Golfers Thread

Gaz

Has anyone got/used a triple track putter? Quite like look of them as like the lines on ball. Wonder if it’s worth the outlay

I quite like the ball/concept. Have used the ball and can definitely see it rolling nicely, but don’t like it sometimes when you look down and the lines are pointing the opposite way to the shot your hitting.

I think for it to work/outweighs the benefits of a putter fitting, you’d need use the putter combined with the triple track ball (chromesoft or ERC soft).

That all combined I personally would be more inclined to get a putter fitted thinking the benefits might be greater than a slightly gimmicky putter. Always think with these things it’s evident when almost nobody on any of the main tours seem to be using them for that they may be more of a gimmick than effective tool.

1 hour ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

I quite like the ball/concept. Have used the ball and can definitely see it rolling nicely, but don’t like it sometimes when you look down and the lines are pointing the opposite way to the shot your hitting.

I think for it to work/outweighs the benefits of a putter fitting, you’d need use the putter combined with the triple track ball (chromesoft or ERC soft).

That all combined I personally would be more inclined to get a putter fitted thinking the benefits might be greater than a slightly gimmicky putter. Always think with these things it’s evident when almost nobody on any of the main tours seem to be using them for that they may be more of a gimmick than effective tool.

I agree with all of this. Would also add that if you wanted this technology, you get a fairly similar effect by drawing a line with a sharpie round the circumference or half the circumference of the ball.  Obviously the three lines of the triple track would provide extra insurance that you were fully lined up but I've been using this for years and I think it works fine. Also means you can keep using your ball of choice and not have to change to the Callaway.

I've been wondering about range finders recently. What do you guys use to get your distances on the course? I've just been using the 19Birdies app on my phone. Has the benefit of being free but is a bit of a faff getting my phone out, refreshing the app etc. Was considering getting a Bushnell Phantom. Seems like a pretty compact device and, at ~£95, it's a lot cheaper than a lot of the range finders I've seen.

I agree with all of this. Would also add that if you wanted this technology, you get a fairly similar effect by drawing a line with a sharpie round the circumference or half the circumference of the ball.  Obviously the three lines of the triple track would provide extra insurance that you were fully lined up but I've been using this for years and I think it works fine. Also means you can keep using your ball of choice and not have to change to the Callaway.
I've been wondering about range finders recently. What do you guys use to get your distances on the course? I've just been using the 19Birdies app on my phone. Has the benefit of being free but is a bit of a faff getting my phone out, refreshing the app etc. Was considering getting a Bushnell Phantom. Seems like a pretty compact device and, at ~£95, it's a lot cheaper than a lot of the range finders I've seen.
I use a Garmin S2 watch, pretty basic in terms of the info in regards to yardages for the front, middle and rear of greens. You can also toggle through different lay up distances. Does the job for me, especially as they started putting the wee markers on the flags last year to show what part of the green it is in, and with my handicap the middle of the green is my target more often than not.

Anyone played St Michaels in Fife before? I’m playing there tomorrow for only a tenner.

Been round a few times after work as you can get on for like £14 normally. Decent enough course with some nice holes, like 2 separate courses though as (don’t know the exact history) they turned a 9 holer into an 18 and the woodland section is totally different to the front 9.

Little section between st mikes and leuchars has some good holes.

Regards GPS, I just use golf shot on my Apple Watch, gives Centre Green readings, that combined with out flag colour setup gives pretty accurate numbers - always within a couple of yards of peoples rangefinders.

I’d quite like one, but can’t really justify the £200 when you can get free GPS apps which basically do the same job.

Been round a few times after work as you can get on for like £14 normally. Decent enough course with some nice holes, like 2 separate courses though as (don’t know the exact history) they turned a 9 holer into an 18 and the woodland section is totally different to the front 9.

Little section between st mikes and leuchars has some good holes.

Regards GPS, I just use golf shot on my Apple Watch, gives Centre Green readings, that combined with out flag colour setup gives pretty accurate numbers - always within a couple of yards of peoples rangefinders.

I’d quite like one, but can’t really justify the £200 when you can get free GPS apps which basically do the same job.

Trouble with a lot of the free apps is that you are not allowed to use them in medal play, anything that has the capability to display elevation changes or wind strength is banned, if you can't disable those functions.

7 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

I’ve got a Bushnell Hybrid that’s both a rangefinder and has a gps display, think cost me about 330 last year. Don’t have a house, wife or kids (yet!) so I can justify paying that amount on my hobby 😂😂

18 holes at St Michaels completed. Beautiful little course that I will definitely play again. Round in 90 but I did birdie the par 4 8th. Wife enjoyed the walk as well

IMG_3666.jpg

Lovely par 3 with a big drop to the green and lovely views

Plans submitted to reduce Dougalston from 18 holes to 9. Not hard to guess what they want to do with the land.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/popular-scots-course-to-be-reduced-from-18-to-9-holes

We have a new resident at Bishopbriggs, a very young fawn has been spotted on the course. The captain posted a video clip on our members Facebook group, need to keep an eye out for it over the weekend.

3 balls now given the go ahead, we are hoping to run our first competition on 4th July.

Speith hit a 66 today, even with a triple bogey 7 on his card. Scorched his way around the back 9. Poulter currently tied for the lead on -7.

Did anyone read Rory's comments yesterday? Said he can't understand European players who have decided not to play in the US and have stayed at home. Bit harsh on players with young families imo.IMG_20200618_190700.jpg

3 balls now given the go ahead, we are hoping to run our first competition on 4th July.

Speith hit a 66 today, even with a triple bogey 7 on his card. Scorched his way around the back 9. Poulter currently tied for the lead on -7.

Did anyone read Rory's comments yesterday? Said he can't understand European players who have decided not to play in the US and have stayed at home. Bit harsh on players with young families imo.IMG_20200618_190700.thumb.jpg.4d7a479afddde14de72ffe6966a99682.jpg

Hadn’t seen the comments. Know that a few didn’t fancy the two week quarantine on the other end. Fitzpatrick flew in a few weeks ago to get ahead of game I believe. Few weeks and Euro tour events start I think

I play a fairly basic 9 hole course. Best ever 9 hole round was +2. For 18, was around +12. Today I went round in +3 for 18. Including a level final 9. Absolutely delighted, lot of wedge practice has really helped. Plus been really working on gripping driver correctly and getting a lot of great drives. Have added about 30 yards to irons from 6 months ago. Things are looking up! *queue a disaster next round*

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Did anyone read Rory's comments yesterday? Said he can't understand European players who have decided not to play in the US and have stayed at home. Bit harsh on players with young families imo.IMG_20200618_190700.jpg

Typical Spieth in many ways. Looking at the stats Russell Knox seems to have gone from a guy who rarely missed a cut to being on a bad run. He missed 4 successive cuts before the lockdown and another last week.  Struggling again this week with a two over first round. Currently T121.