Golfers Thread

Gaz

4 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Dreadful. Killing the game and courses.

Take back the technology and give us back  spectacle where course management and skill wins tournaments.  Not somebody that can smash it miles then even if in rough can muscle it to green.

On 17 he was a good bit left and in the rough. Still able to knock it on to the green with an 8 iron from there though. And that's a par 5. 

Take away the tech, and make the rough a proper punishment for poor golf shots.

On 17 he was a good bit left and in the rough. Still able to knock it on to the green with an 8 iron from there though. And that's a par 5. 
Take away the tech, and make the rough a proper punishment for poor golf shots.

Take away access to gyms as well so the guys get stronger as well? That’s really the main reason so many of them are hitting the ball so far, elite golfers in the main are becoming far now athletic/focused on their power/gym work.

Not a fan at all of “dialling back the tech” because a handful of the very elite players are able to hit the ball miles consistently.

We’re all using the same clubs, these guys are just very, very good at it. You then end up either 1) making the game worse for 95% of people who play it or 2) making the pros play with different equipment/rules to everyone else. Neither of those can be good for golf, IMO.

It's pretty funny seeing all these commentators fawn over Bryson's "new approach". This is all very well on a perfectly manicured PGA Tour venue with generous fairways and fairly generous rough. We all know that in less than perfect conditions in a major his game will disintegrate like a Joma shirt after five washes. I agree with @DigOutYourSoul. Penalising clubs golfers because a roid-freak is bombing 370 yard drives is ridiculous, and doesn't work anyway. Rules were brought in to limit the spring effect on the face of drivers years ago and manufacturers just found other ways around it. You simply make the courses harder for these guys - less receptive greens, proper rough and narrower fairways. 

It's pretty funny seeing all these commentators fawn over Bryson's "new approach". This is all very well on a perfectly manicured PGA Tour venue with generous fairways and fairly generous rough. We all know that in less than perfect conditions in a major his game will disintegrate like a Joma shirt after five washes. I agree with [mention=21072]DigOutYourSoul[/mention]. Penalising clubs golfers because a roid-freak is bombing 370 yard drives is ridiculous, and doesn't work anyway. Rules were brought in to limit the spring effect on the face of drivers years ago and manufacturers just found other ways around it. You simply make the courses harder for these guys - less receptive greens, proper rough and narrower fairways. 

Yep, it’s the only thing they can really do.

The question then becomes how do they toughen them to a point that it doesn’t become gimmicky like some US Opens have in the past trying to protect par. The last two PGA Tour events before lockdown were won by -4 and -6, so there is a level of variation on the tour, just maybe not as much as there should be.

Part of the reason I love golf, both watching professionally and playing, more than any other sport now, is that there’s some level of comparability in what we do compared to the best in the world. You can go play the same holes, courses, keep the same stats with the right apps - you can’t do that with many other sports. I’d love to go and play from the back tees on a course in tournament setup and see how hard they actually play.

If they trick up courses too much to negate elite players ability, you lose that comparability - which I’m not sure I like too much either.

I do agree completely though, that you shouldn’t be able to hit shots 40 yards offline and have a clean shot to the green with a wedge, which happens quite a lot. However, I think that’s more down to the design of some of the courses they play than anything else. some of the courses are basically 18 driving ranges with a green at the end and I’ve got far more of an issue with that than players going low on classically designed courses.

Although I do think limiting the tech should happen, I'd rather see tougher course set ups first. DeChambeau had a driving accuracy of 58.93% this weekend (33 of 56 fairways hit) yet was able to get to 23 under par because there is no punishment for missing. The game should not become a power contest, there has to be a test of accuracy alongside it.

Although I do think limiting the tech should happen, I'd rather see tougher course set ups first. DeChambeau had a driving accuracy of 58.93% this weekend (33 of 56 fairways hit) yet was able to get to 23 under par because there is no punishment for missing. The game should not become a power contest, there has to be a test of accuracy alongside it.

Agree with this. Faldo made and interesting point last night - god that doesn’t sound right - that where dechambeu is landing the ball now, most courses aren’t even close to being setup to punish that kind of distance. All rough/bunker complexes are sitting around the 280-320 yard range and he’s taking it all completely out of play.

Regards technology, obviously the tech has improved -mainly on off centre hits - but I think there’s plenty of evidence on YouTube that the distance claims by manufacturers in the last 10-15 years are largely marketing led selective data picking.

