Golfers Thread

Gaz

I'd recommend the Golf My Way video by Jack Nicklaus for anyone seeking some good guidance. I have it on video but it's also been uploaded on Youtube. May have been filmed in the 80's but still very relevant today. Keeps it simple and lighthearted, covers a lot without any technicalities and I've seen a nice improvement in my play and overall consistency after using it to help me. You can't go wrong with a living legend! and still in some people's view the greatest player to pick up a golf club.

I'd recommend the Golf My Way video by Jack Nicklaus for anyone seeking some good guidance. I have it on video but it's also been uploaded on Youtube. May have been filmed in the 80's but still very relevant today. Keeps it simple and lighthearted, covers a lot without any technicalities and I've seen a nice improvement in my play and overall consistency after using it to help me. You can't go wrong with a living legend! and still in some people's view the greatest player to pick up a golf club.
I used to have this book, it was brilliant. God knows why I parted with it.20200712_194326.jpg

Thomas with 3 wood wide right 3 times in 3 play off holes will hurt. Thought he’d have got driver out on the second go at 18.

Morikawa could be a star. Iron play is sublime.
Posted further up on this thread, but Morikawa looked the best of the 3 college stars who came onto the Tour last year. Hovland had a great tourney this week, I still have doubts that Wolff's swing will hold up long term. Tbf, being all over the line on the back swing didn't stop Furyk from doing pretty well.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Marc Warren has only just gone and won the Austrian Open, beating Marcel Schneider by 1 shot on -13, with Craig Howie and Connor Syme tied for 4th on -10.

It's Warren's first win since 2014.

This tournament has passed me by entirely. Even though it was a weak field, that's a massive win for Warren given how his last couple of years have gone. 

4th game in 6 days on our tour of NZ courses.
Bombing them straight down the middle at the moment but letting myself down with my irons and chipping. 🤪
Today’s 80 less handicap of 8 left me right on par 72.
Probably staying at Baylys Beach tonight.IMG_1594618868.224788.jpgIMG_1594618882.797570.jpgIMG_1594618893.315808.jpgIMG_1594618903.858824.jpg

Hit the greatest shank of my life this morning.

Great drive down a par 5, 3 wood from the middle of the fairway careered off to the right, cleared the fairway of the adjacent hole, took one bounce in the rough and jumped the fence OB.

I was so stunned by the quality, I wasn't even angry.

4th game in 6 days on our tour of NZ courses.
Bombing them straight down the middle at the moment but letting myself down with my irons and chipping. [emoji2957]
Today’s 80 less handicap of 8 left me right on par 72.
Probably staying at Baylys Beach tonight.IMG_1594618868.224788.thumb.jpg.883b78c6fbe1638a641b5cc2b6b7ceb5.jpgIMG_1594618882.797570.thumb.jpg.8cf3b701ca8dc7485d61aeeedd8b7c54.jpgIMG_1594618893.315808.thumb.jpg.eaa6ef7a5ba4344511a37c0effd3a882.jpgIMG_1594618903.858824.thumb.jpg.410fb06e574d734232f6114d681c14ad.jpg
Nope, nobody on here is jealous as f**k. Not at all.

Just saw stats that say Morikawa currently ranks T108th in driving distance, and 107th for drives over 300 yards with 43%.
Hopefully that puts the dampeners on the "protect against gym monsters" stuff for a bit.

I don’t know if you’ve got any sort of stats to back this up but from what Iv seen since the restart he must be the best iron player on the game just now

Just saw stats that say Morikawa currently ranks T108th in driving distance, and 107th for drives over 300 yards with 43%.
Hopefully that puts the dampeners on the "protect against gym monsters" stuff for a bit.

Nope, R&A chief exec says they’re actively going to be finding ways to stop people hitting it further.

Interesting to note how much time Morikawa seems to spend in the gym. From watching a couple of things about him and following him on socials he’s apparently a bit of a gym rat. Obviously not to the level of Bryson.

I’ve not looked a lot at the “lower” end of the driving distance stats but imagine there’s a bit of a log jam around 295 where 1-2 yards difference (negligible in terms of strokes gained) would probably jump you up around 20-30 places in the rankings.

Golf confuses me sometimes, I can’t get my head around FIFA, for example, suggesting rolling back players boots to the 1980s to slow players down because they run faster than they used to.

I don’t know if you’ve got any sort of stats to back this up but from what Iv seen since the restart he must be the best iron player on the game just now

He’s number 1 on tour strokes gained approach to the green this season. Suggesting his iron play is statistically the best on tour.

Interestingly, he’s also suffering from not having played the required 25 events in the official world rankings. Adjusted back to the time he came on tour he’s the second ranked player in the world behind mcilroy.

Has the potential to be a genuine superstar.

Got my first round of the year planned for Saturday, back to my old stomping ground at Dalmuir. Been spending lockdown ‘upgrading’ my irons from 20 year-old Pinseekers to 20 year old Ping i3s (nostalgia rules!).

Fearing the slice on my driver could ruin my round, although it seemed under control last time I hit the range.