Golfers Thread

Gaz

Depends what you mean by a "handful of times." To me that means you're basically a beginner in which case I wouldn't even think of £2400 worth of clubs unless you're absolutely loaded and money is no object. If I was you, I'd get in touch with a pal who plays if you have one and ask if he's got any old ones kicking about and start with them. They won't be perfect but they'll at least give you a chance to see if you enjoy the game and want to take it seriously. Failing that, I'm sure you could find old clubs somewhere for very cheap.
Even if you were considering buying new ones, focusing on one brand is a mistake IMO. Should always try different brands and see which fits you best. Pros use a single brand because they're paid a load of money to do so, the ones that aren't have very mixed bags (see Brooks Koepka). 

Yeah a beginner, I’ve spoken to my mate and he’s giving me a shot of his old clubs in a couple of days as he thought it was mental.... as I only like the look of them, he’s of 3 and plays with blades but I’m getting normal irons and he also uses a sim driver so I’ll get a blast with that.

Funny game is golf. Spent Friday and Sunday scuffing my way round the course, losing a few balls in the most glorious weather. 9 holes tonight in the pishing rain and wind and was hitting the ball lovely. One of the most satisfying things in golf is holding your score together in poor conditions.

Looking for a bit advice here folks, decided to take up golf this year.... played a handful of times in the past and I’m looking to kit myself out. Looked at Taylormade sims irons driver and woods with Taylormade putter coming in about £2400 or do I buy a package set for £600?? I don’t know how I go about testing clubs etc ( especially with this lockdown )

I’d almost certainly say to get some second hand stuff off eBay, some great deals going round on 3-5 year old gear that will be fine for what you need to begin with. Basically everything I’ve read and seen shows that the improvement for a beginner to average player on new equipment compared to that from around 2015-16 is minimal. the only advantage of new clubs - as I mentioned a couple of posts back - is being able to get fit.

However , If you were going to invest £2,000 on clubs and getting fitted. Id say to use that money book a block of lessons with a pro and a second hand set to begin with, and your money will be far better invested in improving your game, than buying expensive brand new clubs. 10 lessons with a decent pro would set you back say £400 your fundamentals will be set and they should be able to build you a pretty solid swing and setup to move forward with - more so than a £2,000 brand new set of clubs.

Looking for a bit advice here folks, decided to take up golf this year.... played a handful of times in the past and I’m looking to kit myself out. Looked at Taylormade sims irons driver and woods with Taylormade putter coming in about £2400 or do I buy a package set for £600?? I don’t know how I go about testing clubs etc ( especially with this lockdown )

I'll be getting a new set if irons soon I'll no doubt be selling my Wilson staff c200 irons, 4-pw I'll give you a shout when and if there available if your still looking, like said above you will get more out of lessons than you will out of a fitting at this stage in your game

I'll be getting a new set if irons soon I'll no doubt be selling my Wilson staff c200 irons, 4-pw I'll give you a shout when and if there available if your still looking, like said above you will get more out of lessons than you will out of a fitting at this stage in your game

Yeah perfect mate cheers

I just started out and built my set for £500 from a number of sources. Irons ex demo from american golf (callaway xr), bag new from american golf (wilson staff stand bag), lob wedge (fazer xr) new from american golf, driver off the for sale section on golf monthly forum (ping g10), fairway woods off facebook marketplace (ping g5) and hybrid (callaway xr) discounted from decathlon.

Just need a putter now as still using old donnay effort i borrowed from brother.

Think i have a pretty good set that will do me a few years until im good enough to merit upgrading.

Spent about £250 on lessons so far.

I’ve been playing golf for over forty years now, and have in the past, had what would be classed as expensive clubs. At present, I play off a 12 handicap, so decent without being brilliant, but my current irons are the best I’ve ever had. I’m currently on my second set of them - Lynx Predators. £299 the set, brand new. Absolutely love them. Thinking about buying a set and sticking them in the garage to bring out in two years or so to replace my current set.