I actually think the biggest tech innovation/game changer in golf in the last 10-15 years is the advancement of trackman/gcquad and other launch monitors.

Fitters, TXG on YouTube for example highlight this really well (great content if nobody has seen it) that by being able to see exactly what’s happening on every swing they can optimise even the most average players clubs/launch conditions to help them gain 30-40 yards off the tee.

A proper driver fitting is my next golf investment, at 100mph on GC2 I know I’m giving away a lot of yards. I know I’ve preached about lessons being the best way to improve this but also confident a proper fitting will help.

Further to this, and I’ve mentioned it above, I think golf swing specific strength training is a sure fire way to add speed, distance and in turn improve my game.

Trouble is the USPGA want courses that look nice on TV with manicured rough, not the knee high stuff I was in at the weekend if I missed a fairway by 30 yards like Bryson did a couple of times. He missed the first 4 fairways yesterday (one of them by miles) but was 3 under for those holes. That can't be right, the straightest drivers are getting no benefit from hitting fairways.

Trouble is the USPGA want courses that look nice on TV with manicured rough, not the knee high stuff I was in at the weekend if I missed a fairway by 30 yards like Brydon did a couple of times. He missed the first 4 fairways yesterday (one of them by miles) but was 3 under for those holes. That can't be right, the straightest drivers are getting no benefit from hitting fairways.

Again, while I totally agree with what you’re saying. I also had some awful rough that you’d never see on your this weekend.

Straight hitters still benefit from hitting fairways. Ryan armour is second on tour for driving accuracy finished T4 and T6 the last 2 weeks. Brendan Todd is 3rd and he’s had 2 wins this season and was in a great position 2 weeks ago until a disaster on Sunday.

Being accurate is still a benefit, because these guys still hit it 285 total distance, but they’re hitting 4 irons into greens other players are hitting gap wedges into. But there is no where near enough punishment for being 30 yards wide off the tee.

Agree with this. Faldo made and interesting point last night - god that doesn’t sound right - that where dechambeu is landing the ball now, most courses aren’t even close to being setup to punish that kind of distance. All rough/bunker complexes are sitting around the 280-320 yard range and he’s taking it all completely out of play.

Regards technology, obviously the tech has improved -mainly on off centre hits - but I think there’s plenty of evidence on YouTube that the distance claims by manufacturers in the last 10-15 years are largely marketing led selective data picking.

I actually think the biggest tech innovation/game changer in golf in the last 10-15 years is the advancement of trackman/gcquad and other launch monitors.

Fitters, TXG on YouTube for example highlight this really well (great content if nobody has seen it) that by being able to see exactly what’s happening on every swing they can optimise even the most average players clubs/launch conditions to help them gain 30-40 yards off the tee.

A proper driver fitting is my next golf investment, at 100mph on GC2 I know I’m giving away a lot of yards. I know I’ve preached about lessons being the best way to improve this but also confident a proper fitting will help.

Further to this, and I’ve mentioned it above, I think golf swing specific strength training is a sure fire way to add speed, distance and in turn improve my game.
I'm 50 next January and my treat to myself will be a fully fitted driver. My swing speed is similar to yours so fully expecting a "senior" shaft. [emoji3]

49 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Being accurate is still a benefit, because these guys still hit it 285 total distance, but they’re hitting 4 irons into greens other players are hitting gap wedges into. But there is no where near enough punishment for being 30 yards wide off the tee.

This.

If you're that far offline, you should be playing from the jungle, not launching an 8I 230 like Bryson did last night

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

This.

If you're that far offline, you should be playing from the jungle, not launching an 8I 230 like Bryson did last night

They have to being strict OOB back into it.

Last night makes a mockery of the game.  

They have to being strict OOB back into it.
Last night makes a mockery of the game.  

Internal OB was actually what I was thinking about last night on this, just don’t know how it would work practically.

On the courses I’ve played in the states, they’re all far better manicured in general than courses here when it comes to the rough. You can be pretty wild and not be punished by much more than some trees to navigate. Where as I hit a drive about 6 yards wide of the fairway on Saturday and was wading through waist high rough hoping to stand on my ball [emoji23]

Don’t strictly agree that it makes a “mockery” of the sport. Mcilroy is considered one of the “best” drivers in modern golf and his accuracy % is only 57% this season, 60% last season. Bryson this week was 59% and is 61% for the season. Not sure Rorys wins are met with claims of him making a mockery of the game.

The 8 iron everyone’s talking about was only a few yards off the edge of the fairway, hardly wild.