8pm.

Sky are getting too greedy, it's a subscription channel plus they have revenue from the commercials.

7 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

My enjoyment of Sky's coverage of the US open last night was totally ruined by the frequency of commercial breaks, at around 7.30pm I timed the break between two commercial breaks as FOUR fuckin minutes, four minutes of live golf!

I gave up at 8pm.

Sky are getting too greedy, it's a subscription channel plus they have revenue from the commercials.

I was the same. It seems to be getting worse with each passing week. Not sure if it’s because they can’t actually be at the event and don’t have their Sky cart and pro zone thing to fill out any downtime in the US feed so they were just going to the adverts whenever CBS did.

The No Laying Up podcast carried out an exercise about the live coverage in the US a couple of years back. For a 180 minute live feed they showed 184 shots and 90 adverts. Essentially an advert for every second shot. That must be utterly soul destroying to sit through that. 

23 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

I was the same. It seems to be getting worse with each passing week. Not sure if it’s because they can’t actually be at the event and don’t have their Sky cart and pro zone thing to fill out any downtime in the US feed so they were just going to the adverts whenever CBS did.

The No Laying Up podcast carried out an exercise about the live coverage in the US a couple of years back. For a 180 minute live feed they showed 184 shots and 90 adverts. Essentially an advert for every second shot. That must be utterly soul destroying to sit through that. 

I filed a complaint with Ofcom, apparently all channels are allowed 12 minutes per hour, Sky Golf easily exceeded that last night.