I have found that when it comes to golf equipment, it doesn’t matter if they cost £299 or £999 - if they work for you, you are confident using them, they don’t have to be the fanciest name or most expensive brand.

Just back from my third game this entire year. After being keech the first two rounds, and not caring a bit, shot 40 out, 40 back, for 80 - 12 = 68. If I could shoot that every round, every time, where do I sign? 😀

I had my first round of golf since last October tonight, typically after 3 months of glorious sunshine I had two hours of rain and wind. On the plus side it was a quick as f**k round as we (like most other clubs) are just playing 2 balls with 10 min gaps. The pish weather obvs put a few folk off as well. Anyway, got it round in 70 (Par 68), mainly through leaving the driver in the bag. The course is still dry enough to be getting in wedge range with a 4 wood on most par-4s. Great to be back out playing again. 

I’m really enjoying the 10mins gaps, far less waiting around and a far better flow. Obviously not sustainable longer term as so many less people couldn’t play but the course flows so much more smoothly that the 6-7min gaps in the summer normally.

2 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

I’m really enjoying the 10mins gaps, far less waiting around and a far better flow. Obviously not sustainable longer term as so many less people couldn’t play but the course flows so much more smoothly that the 6-7min gaps in the summer normally.

Lucky you. There are guys at our place whose wives obviously allowed them 5 hours out of the house for golf, and they are using every second of it despite only being 2 balls

Lucky you. There are guys at our place whose wives obviously allowed them 5 hours out of the house for golf, and they are using every second of it despite only being 2 balls
My round last Friday was 2 hours 50 minutes, and that was with the two in front of us being slow. They had 2 clear holes in front of them at the 12th and they let us play through, by the time we were on the 17th green they were just teeing off on 16. No excuse for it.

5 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

This has been my experience too, very speedy and smooth rounds. My course has a couple of fairly bad bottlenecks where a few holes cross which still did block up a little on the first day back but no issues whatsoever on the other days I've played and it's just been a delight.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

My round last Friday was 2 hours 50 minutes, and that was with the two in front of us being slow. They had 2 clear holes in front of them at the 12th and they let us play through, by the time we were on the 17th green they were just teeing off on 16. No excuse for it.

This is disgraceful. 5 hours rounds and making up 2 clear holes should never happen in 2 balls. Not even like these are competitive rounds in the strict sense of the word. 

11 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

It's the usual suspects. The guys who stand 20 yards behind their partner, then finally move to their ball, but stop for a chat on the way, while seeing it as a badge of honour that "I've never had to let someone through in 20 years". They are also the first to complain if it's a bit slow in the medal, oblivious to the chaos they cause every other day of the week.

ETA: I was exaggerating a bit saying they were using the entire 5 hours, but yesterday it took us nearly 2 hours to play the first 7, at which point we got waved through. An hour and half for the remainder, and we weren't exactly hitting every fairway and green.

Edited by Mark Connolly

Another round today. Didn’t play as well as last round but still decent. Round in 82-10=72. Two down after 4 holes but managed to win one up in a match where opponent was getting 9 shots. Pleasing birdie 4 on a hole that I’ve made a real mess of since we got back to playing. Round in bang on 3 hours.

Edit to add only 27 putts today which tidied up a scrappy round. Tricky wind today.

Was left disappointed with the Tiger documentary tonight. Expected a bit more of a deep dive into his troubles. Was good to relive some of the greatness he showed though and to see Butch back on my telly screen. Will be interested to see what others thoughts were on it.

Was left disappointed with the Tiger documentary tonight. Expected a bit more of a deep dive into his troubles. Was good to relive some of the greatness he showed though and to see Butch back on my telly screen. Will be interested to see what others thoughts were on it.

Didn’t watch it but have recorded it so will report back. My anticipation was that it would acknowledge his troubles but not dwell on them.