Golfers Thread

Gaz

On the way home from today’s round, drove around for a bit looking for a banjo and a coo, to see if I could hit it on the arse. As with the round itself, alas, no joy.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Is that course completely closed? Or just not been maintained over lockdown?

That’s it closed. Rumour is The Eden Project are moving in. I’m raging about it but the simple truth is there wasn’t enough members.  Had there been a decent sized membership then I doubt the council would have got away with it.

Played another 9 holes today(back 9). Drove it well but absolutely awful stuff otherwise. A par on the 10th and a somewhat fortunate par on 15 where my pitch which was way too strong hit the pin and stopped stone dead. Grim otherwise. Only managed to win one hole and that was with a double bogey 7 on a hole where my opponent lost a ball [emoji23]

Playing 18 tomorrow. Hopefully better fare then.

Booking for the Edinburgh municipal courses opens in just under an hour. I'll wait until the rush subsides before trying for a tee time. 

What a weekend to get back to it. Some horrible shots but a net 67 on Saturday was brilliant.

New fitted irons are so easy and consistent to hit. Always sceptical about the amount you could improve from a fully fitted set of clubs, having got down to 10 with a second hand eBay set. But now thinking I need fitted for my woods as well, as the irons have made such a difference.

55 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

What a weekend to get back to it. Some horrible shots but a net 67 on Saturday was brilliant.

New fitted irons are so easy and consistent to hit. Always sceptical about the amount you could improve from a fully fitted set of clubs, having got down to 10 with a second hand eBay set. But now thinking I need fitted for my woods as well, as the irons have made such a difference.

It does make a difference, even if it’s just tiny thing.

My old man and I both got fitted at the same time, both standard lie and loft, and the same shaft. He has one extra wrap in his grips, and there’s no way either of us can hit each other’s clubs!

The pro also fitted me for a driver, went through the full show just to hand me the one off the shelf, but knowing it’s right for me instead of having that tiny doubt makes a huge difference in confidence with it. I’m sure accuracy will follow eventually

Well attempted to play golf today dont know what sport I was playing but it wasnt golf [emoji38] went round 8 over my hc which is 20, greens were in superb shape kept forgetting to take photos I'll get more on wed when I'm up,

Second at Sandyhills 20200601_114551.jpg

Played my second round at 5:30 yesterday evening. Another glorious few hours on the course.

Game was significantly better than Friday but still fairly dire. My driving and tee shots used to be the foundation of my game but it appears I've forgotten how to hit my woods during lockdown 😄.

Managed to nab the last tee time at 8:03 tomorrow evening too so hopefully squeeze 9 holes in before it gets dark.

Number 5 on Newmachar Swailend yesterday:

IMG_20200531_181519.thumb.jpg.29391d47fc1b6414885a041764526a54.jpg

Looking for a bit advice here folks, decided to take up golf this year.... played a handful of times in the past and I’m looking to kit myself out. Looked at Taylormade sims irons driver and woods with Taylormade putter coming in about £2400 or do I buy a package set for £600?? I don’t know how I go about testing clubs etc ( especially with this lockdown )

Played another 9 holes today(back 9). Drove it well but absolutely awful stuff otherwise. A par on the 10th and a somewhat fortunate par on 15 where my pitch which was way too strong hit the pin and stopped stone dead. Grim otherwise. Only managed to win one hole and that was with a double bogey 7 on a hole where my opponent lost a ball [emoji23]
Playing 18 tomorrow. Hopefully better fare then.

Having been dreadful yesterday I played really well today. Out in 37 with 5 pars, 3 bogeys and a birdie. Steady on the back 9 and won my match 6&5. Stupid game [emoji23]

3 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Looking for a bit advice here folks, decided to take up golf this year.... played a handful of times in the past and I’m looking to kit myself out. Looked at Taylormade sims irons driver and woods with Taylormade putter coming in about £2400 or do I buy a package set for £600?? I don’t know how I go about testing clubs etc ( especially with this lockdown )

Depends what you mean by a "handful of times." To me that means you're basically a beginner in which case I wouldn't even think of £2400 worth of clubs unless you're absolutely loaded and money is no object. If I was you, I'd get in touch with a pal who plays if you have one and ask if he's got any old ones kicking about and start with them. They won't be perfect but they'll at least give you a chance to see if you enjoy the game and want to take it seriously. Failing that, I'm sure you could find old clubs somewhere for very cheap.

Even if you were considering buying new ones, focusing on one brand is a mistake IMO. Should always try different brands and see which fits you best. Pros use a single brand because they're paid a load of money to do so, the ones that aren't have very mixed bags (see Brooks Koepka). 

On 31/05/2020 at 16:11, Alert Mongoose said:

Yeah. You wouldn’t find a more peaceful round (until you get to the bit beside the zoo) anywhere.

That's an absolute sin outside of 3 points at Dens and Tannadice about the only other reason to goto Dundee 😉

Not been able to ply golf now coming up for 5 years, had one hip replaced 2 years ago, was meant to get the other done this month, its absolutely killing my back.  Hopefully one day but these photos could make me cry 😢