Golfers Thread

Gaz

How did the qualifying round work at your place? I know a lot of clubs are still holding off.

I know we are wanting to run a competition on July 4th, but to do that we are switching from the BRS website for our bookings and shifting everything over to the V1 Members app as it can handle both the bookings and the scorecards. Some clubs were already using V1 so might have been able to get comps going quicker.

11 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

How did the qualifying round work at your place? I know a lot of clubs are still holding off.

Last week it was initially just as 2 balls, but the competition got cancelled due to the fog

Yesterday was the first competition in 3-balls, we’ve been given access to use the mobile score entry on HowDidiDo/ClubV1 so that’s one option. Or if you don’t have a smartphone, you can take a scorecard and one person marks it and verbally confirms with their playing partners the scores and you can post it into the clubhouse or take a photo and email the match sec with a photo of the scorecard 

Seems to be going alright so far, takes a couple days for them to post the results of the competitions but that’s understandable

We’ve been sent an updated fixture list to make sure we get the most important competitions played 

Tonight should be great at the RBC with the top of the leaderboard being tighter than a ducks arse! I’d like to see Tyrell get his 2nd win across the pond. Mainly cause I’m still pissed about Azinger’s comments.

I’m playing Ballumbie Castle in Dundee tomorrow. Anyone here played it?

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Tonight should be great at the RBC with the top of the leaderboard being tighter than a ducks arse! I’d like to see Tyrell get his 2nd win across the pond. Mainly cause I’m still pissed about Azinger’s comments.

It's an alright course, Ballumbie, though I've got a feeling they might have made a few changes since I played it 3 or 4 years ago. There are 2 distinct sections to it, with a stretch between houses with a hole going each way joining them together. My main memory of playing is on the outward hole, one of the guys I was playing with hooked it left and high over the fence protecting the houses. We then watched the ball bounce back and forward on someone's roof then down on to a nice parked Audi 😂

Edited by die hard doonhamer

18 holes this evening which can only be described as a game of two halfs.

Front 9 started shaky with some very poor short game on display but was recovered to a very respectable 2 over par.

front9.PNG.6badbdd899d8165e4505448a44769814.PNG

I then proceeded to completely lose the plot and came back with.....this:

back9.PNG.e748b522c1363fbc58abb29013f08a2f.PNG

I will add that I holed a 30ft putt on 14 for that 7 too.

Lesson learned, don't ever start to think you're decent at golf, it will promptly be confirmed that you are indeed still shite.

1 hour ago, Mr Hahn said:

18 holes this evening which can only be described as a game of two halfs.

Front 9 started shaky with some very poor short game on display but was recovered to a very respectable 2 over par.

front9.PNG.6badbdd899d8165e4505448a44769814.PNG

I then proceeded to completely lose the plot and came back with.....this:

back9.PNG.e748b522c1363fbc58abb29013f08a2f.PNG

I will add that I holed a 30ft putt on 14 for that 7 too.

Lesson learned, don't ever start to think you're decent at golf, it will promptly be confirmed that you are indeed still shite.

Bet that putt for the 7 felt as good as the birdie putt on 9 though!

Ruined my night.

Ballumbie is alright, not my favourite course around here as it’s clear on the back 9 they’ve crammed a couple of holes in to make 18.

I like 5 and 17.

Just trying to play the local courses in my area and at £13 I’d be daft not to give it a try. If i don’t like it then I won’t play it again. There website has a pretty cool virtual flyover of the holes and it looks nice.

Hatton 1 ahead thru 12 with Ancer and Webb Simpson right behind him. Too tired to watch the rest though.

Interested to know what everyone’s handicap is? Iv got nothing official but using the SwingU app it’s telling me mine is 19.2

I’m off 10 (9.9) but haven’t played a handicap qualifier since 29th September 2019. Since then I’ve been fitted for a full set of irons and regularly shooting sub 80 so hopefully that should come down to single figures.

Webb getting a lot of hate on twitter, thought he played really well all weekend. Another win on a Pete Dye course as well.

22 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Interested to know what everyone’s handicap is? Iv got nothing official but using the SwingU app it’s telling me mine is 19.2

18 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

6.1 I started playing again at the end of last summer after a gap of about 8 or 9 years, got given 6 off my 3 rounds. My only competitive round since was a 76 which put me up 0.1

My situation similar to both of these. Had a gap of a similar length, maybe playing 3 or 4 times casually during that whole period and got back into it last year. So don't have anything official. My scores would indicate i'm somewhere between 8-10. Goal was 5 at the start of the season but think that goal might have to wait for next season.

Webb Simpson wins on 22-, 1 clear of Abraham Ancer. Tyrell finished in T3rd at 20-. Good week for Sergio Garcia with a T5 at 19-
I was going to say it was good to see somebody who isn't just a "bomber" win, but although Simpson is something like 87th on Tour in driving distance, he still averages 300 yards.

Sergio dug a huge hole for himself in an interview over the weekend, basically said there were plenty players on Tour who deserved to get Covid 19 before Watney. A player testing positive has shook the rest of the field, who didn't seem to be taking it all that seriously. It's astonishing that Watney was allowed to wander around the practice areas while he was waiting on his test result.

PGA Tour players not invincible despite flouting social distancing rules at tournaments - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/53144555

Re the chat about using a driver or not. For me it’s probably the club I hit best so I use driver a lot. With regard to chipping I only ever use loft if essential. Putter or hybrid from off the green a much better option for me.

Things you wish you hadn’t posted. As stated above driver is generally the club I hit best. A real strength of my game. Not in the last 10 days or so though, just awful off the tee. Managing to remain competitive as my shots from 100-150 yards have been really consistent, an area I often struggle with. 

Played again tonight. Halved match. Highlight was a lovely birdie 2 on 15th. I then lipped out for birdie on 16. Felt great on 17th tee and duly took a triple bogey 7 but still managed to half the hole as my mate took 5 shots to get down from about 30 yards which included a shank and a chip shot straight into a bunker.

Stupid game [emoji23]

46 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

I took the plunge and purchased a set of Taylormade sims 5-sw with 3 wood and Driver along with a odyssey 2 ball thing. Threw in glove, bag, shoes and clobber. They arrive in 10 days and I’m genuinely excited about learning the game

68747470733a2f2f6d656469612e67697068792e

Not jealous in the slightest

Just now, quickoverayard said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png I don’t have cash lol managed to save a bit over this period so I thought I’d blow it on some new clubs. I’ve looked at reviews and stuff they seem to be decent enough clubs that’ll last me a few years.

Yeah, decent choice tbh.

Did you get the standard SIM driver or one of the variants?