Golfers Thread

Gaz

For any kind of chip with lots of loft, you need to commit to the shot, don't try and ease through it. Accept that it might go a bit further or shorter than you though for a while, but just try to get used to making good contact.

Similar for full shots, but swing smooth. Accept that a 60 isn't going to go much further than about 70 yards if you cream it, and you might be better off taking more club and playing a softer shot, or a different type rather than just flying it there.

80 yards and in is the money distance, it might take a while to get good from there, but once you do, it's where you save the majority of shots.

For any kind of chip with lots of loft, you need to commit to the shot, don't try and ease through it. Accept that it might go a bit further or shorter than you though for a while, but just try to get used to making good contact.
Similar for full shots, but swing smooth. Accept that a 60 isn't going to go much further than about 70 yards if you cream it, and you might be better off taking more club and playing a softer shot, or a different type rather than just flying it there.
80 yards and in is the money distance, it might take a while to get good from there, but once you do, it's where you save the majority of shots.

I try to accelerate through in longer shots, I’m new to the game and still trying to work out my yardage, I was 150 out tonight into a par 4 hit an 8 and it went 20 over the green!!!left me with my 60 and I thinned it back over [emoji23][emoji23] loving golf but that’s the only thing frustrating me

1 minute ago, quickoverayard said:

I try to accelerate through in longer shots, I’m new to the game and still trying to work out my yardage, I was 150 out tonight into a par 4 hit an 8 and it went 20 over the green!!!left me with my 60 and I thinned it back over emoji23.pngemoji23.png loving golf but that’s the only thing frustrating me

I've been playing for nearly 30 years and still haven't worked out my yardages so don't worry about that!

It won't work for everyone, but when I'm pitching/chipping, I try to make sure I keep my head absolutely still until I know I've made good contact, similar to the way you might with a putt. It's not perfect, but it's definitely reduced the number of thins/fats significantly

I've been playing for nearly 30 years and still haven't worked out my yardages so don't worry about that!
It won't work for everyone, but when I'm pitching/chipping, I try to make sure I keep my head absolutely still until I know I've made good contact, similar to the way you might with a putt. It's not perfect, but it's definitely reduced the number of thins/fats significantly

Haha I’ve played for a month so maybe I’ll give myself a break haha! I’ll give that a go thanks for the tip... do you keep your feet closed together and take it from back foot?

5 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

Haha I’ve played for a month so maybe I’ll give myself a break haha! I’ll give that a go thanks for the tip... do you keep your feet closed together and take it from back foot?

Depends on what I'm trying to do. Front foot for high and soft, back foot for low and run, which was a tip I read in a Mickelson book, and he's decent enough round the greens. Feet maybe half width of normal stance.

Again, it works for me, but a lot of chipping is the feel. Best tip is get out in the garden, and play little 5 yard ones to get the feel of impact. If you don't have a garden, the wee soft trainer balls inside will at least give you the feel and rhythm of how it should work

Depends on what I'm trying to do. Front foot for high and soft, back foot for low and run, which was a tip I read in a Mickelson book, and he's decent enough round the greens. Feet maybe half width of normal stance.
Again, it works for me, but a lot of chipping is the feel. Best tip is get out in the garden, and play little 5 yard ones to get the feel of impact. If you don't have a garden, the wee soft trainer balls inside will at least give you the feel and rhythm of how it should work

Yes I’ll give it all a go mate, I have a garden so maybe I’ll make a wee green! Yeah rhythm is massive to a good shot, I’ll go down the practice area tomorrow to give it a go.

Anyone see the clip of Brooks having a dig at DeChambeau?

Went along the lines of saying to his caddy “there’s an ant”, the caddy went to look and Brooks quickly said “only kidding”

I’m sure him and Bryson have had a few disagreements in the past

Anyone see the clip of Brooks having a dig at DeChambeau?

Went along the lines of saying to his caddy “there’s an ant”, the caddy went to look and Brooks quickly said “only kidding”

I’m sure him and Bryson have had a few disagreements in the past

I like Koepka a lot.  He seems like a genuinely nice guy and there is the bonus that he seems to dislike deChambeau and doesn't hide the fact.  

Him three putting from 3 feet was absolutely fantastic though.  Seeing any professional golfer make a rip roaring c**t of something does always make you feel just a little bit better about your own game. 

It should be an excellent final day. A couple early birdies for Thomas/Koepka and the leaders may panic. Couldn’t begrudge Fowler it if he pulled through. Always liked him 
FE76E3AF-1CE4-4346-A6AC-8CA4974C3303.thumb.png.49b7ea1077d683d26a5ad93ce9f79558.png
Depends where they put the flags, but as Tom Lewis showed yesterday with his 61, there are low scores out there, like there seems to be at all the TPC courses. Even at that I can't see anybody outside the top 4 or 5 on the leaderboard winning, if any of them hits a 65 or 66 it will take it too far away from the rest of the field. I fancy An for the win.

89 for a nett 68 yesterday and a cut from 21 to 20.2. More consistent for the most part, especially putting, but still a handful of shots flung away. Hit some woeful drives and hit the worst iron shot I've hit in years on the par 3 14th, topping it so badly it bounced on the front of the tee before going into the hazard.

I was 91 for a nett 73. A few horror holes in there including a triple bogey on a par 5. Finished strong tho with 3 pars in my last 4 holes.

Delighted to say that I’m officially playing Carnoustie on Friday morning. A golfing dream come true

I was 91 for a nett 73. A few horror holes in there including a triple bogey on a par 5. Finished strong tho with 3 pars in my last 4 holes.

Delighted to say that I’m officially playing Carnoustie on Friday morning. A golfing dream come true
Good luck, would love to play there one day.

I avoided a few potential disasters yesterday by making a conscious decision not to play for flags if I was in an awkward spot, much rather have a putt of any sort for my next shot rather than another chip.

Enjoy. I've played it 3 times, luckily for free [emoji23]

£40 for me because I’m playing with a member. Obviously much better than the £200+ it would be normally

My mate’s a member, so hoping to get a game there in the next couple of weeks.

Got my handicap through last week after joining and doing my three rounds in Golspie. 15, so not too bad. Was wee brothers 30th yesterday so was up again for the weekend and managed a round yesterday and today. 87 yesterday which wasn’t fantastic and would have been a nett 72, but an 81 this morning for a nett 66, which was a lot better. Played “sensible” golf for possibly the first time ever today (i.e. taking a 6 iron from the rough and leaving it 60 yards on a tight fairway rather than trying to flush a 3 wood and potentially fucking it up) and seemed to make a lot of difference, driving was a lot less erratic today too.

Won’t be up for a bit now so back to the shitey (in comparison) council courses of Aberdeen for the next wee while. Least I can stare at the photos and count the days until the next round up at home:

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

D132855E-925C-45DB-9A91-079C9D724696.jpg

£40 for me because I’m playing with a member. Obviously much better than the £200+ it would be normally
Over £200 now? Holy f**k. The going rate was £139 when I played there in about 2007. The boy in front of us was fair delighted because he got a free Strokesaver [emoji23]

Over £200 now? Holy f**k. The going rate was £139 when I played there in about 2007. The boy in front of us was fair delighted because he got a free Strokesaver [emoji23]

£252 from May till October. It go’s up to £270 for 2021