Golfers Thread

Gaz

Our course all green keepers are still working 4 hours 6 days a week so by the end of this the course should hopefully be in great condition. Had the dog down today and all divots on the holes I walked had been repaired, greens being cut and swooshed. With a long time not playing, and the GKs still working the course should be incredible whenever we’re allowed to play again.

Not being able to play is doing my head in.

The courses here had all scheduled coring to happen just as the lock-down came in.  Means when we restart golf we are in for pretty dodgy greens until spring comes round.

Edited by expatowner

If anybody is stuck at home and wants a decent podcast to listen to, the last 2 McKellar Golf podcasts have been excellent. Lawrence Donegan and John Huggan are the regular hosts, last week they had Geoff Ogilvy as guest, and this week Padraig Harrington. Both well worth a listen.

8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

That’s the Open cancelled emoji22.png

I know it might not end up being possible but it's a bit poor that they've not even tried to fit it in later in the year. It could've been played as late as Sept I would have thought. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

32 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

New dates for the other three major have been announced. Looks like the Open has given way to make sure the Ryder Cup is still in the schedule.

Shame. Would lose any of the other 3 to make way for the Open easily, by far my favourite major. I'd even take a December Open with all the pros playing to shitty winter greens and off mats, that'd sort the men from the boys.

I know it might not end up being possible but it's a bit poor that they've not even tried to fit it in later in the year. It could've been played as late as Sept I would have thought. 
They would have to reduce the field by quite a margin. Field of 156 usually starting at 6.30ish in the morning on the first two days are still playing until about 9pm. Lot less daylight later in the year.

Royal St. George's will now host next year, with St. Andrew's then hosting the 150th open in 2022. Hoylake was set for 2022, with Troon hosting in 2023 to mark the centenary of the first Open held there, be interesting to see what the R&A do with those 2.

Tonight I'm going to do some putting practice, with the aim of holing one at 8pm in time for the clapping just so I can pretend I'm playing in the Masters.

Yep Masters weekend one of my favourite sporting times. Seve’s birthday today. A thousand stories of his great escapes. “Billy I see a gap.