Golfers Thread

Gaz

10 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

That is disgraceful. I don't even know how players concentrate on their shots in America knowing that as soon as they make contact with the ball there's going to be a few hundred morons shouting "get in the hole", let alone doing it in the middle of their backswing.

At one point this shouting "get in the hole" felt like a phase that these idiots would soon get tired of but they still do it at every event without fail.

Edited by Mr Hahn

Any idea how that strength of field thing is measured?
Glad Riley dismissed Azinger's comment for the ignorant pish that it is. 
Not sure how exactly it is calculated, but it's all down to world ranking points. Higher the world ranking of the entrants = higher strength of field.

Playing the Bruce at Kinross on monday. What can I expect, trying to find a website with some yardages etc but can just see a scorecard. Excited for it, was a deal on wowcher. Night stay, dinner, wine, breakfast and golf. 60 quid a head or so

31 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Playing the Bruce at Kinross on monday. What can I expect, trying to find a website with some yardages etc but can just see a scorecard. Excited for it, was a deal on wowcher. Night stay, dinner, wine, breakfast and golf. 60 quid a head or so

Bruce is easier than the Montgomery. Lovely flat course tree lined so need to be fairly accurate, 5 par 5s and most reachable in 2 for medium-long  length hitter.

par 4 6th signature hole. 260 yard par  on an island green, dont be fooled and lay up with a medium iron...

Bruce is easier than the Montgomery. Lovely flat course tree lined so need to be fairly accurate, 5 par 5s and most reachable in 2 for medium-long  length hitter.

par 4 6th signature hole. 260 yard par  on an island green, dont be fooled and lay up with a medium iron...

Haven't played Kinross for years, it used to be a regular choice for our work's outing. First time I was there it was just one course, and they were in the process of building the new 18 holes, they then split the original 18 into two so the two courses were fairly evenly split between old and new holes. Was back a couple of times after, courses were always in very good nick.

Posting on the basis that it can't get much worse for him, Calum Hill had a nightmare in the first round in Qatar, hitting a 9 over round of 80. Not as bad a day as Eddie Pepperel though, who was dq'd after fucking up his scorecard. He did actually sign for the right score, but his playing partner had made two mistakes on his card, and when Eddie fixed it, he fixed one of the wrong holes on his card. Maybe a harsh punishment, but given he has been dq'd before for a card mix up, and that he was fixing a mistake, you would think he would take a bit more care.

Posting on the basis that it can't get much worse for him, Calum Hill had a nightmare in the first round in Qatar, hitting a 9 over round of 80. Not as bad a day as Eddie Pepperel though, who was dq'd after fucking up his scorecard. He did actually sign for the right score, but his playing partner had made two mistakes on his card, and when Eddie fixed it, he fixed one of the wrong holes on his card. Maybe a harsh punishment, but given he has been dq'd before for a card mix up, and that he was fixing a mistake, you would think he would take a bit more care.

I’ve a feeling it was deliberate to show how ridiculous it is that Reed can blatantly cheat and get away with it whereas a minor mistake on a scorecard leads to disqualification. It’s the type of thing Pepperell would do and it’s pretty well known that the 2 really don’t like each other.

My turn to jinx a Scottish golfer this week. David Drysdale one shot off the lead in the Qatar Masters after 54 holes having shot an excellent 64 today. He’s never won a European Tour event in almost 500 starts. Scott Jameson also top 10 but he’s 5 off the lead.

On PGA tour Russell Knox has missed the cut in his last 4 starts which is most unlike him. Both Knox and Martin Laird are in the field for The Players event next week.

Tiger has back problems again and will miss The Players next week after also missing Bay Hill this weekend.

Drysdale was very unlucky not go be tied for the lead, he had an eagle putt lip out that seemed to defy gravity not to drop in the hole.

My turn to jinx a Scottish golfer this week. David Drysdale one shot off the lead in the Qatar Masters after 54 holes having shot an excellent 64 today. He’s never won a European Tour event in almost 500 starts. Scott Jameson also top 10 but he’s 5 off the lead.
On PGA tour Russell Knox has missed the cut in his last 4 starts which is most unlike him. Both Knox and Martin Laird are in the field for the The Players event next week.

If David Drysdale wins it will be some story. To have the level of consistency he's had in his career without winning is quite something.

Mate of mine tipped leishman at the start of the week at 40s , 2 shots behind Hatton but rory in a similar position. Should make for an interesting final round.
Strange day at Bay Hill tbh, first time ever that there hasn't been a round in the 60s on the Saturday.

Meanwhile, in Eddie Pepperell land...