Golfers Thread

Gaz

As I still play football on a Saturday I've not really been able to justify a membership down here, but joined the Sport Aberdeen monthly pass this year, which lets you play the five council courses (Kings Links, Nigg Bay and 3 x Hazelhead) for £25 a month, and joined one of them for £100 so I could get the handicap back and play in tournaments. Club's opening on Friday as with everyone else, but as it's ostensibly a council course, and they're allowing pay-to-play bookings, it'll likely be a nightmare to get a tee time for at least the first few weeks. Fingers crossed can get something for the weekend, but not confident.

My guess is that once we get going on Friday, under some strict guidelines, it won’t be long until the guidelines are relaxed a bit more, then a bit more. Our correspondance says this phase one will be reviewed after one week. I cannot see, for example, no access to a toilet or changing room lasting long, then maybe a guest will be allowed, then a takeaway coffee or drink being allowed - then something else. We haven’t been able to do much in about ten weeks, bar queue to get into a supermarket or go for a walk. Once the cork is out the bottle and we can just get going again, things will move a bit faster in regard to the strictness of all these initial rules. Sometimes you think life is now only going to consist of walks and supermarket queues - but it isn’t. Things are moving, at last.

Carnage on the club Facebook page today as a lot of folk suddenly realised that hundreds of members trying to book into just 12 tee slots per hour doesn't go to well. As expected the whole day was booked out almost instantly, right up to the last time slot at 8.40 pm, which will get you 6 holes at a push.

The club are putting steps in place to stop people playing on 2 consecutive days in the initial phase to try and allow more people to play. I'm hoping things calm down pretty quickly once folk start going back to work and I can get my midweek bookings no problem.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Carnage on the club Facebook page today as a lot of folk suddenly realised that hundreds of members trying to book into just 12 tee slots per hour doesn't go to well. As expected the whole day was booked out almost instantly, right up to the last time slot at 8.40 pm, which will get you 6 holes at a push.

The club are putting steps in place to stop people playing on 2 consecutive days in the initial phase to try and allow more people to play. I'm hoping things calm down pretty quickly once folk start going back to work and I can get my midweek bookings no problem.

Our booking system opens at 8:30pm this evening and I'm dreading this. Have the day off work because I needed to work the bank holiday yesterday so will take literally any time.

Fortunately we have two courses so hoping that can spread the demand a bit and most that want to play can.

Our booking system opens in 40 mins. My iPad is at 100% charge, I have already logged into the BRS system, and I am on ultra high alert - not seen since I received a time slot to go online and get my Springsteen on Broadway tickets. I’m a coiled spring... 😄

That was quite a rush actually!

There was a little count down timer on the BRS till the tee times unlocked, really heightened the suspense! 

Then of course the time I was going to book was already booked! How anyone could have been faster than me I've no idea. Shat myself but just clicked another one and got it. 13:52 on Friday, ya dancer.

The times have barely been online 5 minutes though and all the times are gone, madness.

12 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

That was quite a rush actually!

There was a little count down timer on the BRS till the tee times unlocked, really heightened the suspense! 

Then of course the time I was going to book was already booked! How anyone could have been faster than me I've no idea. Shat myself but just clicked another one and got it. 13:52 on Friday, ya dancer.

The times have barely been online 5 minutes though and all the times are gone, madness.

I’m sticking my tee time on ebay.

I've no intention of trying to get a time until Monday, but given that I managed to lose a ball hitting into the net in the garden yesterday, maybe I should just forget it. [emoji85]

Nice one.
I haven’t touched a club for the duration of the lockdown. Looking forward to it with no great expectation.

Could all P&Bers who are heading out sometime for their first game in about ten weeks do me a favour? As we are all playing bounce games, in twoballs, and don’t have access to locker rooms - any chance of posting a photo on here of a nice shot of your course, taken on your phones? I’m going to have my phone and car keys, etc, with me rather than in a locker. I’d love to see your pics, and supposedly the weather is decent. I’ll take a couple from my place. 

Edited by pozbaird

My mate’s club booking system is allowing guests to be added to tee times. Could be a mistake and I’ll not get on, but currently booked on for next week. Great scenes.

Could be they’ve made a decision linked to desperation for some cash??
Many clubs will be struggling badly.

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Could be they’ve made a decision linked to desperation for some cash??
Many clubs will be struggling badly.

On 25/05/2020 at 16:10, Honest_Man#1 said:

Only issue with that is that the golf clubs will then be operating with zero income. With clubhouses and club shops shut, they’re literally earning nothing other than any monthly direct debits from members who didn’t pay their membership at the start of the season.

Depends on each club I suppose if the staff they’ll have to have will cost them more than they take in. 

Yeah, as I said above when most thought it would be weeks/months until guests are allowed, I think that may be suicidal policy for a lot of clubs.

I've no intention of trying to get a time until Monday, but given that I managed to lose a ball hitting into the net in the garden yesterday, maybe I should just forget it. [emoji85]
Change of plan, managed to get a slot on Friday at 12.50. Think somebody must have managed to get a a Saturday time and cancelled their Friday spot.

It's to be scorchio, so some poor b*****d will have to try and play golf while not being put off by the sight of my legs in shorts.

Our tee booking opened on Sunday night at 6.30 and after clubv1 had a number of hissy fits managed to book a time for Friday at 13.53, and my mate got Saturday and Sunday for 10.00 so 3 times in the first 3 days of opening is not bad 😂

My dad plays at Turnhouse in Edinburgh and they've split the course into two on the booking system and the booking system opened at 7.00 Sunday morning and he logged in at 7.30 and the earliest time he could get was 18:55 on Friday night, to be expected when they have that many members tbf 

Not expecting much from the first game back, but hopefully over the weekend can look to break 80 and get back to consistency 

Just skimming through the BBC news website and saw this story. Didn’t click on it, don’t want to read it, but if the answer to their question isn’t ‘It means walkers can now fcuk off back to any other place on the planet that isn’t a golf course for a walk, it’s a big old planet right enough’, then I don’t want to know.

8334FA1B-82C6-419F-868D-E83E54898CDB.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird