Golfers Thread

Gaz

6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I can only assume that bunkered have some shares in Dumbarnie links, given how many articles and posts they have about the fucking place.

Don't think so, well I know so. It's a combination of the editorial guys loving it and some paid advertising from Drumbarnie. 

I was supposed to be playing this month but can't find a time that suits, so will likely be the end of next month or even into September - it looks and sounds like it's going to become a top 15 course in the country by most accounts. Also supposed to be playing, I found out this weekend, on the old course as guest before the end of the summer. 

Will be sure to post a shot by shot account of both if/when it happens.

It's fair enough if it's paid advertisement, but they never seem to mention that.

I get that they like it, but it seems to have been a constant stream of "This is amazing, it's the best course ever". It fucking should be for £120 a round on the "Scottish Golf discount" rate

Another swing round Golspie in the sunshine (and constant breeze) with my old boy today, shot an 86 and beat him 5&3. He’s off 14 and we were playing scratch so was pretty happy with that. Was the third round for my handicap (Golspie did a “£100 to join if you weren’t a member last year” deal so just joined) so see what comes out from 86 x 2 and 91, probably about 16 / 17. Getting it sorted again has likely sped up my football retirement to become a “golfer” properly now as well.

As per, the course and surroundings looked fucking amazing. Playing Brora tomorrow, so see what kind of shape it’s in. Likely tremendous like all the other courses up here.

IMG_4122.thumb.jpg.16183fdd20b4c485463577259754309f.jpg

IMG_4123.thumb.jpg.d4ee9e0b72e10d29a9a52ed10e1444bc.jpg

IMG_4124.thumb.jpg.f9e52b3d68caeb1d94ba2fb8b4e10b1a.jpg

IMG_4126.thumb.jpg.0e152eb84c97fbbf34850648d20d0a38.jpg

IMG_4127.thumb.jpg.086b5a681a3a241370b7929478049d6d.jpg

Had my lesson this morning and wow - what a difference just one hour made to my swing. Despite getting good contact with the ball it was pointed out there were a number of things "wrong" with my swing that could be changed and would improve my ball striking. Having the video show exactly what I was doing made it a lot easier to understand what I had to change in order to improve things and it brought around a hell of a confidence boost. Plenty to work on before the next lesson.

Played Brora this morning, weather stayed dry but was really wet underfoot and pretty grey. Course is in superb condition as usual, and is a lot more forgiving than Golspie so easier to score, even in the wet. With that though, I don’t find it nearly as fun or challenging and definitely prefer Golspie. Sheep and Coos are a nice novelty we don’t have though.

Was an 85 today, which I was pretty happy with. Would like to play again in the dry as reckon I could get a decent bit lower still.

IMG_4132.jpg
IMG_4133.jpg
IMG_4134.jpg
IMG_4136.jpg
IMG_4137.jpg
IMG_4140.jpg

I’m sure there is no connection between me emailing Garmin on Wednesday to get them to correct a mapping fault, and the fact that Garmin Connect has been offline since early Thursday morning.
Sorry lads!
Cheers. Just plugged my watch in to update last night's round to be met with an error message.

Played the front 9 like a 12 handicapper rather than a 21, going in out 42, including having an eagle putt on the par 5 8th, hitting the green with a drive and the best hybrid shot I've ever hit.. Missed the putt obviously, but did get the birdie.

12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Cheers. Just plugged my watch in to update last night's round to be met with an error message.

Played the front 9 like a 12 handicapper rather than a 21, going in out 42, including having an eagle putt on the par 5 8th, hitting the green with a drive and the best hybrid shot I've ever hit.. Missed the putt obviously, but did get the birdie.

Ransomware attack on Garmin apparently. All their systems are fucked, including their call centres!

On 23/07/2020 at 13:59, RiG said:

Had my lesson this morning and wow - what a difference just one hour made to my swing. Despite getting good contact with the ball it was pointed out there were a number of things "wrong" with my swing that could be changed and would improve my ball striking. Having the video show exactly what I was doing made it a lot easier to understand what I had to change in order to improve things and it brought around a hell of a confidence boost. Plenty to work on before the next lesson.

Yep. Had my second lesson this week and further seemingly tiny changes to stance and swing seem to make such a difference. Straight away with the driver hit about 10 perfectly straight, long drives after changing the angle I come at the ball at.

Played 9 holes at the Musselburgh old course last night, shot 42 after a shaky start of back to back doubles.

Starting to get the bug again after barely touching the clubs for about 2 years. Something almost ethereal about twilight golf on a warm summer's evening in Scotland.

27 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Played 9 holes at the Musselburgh old course last night, shot 42 after a shaky start of back to back doubles.

Starting to get the bug again after barely touching the clubs for about 2 years. Something almost ethereal about twilight golf on a warm summer's evening in Scotland.

100% this. There are few better ways to get a bit of peace and unwinding time than on the golf course after a day at the graft. I think we have such an appreciation of summer evening golf in Scotland because we know we only have about a 10 week window where an evening round is achievable so we want to make the most of it. Plus we absolutely do have the best courses. 

The only downside - Fucking midges!

On 13/05/2020 at 14:52, peasy23 said:

The cynic in me would say that South Lanarkshire Council have taken this as an opportunity to let the courses get into such a state that they are no longer financially viable.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/fears-south-lanarkshire-courses-could-close-within-weeks

Good time to bring this story back up.

I played Hollandbush yesterday with my dad and his pal as Strathaven still aren't allowing guests and have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the place. If it was as bad as reported here the green staff must have done a magnificent job since. The greens were a bit slow but it was quite wet and they were extremely consistent, no problem at all for a municipal. The fairways were good and there were even a couple of new tees since I was last there I think. 

It's a good municipal with some lovely trees and some really nice holes. As with all municipals there were a couple of nondescript holes which aren't very interesting but all in all, an excellent value for money 18 holes. On top of that, the course was very busy, full car park and looked like a mostly fully booked morning tee sheet. My opinion is probably helped by playing well and giving my partners a tanking but municipal golf is still alive in South Lanarkshire afterall!

One of these days I hope I can put a consistent 18 holes together. On Thursday it was a good front 9, and a crap back 9. Today the first 6 holes were dreadful, but then played the last 12 in about 4 under my handicap. Infuriating stuff.

I’ve rented a camper for next week going about the north of Scotland golfing.... I’ve went golf daft!!! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Good man. No surprises in my answer I’d imagine, but if you’re on the east coast then Golspie, Brora, Struie (Dornoch) and Tain (in that order) are a must, first two especially.

If you can get the Championship course in Dornoch then it’s obviously number one, but tee times can be difficult at short notice and it’s about £190 a round, but it’s one of the best courses on the planet.

Our medal was cancelled this morning because of the weather.  Decided to go out and play this afternoon with my brother in law.  The first at Whitecraigs has the car park directly up the right hand side.  

Fucking sclaffed my first right into it with a very loud bang following.  Went in and reported it and went and had a look but no one saw where it landed.  

Minter. 

5 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

I’ve rented a camper for next week going about the north of Scotland golfing.... I’ve went golf daft!!! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

How much did you pay? Last one I looked at was £800 a week! Put me off tbh, might look at buying one instead if this bug keeps going.

Good man. No surprises in my answer I’d imagine, but if you’re on the east coast then Golspie, Brora, Struie (Dornoch) and Tain (in that order) are a must, first two especially.

If you can get the Championship course in Dornoch then it’s obviously number one, but tee times can be difficult at short notice and it’s about £190 a round, but it’s one of the best courses on the planet.

Aye mate from East Lothian, I’m going to organise it tomorrow but defo check those ones out tonight and book some tee times.