Golfers Thread

Gaz

On 19/07/2020 at 01:10, Distant Doonhamer said:

A net 73 while striking the ball horrendously, putting poorly and hitting some poor wedge shots. You must be some player when you play well.

It's a Par 68, but CSS is usually about 66 or 67, so even a scratch 75 is usually +0.1 around Kirriemuir. It was one of those frustrating AF rounds where I was just making daft mistakes hole after hole. I forgot that i managed a double on the 4th despite having a gap wedge for my approach as well 😂  (tbf it had to batter it over a tree). Not playing for a fortnight prior didn't help. 

It's a Par 68, but CSS is usually about 66 or 67, so even a scratch 75 is usually +0.1 around Kirriemuir. It was one of those frustrating AF rounds where I was just making daft mistakes hole after hole. I forgot that i managed a double on the 4th despite having a gap wedge for my approach as well [emoji23]  (tbf it had to batter it over a tree). Not playing for a fortnight prior didn't help. 

Fair enough. Haven’t played Kirriemuir for years .

I know it didn’t affect the end result but this had the potential to be another rules farce by the PGA tour.

Finding out he got a 2 shot penalty on a TV interview.

Dominant performance, great win in possibly the hardest condition they’ll play on tour.
He should have been whisked into the scorer's room before being interviewed, surely that shouldn't have been too difficult to do?

He should have been whisked into the scorer's room before being interviewed, surely that shouldn't have been too difficult to do?

Should be so easy, they always make a mess of these TV instigated penalties.

IMO it’s an unfair penalty in that only really the leader is ever likely to have those close ups that late in a round. Imagine with rough that thick that balls “move” like that all the time. You either have close ups of every shot reviewed and penalised as the round goes on, or don’t have any at all.

13 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Should be so easy, they always make a mess of these TV instigated penalties.

IMO it’s an unfair penalty in that only really the leader is ever likely to have those close ups that late in a round. Imagine with rough that thick that balls “move” like that all the time. You either have close ups of every shot reviewed and penalised as the round goes on, or don’t have any at all.

Agree with this, the leaders and the bigger names will always be on the TV more so are more susceptible to stuff like this, same as they were when you got the wallopers phoning in to say X's ball moved half a dimple width at address. There could just as easily be a guy who snuck in on the cut line because  the same happened but nobody spotted it, and there were no cameras on him.

Had a great game with a mate today. He’s off 11 and I’m off 10 so very similar abilities. I was out in 39 (4 over par) with birdies at 1st and 9th and yet was one down at the turn. The lead changed hands a couple more times and we finished all square. Most enjoyable and the best I’ve played for a while.

Well done. Things like first birdie are great moments. [emoji106]

I actually celebrated haha. Made my round. My distances need worked on tho but other than that delighted with how things are going. If I can regularly shoot high 80s to 90s I’ll be a happy man. The wee duffers infuriate me... thing I’m going to putt when possible

Swing video analysis on Thursday so I popped along to the range this morning to knock a few about. With a feeling of dread I finished off, as I usually do, with about 20 to 30 balls with the driver. Bizarrely, the first ten I hit were almost completely straight and a couple made their way to the back of the range (which at Braids is around 270 I think) which for me is completely unheard of (this is total carry distance not in the air BTW).

After messaging some pals because I was so impressed with how I was hitting it my slice returned with a vengeance for half of the next 20 shots I hit including on horrendous hit that nearly found it's way out of the range and onto the course. Imagine having to seriously think about shouting "Fore!"when on the driving range :lol: 

Got another round in Golspie yesterday and played the Struie course in Dornoch this morning. It’s in great nick and weather was pretty good, so was a really enjoyable round. First time I’d played it since my early teens, so remembered almost nothing about it in terms of greenside bunkers, rough, etc, but was 14 over so not bad for me. Would like to play it again now I’m a bit more familiar with it as I think you could really score on it if you played well. A lot more forgiving - and not quite as interesting or fun - than Golspie.

Highlight was 100% my mates dog scuttling out of his harness, diving in to the burn on the 17th, and my mate having to get the shoes and socks off to jump in and get him [emoji23]

IMG_4085.jpg
IMG_4087.jpg
IMG_4091.jpg
IMG_4094.jpg

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Swing video analysis on Thursday so I popped along to the range this morning to knock a few about. With a feeling of dread I finished off, as I usually do, with about 20 to 30 balls with the driver. Bizarrely, the first ten I hit were almost completely straight and a couple made their way to the back of the range (which at Braids is around 270 I think) which for me is completely unheard of (this is total carry distance not in the air BTW).

After messaging some pals because I was so impressed with how I was hitting it my slice returned with a vengeance for half of the next 20 shots I hit including on horrendous hit that nearly found it's way out of the range and onto the course. Imagine having to seriously think about shouting "Fore!"when on the driving range :lol: 

You get an excellent alert from Trackman Range if you shank it towards the fence.

Err, so the guy in the bay next to me said.

So we are doing a 1 year holiday: golf, cycling tour of New Zealand.
We started 2 weeks ago and have played 9 games so far. 

Over the winter my handicap has slipped up from about 6 to right now 9.1.  

Muriwai 84 (12+), 

South Head 84 (+11)

Tapora 78 (+6)

Northern Wairoa 80 (+8)

Northern Waioroa 91 (+19)

Kaitaia 85 (+13)

Kaitaia 78 (+6)

Houhora 77 (+5)

Houhora 83 (+8)

So just one shocker of a round at Northern Wairoa, where the wheels really came off, everywhere else I almost play to my handicap.

38 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I can only assume that bunkered have some shares in Dumbarnie links, given how many articles and posts they have about the fucking place.

Aye, every second or third story at the moment seems to mention it. My mate played it a fortnight ago, said it was stunning, and expects it will be hosting the Scottish Open within a few years.

Playing in my first medal this year on Saturday.  Looking forward to it and hoping that I can post a score that begins to get my handicap down nearer to 28 rather than the more embarrassing 34 that it is just now. 

Played on Monday night and ended up playing with some guys i've not played with before.  A few eyebrows were raised when I told them my h/c.  Even more so on the Par 3 first when I hit a lovely 8 iron over the pin and then sunk the putt for a 2 net 0 and 6 stableford points. 

Normal service was swiftly resumed.