Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

What effect will this have on the condition of the courses?  I assume that the green keeping staff aren't deemed essential, so are the courses being left to their own devices.  I wonder how long it will take to get them playable again?

Given most of the green keepers would work in isolation out in the fresh air in the middle of nowhere, I'm not sure they need to stay off.....not much difference between going for a walk and playing golf (solo) really.....

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Hopefully this ends golf and all those ridiculous trouser manufacturers also go tits up. 

Apart from Pitch and Putt. Used to love a game of pitch and putt.

^^^got his hole in the bunker up the pitch and putt as a lad type post.

On 11/02/2020 at 20:14, RiG said:

Signed up for some lessons at Murrayfield in April. Three x 1 hour lesson package for £75 which seems decent value given a normal one hour lesson is £70. Hopefully go some way to sorting my haphazard driving.

Unsurprisingly these lessons have been cancelled. Disappointed but it's the right thing to do given the circumstances.

What effect will this have on the condition of the courses?  I assume that the green keeping staff aren't deemed essential, so are the courses being left to their own devices.  I wonder how long it will take to get them playable again?

It was clarified through the SGU that ground staff were essential in terms of security and care of the course. We have 5 staff on the greenkeeping team. 2 of them have been kept on full time while the other 3 have been put on furlough with 80% wages through the government scheme, as have the bar staff. Would imagine it will be a similar situation at a lot of clubs.

42 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

It was clarified through the SGU thst ground staff were essential in terms if security and care of the course. We have 5 staff on the greenkeeping team. 2 of them have been kept on full time while the other 3 have been put on furlough with 80% wages through the government scheme, as have the bar staff. Would imagine it will be a similar situation at a lot of clubs.

Funnily enough, i've just had an email from the greenskeepers laying out what they are doing and what they are allowed to do.  It's a reduced workload, but my fears of the course being allowed to go to seed are unfounded, thankfully.

Funnily enough, i've just had an email from the greenskeepers laying out what they are doing and what they are allowed to do.  It's a reduced workload, but my fears of the course being allowed to go to seed are unfounded, thankfully.
Saw the list of what they are allowed to do, some fairly stringent limits on the amount of times they are supposed to cut certain areas. How that would ever be actually policed is another matter.

For those at a loose end today, and let's face it who isn't, Sky are showing the entire final days coverage of the 2016 Open from Troon.

Golf at its absolute finest.

Yes caught some of that the other day. Brought back some great memories of watching it live on laptop in a beautiful apartment in Mallorca while sipping a few beers. Brilliant golf.

Yes caught some of that the other day. Brought back some great memories of watching it live on laptop in a beautiful apartment in Mallorca while sipping a few beers. Brilliant golf.
My wife bought me a ticket for the Sunday for my birthday that year. In general I prefer to watch the final round on TV but that turned out perfectly as the winner was only ever coming from the final pairing. The buzz in the crowd was something else that day. A fantastic experience.

Just finished watching it as well. Brought back a few memories watching that. A glorious Open.

Was thinking actually that, if greenkeepers are still allowed to be at work, might do the course a fair amount of good. There'll be no foot or trolley traffic on worn down areas which is frequently noted as an issue by our head greenkeeper, it hasn't rained up here for weeks and our greens were due to have the tining machine over them. I'm hopeful of a beautifully manicured course when we're allowed to play again.

Just finished watching it as well. Brought back a few memories watching that. A glorious Open.
Was thinking actually that, if greenkeepers are still allowed to be at work, might do the course a fair amount of good. There'll be no foot or trolley traffic on worn down areas which is frequently noted as an issue by our head greenkeeper, it hasn't rained up here for weeks and our greens were due to have the tining machine over them. I'm hopeful of a beautifully manicured course when we're allowed to play again.
Think we'll all be hoping the same. Ask any greenkeeper and they will tell you the bane of their lives are the arseholes who don't replace divots, repair pitchmarks, or drag trolleys where they aren't meant to go.

Think we'll all be hoping the same. Ask any greenkeeper and they will tell you the bane of their lives are the arseholes who don't replace divots, repair pitchmarks, or drag trolleys where they aren't meant to go.

I would imagine a good many courses will be working with less greenkeeper staff than normal. Hopefully they can do the basics to keep courses in good nick and as you suggest will certainly benefit from the lack of course traffic.