Golfers Thread

Gaz

We were talking on Saturday when we were playing, wondering if there will be any good deals to play the top Scottish courses this year as they will be down on visitors, especially the Americans and Japanese. An advert for Royal Aberdeen popped up on my Facebook tonight, offering a fourball at £125 per head rather than the usual £195.

10 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Well had my first ever outing at a range today. What I’ve got from it is this is going to be a very frustrating sport!!! I’ve booked a lesson for Friday at 4 so hopefully pick up a few tips

Yes it is, even for the pros!!!

wait till you hit a good one though, what a feeling!

First post lockdown round for  me today!!!

I was really enjoying golf again at the end of 2019 after a 10 year break.

Went  on a long trip to Australia over Christmas so got out of practice and spent a few weeks at the driving range before getting out on the course against in the new year. 

I then played 2 rounds before getting dengue fever and having to spend some time in hospital and even when I got out again, I was wiped for energy, so didn’t get out on the course again for 2 months.

Played 1 more round before lockdown happened! 

Yesterday was my first round in 3 months and only 4th in 2020.

Needless to say I enjoyed it a lot!

Helped by smoking a 6I on the 1st to 12 foot and lipping out the bird putt.  

Shot 45 for first 9, which is excellent for me on that course, before wilting in the sun in the back 9 . Hit plenty of good golf shots with a few easy things to tidy up to score lower next time. 

Can’t wait!

5DB197E2-9FE9-4A2F-8B7A-804071EDFADB.jpeg

Edited by Merkie84
Spelling

Yes it is, even for the pros!!!
wait till you hit a good one though, what a feeling!

I’m ok with my irons but the driver is a no go just now, playing north Berwick on Wednesday I’d be delighted if I can go round in 100 or less. I’m decent at putting as I bowl so my touch is good.... looking forward to actually getting a round.

I’m pretty comfortable with my driver. I fade the ball naturally (sometimes an extreme fade) and seem to play courses with wider fairways. I’m not cleanly hitting my irons consistently enough so a lesson with that would be a great help. I’m ok out the bunker and decent enough with my short game around the greens. Can’t putt worth a f**k though, no idea how to read greens or speed. Any free tips are very much welcomed gents.

Iv been using this site. Don’t know if it’s of use to any of you.

https://free-online-golf-tips.com

10 hours ago, peasy23 said:

We were talking on Saturday when we were playing, wondering if there will be any good deals to play the top Scottish courses this year as they will be down on visitors, especially the Americans and Japanese. An advert for Royal Aberdeen popped up on my Facebook tonight, offering a fourball at £125 per head rather than the usual £195.

Murcar was doing a deal for £50 a head a few weeks ago, think it's usually at least £100. Was tempted to just nab a time and go myself but thankful I didn't. My game was in no fit state to take on a difficult course!

Murcar was doing a deal for £50 a head a few weeks ago, think it's usually at least £100. Was tempted to just nab a time and go myself but thankful I didn't. My game was in no fit state to take on a difficult course!

This is a great shout. Might give this a look, was aiming on bagging a few top 50 courses this summer so reduces fees are welcome.

Not quite in the top 50, as it’s just opened but will be playing Drumbarnie at the end of the month. By all accounts sounds like it’ll be a top 20 course in the country before long. 50% off for Scottish Residents in year one.

The deal is still there on certain weekdays if that's peaked your interests.

I've had to take a bit of time away from golf with a bad back, don't think working from home has been great for my lanky frame. Was back to the driving range this afternoon though and no significant issues so going to try and give 9 holes a bash tomorrow evening.

Think I'll be looking to snatch a time there once I've made sure I can manage 18 holes without making that worse.

Playing rank rotten right now. Just as I’m putting cards in to get a handicap. Completely duffing shots. Something I haven’t done in a long while. Putting and some remarkable recovery shots are keeping me semi respectable

I just got cut down to 18 last comp I'm sure I'll be back up to 20 in no time, playing tomorrows medal down leven and sat at my home club, been striking the ball well since the return and putting is getting back on track, still some wild ones here and there but playing a lot better

Played really nicely in our Wednesday sweep today. 36 points. Hit the ball really well but didn’t hole many putts. Couple of 3 putts and took two to get out of a bunker but generally pleased to see some real improvement in ball striking after a really inconsistent spell.

Had 4 or 5 good efforts at birdies but none of the putts dropped.

Just started playing golf and hit 114 round Troon Fullarton today, starting 9-9 and 3 putting pretty much every hole. One par. Hope to get under 100 by September...
When I started i was hitting the same and over i still get a 100 now and again it will come down once you learn the game work on putting and short game that will get your score down quickly

On 07/07/2020 at 10:07, lichtie23 said:

I’m pretty comfortable with my driver. I fade the ball naturally (sometimes an extreme fade) and seem to play courses with wider fairways. I’m not cleanly hitting my irons consistently enough so a lesson with that would be a great help. I’m ok out the bunker and decent enough with my short game around the greens. Can’t putt worth a f**k though, no idea how to read greens or speed. Any free tips are very much welcomed gents.

Iv been using this site. Don’t know if it’s of use to any of you.

https://free-online-golf-tips.com

One of the best tips I’ve got for putting is to use the logo on your ball to line up with where you want to start it.

A good tip for reading greens that works for me is, imagine you hit your putt straight at the hole and visualise where it ends up, adjust your aim to start the ball so far to the opposite side of where it ended up. 

Controlling speed just comes naturally and takes practice of hitting putts 

I have just recently started playing golf. Having took to it somewhat late in life I'm decent enough for a beginner. I hit the ball pretty straight, good with irons and at putting but the main problem I'm having is my driving off the tee. I hit the ball quite flat and on tee shots I'm not getting the right mix of height and power. Usually my drives are too low. I've even started using my iron to tee off and my drives with a 3 wood are a bit better. Any tips would be appreciated!