Golfers Thread

Gaz

Unfortunately Bob cancelled out the eagle with a double on 17.

Been a hackathon the last wee while as all the leaders have been taking scenic routes.

Ah bugger, hadn’t spotted that! Yeah last 5 mins feels like all the guys at top been making errors (bar Reed and Bryson). Who you fancy to win?

At the Puerto Rico open, Viktor Hovland birdied the last to claim his first win. if the putt hadn't hit the back of the hole and dropped in he would have had a 20 footer coming back the other way.

Disappointing 3 over final round for Martin Laird, but he still finishes tied 6th.

40 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

I quite like reed for reasons talked about earlier in thread. But totally get why people don’t. Not a fan of bryson though.

I think personality-wise Reed obviously rubs a lot of people up the wrong way but there's no doubting he's got a lovely swing and it's actually fun to watch him play.

DeChambeau by contrast takes about 10 minutes to hit every shot and his technique is awkward as f**k to watch. I'd rather neither of them won but if I had to choose, like you, it's Reed by a country mile.

I also realise the irony of an duffing, shanking amateur like myself commenting on someone who looks like they might win a WGC event today's swing.

Speaking of which, I had my first round of the season today on the course. It was baltic, blowing a 3-4 club gale and the whole course was on winter greens. I hit some nice shots, I also had two shanks. Welcome back golf season, I've missed you.

I think personality-wise Reed obviously rubs a lot of people up the wrong way but there's no doubting he's got a lovely swing and it's actually fun to watch him play.
DeChambeau by contrast takes about 10 minutes to hit every shot and his technique is awkward as f**k to watch. I'd rather neither of them won but if I had to choose, like you, it's Reed by a country mile.
I also realise the irony of an duffing, shanking amateur like myself commenting on someone who looks like they might win a WGC event today's swing.
Speaking of which, I had my first round of the season today on the course. It was baltic, blowing a 3-4 club gale and the whole course was on winter greens. I hit some nice shots, I also had two shanks. Welcome back golf season, I've missed you.

Played a round of 18 today myself. Driving and irons not bad but criminal around greens. Been forcing myself to use wedges at every opportunity last few rounds, will help me in long run

Played a round of 18 today myself. Driving and irons not bad but criminal around greens. Been forcing myself to use wedges at every opportunity last few rounds, will help me in long run

Using wedges round the green may not be the way forward. For most players even down to high end single figures a club that gets the ball on the deck quickly is easier to hit IMHO. Obviously loft is needed for some shots around the green but far from essential for most shots.

Using wedges round the green may not be the way forward. For most players even down to high end single figures a club that gets the ball on the deck quickly is easier to hit IMHO. Obviously loft is needed for some shots around the green but far from essential for most shots.

Aye, I was playing really well for a spell using 8 iron for most shots around green. But just for last few weekends as winter and no tournament been using wedges

14 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I was having all kinds of nightmares round the greens and my scores have come tumbling down using this tactic after looking to you tube to help improve my woeful short game

. last few rounds have been a revelation, chipping like Phil. 

Basically comes down to understanding the ratio between how far the ball travels in the air , to how long it rolls. Always choose   the shortest safe landing spot, a pace or 2 on to the green,  and let it  and let it release up to the hole like a putt. 
what club to use depends on how much green to work with

For me 1:1 ratio is PW ( ie 4 paces in air, 4 paces roll etc) 

1:2 is 8 iron, ( 4 paces in air, 8 paces roll)

1:3  6 iron ( 4 in air, 12 roll)

if less green to work with, only then go for loft

for me 2:1 is 56 degree wedge ( 8 paces in air, 4 roll).

If you can , putt the thing. Generally at worst you are looking at a 3 putt, not a chunk and silly scores.

if the greens are running slow go 1 more ( 9 I, 7i, 5i, ) fast add 1 ( GW, 9I, 7i) . Similarly for up or downhill. 

This method has the following advantages: 

1 you end up hitting the ball with lower loft clubs so hit with less power, which is more consistent and less moving parts which is less likely to break down and hit the dreaded chunk. 

2 . With a lower ball flight, a topped or chunked shot goes a much similar distance and flight to one hit pure, trying a Phil flop shot needs to be struck perfect or the flight will be very short or long and have a much bigger spread and will be far less consistent.

Using this method has done the most to get my scores tumbling. I highly recommend it!