Golfers Thread

Gaz

Watching Open for the Ages on Sky just now. Basically putting together footage of the top golfers of the last 50 years and turned it into the final round of the Open at St Andrews. Tiger and Nicklaus are the final two ball out. Butch has even come out of retirement to provide some commentary. 

Let’s set one thing straight, Kaitaia Golf Club is NOT 90 miles long, it’s only 5573m.
Yesterday’s nightmare of slushing about on flooded fairways is forgotten after today’s 6 over par round in windy conditions.
Kaitaia - like The Old Course at St Andrews only in New Zealand and on the west not east coast.
The picture of the men in the sea is them collecting mussel spat (young shellfish) which were brought to shore after the storm.IMG_1595153616.134197.jpgIMG_1595153655.604277.jpgIMG_1595153686.136955.jpgIMG_1595153714.701897.jpg

Arrived up home to visit the parents for the first time since New Year last night so obviously the first thing dad, wee brother and I did this morning was go golfing.

Golspie is absolutely fucking immaculate. It’s probably the most underrated course in the highlands generally anyway, but it is in phenomenal condition just now.

Was pretty windy, but still managed an 84 and beat both of them handidly, so was happy with that. Can’t wait to play again tomorrow.

IMG_4003.jpg
IMG_4004.jpg
IMG_4005.jpg
IMG_4006.jpg
IMG_4007.jpg
IMG_4008.jpg

11 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Arrived up home to visit the parents for the first time since New Year last night so obviously the first thing dad, wee brother and I did this morning was go golfing.

Golspie is absolutely fucking immaculate. It’s probably the most underrated course in the highlands generally anyway, but it is in phenomenal condition just now.

Was pretty windy, but still managed an 84 and beat both of them handidly, so was happy with that. Can’t wait to play again tomorrow.

IMG_4003.jpg
IMG_4004.jpg
IMG_4005.jpg
IMG_4006.jpg
IMG_4007.jpg
IMG_4008.jpg

Magnificent. One that's been on my list for a while along with 3 or 4 others in that region of the world. Good scoring in the wind as well.

Magnificent. One that's been on my list for a while along with 3 or 4 others in that region of the world. Good scoring in the wind as well.

Tain, Dornoch (x2), Golspie and Brora are all within 20 miles of each other, and are phenomenal courses. Royal Dornoch is unquestionably the pick of the bunch if you can manage to get a tee time, although the Struie course is also very good. Golspie’s the pick of the bunch for me, although I do have a fairly sizeable bias.

Amazing part of the world for golf.

Don’t know if anyone has seen Ernie Els reply to Jack about speed/course difficulty.

In the replies there are people, quite a few of them, suggesting that the ball should be developed to punish players with fast swing speeds by spinning more and generating less speed... while spinning less and generating proportionally more speed at slower swing speeds.

That’s right, let’s deincentivse people from becoming more athletic and incentivise slower/weaker hitters. Never seen anything like it.

Jon Rahm absolutely cigarring his way to the win at the Memorial Tournament at Muirfield Village, and with it World Number 1 spot. He started the day 4 ahead of Tony Finau, who must be the only player with a worse record on a Sunday than McIlroy. Thru 9 holes Rahm has gone from -12 to -14, while Finau has dropped 6 shots to go back to -2. Rahm sits 8 clear of Ryan Palmer, with Matt Fitzpatrick in 3rd spot on -4.

It’s funny watching the golf. You wish guys into the lead. Then as soon as it’s sunday you hope they bottle it to make it interesting [emoji23]
Rahm certainly doing his bit, drops another shot to cut his lead to 3 with 4 to play. If he did manage to lose, McIlroy would hang onto no1 spot in the world rankings.

I know it didn’t affect the end result but this had the potential to be another rules farce by the PGA tour.

Finding out he got a 2 shot penalty on a TV interview.

Dominant performance, great win in possibly the hardest condition they’ll play on tour.