Golfers Thread

Gaz

I quite enjoy the theatre of Patrick Reed tbh. Maybe that’s the football in me

Turns out his caddy is an arse too.

Presidents Cup: Patrick Reed's caddie involved in altercation win fan - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/50792779

The internationals opened up a 4 point lead after the morning session, but the Americans managed to claw it back to 2 points in the afternoon. Tiger had played as well as anyone in the first two days, but sat out all day on Saturday, so he might be struggling a bit fitness wise.

The US won 8 points from the singles to lift the trophy 16-14. Woods won again, and Reed finally managed to get a point on the board. This really should have been a no contest though, and Els and his squad with 7 rookies on board did a great job of taking it down to the last few games. Cam Smith and Sungjae IM were among the most impressive for the internationals, IM went from being 1 down against Woodland after 8 holes to being 4 up and shaking hands on the 15th, while Smith beat Justin Thomas who had played very well in the previous 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Usual mayhem at the South African Open in Jo'burg. Because they use 2 courses there was a huge field of 240, which will be cut to the usual 70 plus ties for the weekend. The lead is currently -9, with the cut projected to be -4. Connor Syme is best placed Scot, just birdied the 16th to move within 1 of the leaders.

Patrick "The Cheat" Reed has sent a cease-and-desist letter to Brandel Chamblee to get him to stop calling him a cheat.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/patrick-reed-threatens-legal-action-against-top-golf-analyst?fbclid=IwAR2jTfi_kXe59r4becC-nBz6SjBsRjQ8kBlfaByHt2Y1I2pDqCDfTbC5KoA

Now normally I'd be in favour of anyone stopping Chamblee from speaking, but Reed is just outing himself as a bigger and bigger fud all the time.

Usual mayhem at the South African Open in Jo'burg. Because they use 2 courses there was a huge field of 240, which will be cut to the usual 70 plus ties for the weekend. The lead is currently -9, with the cut projected to be -4. Connor Syme is best placed Scot, just birdied the 16th to move within 1 of the leaders.

And in typical fashion Drysdale was -4 and looking fine for the cut and threw in a triple on 12 to miss the cut by 2.

Patrick "The Cheat" Reed has sent a cease-and-desist letter to Brandel Chamblee to get him to stop calling him a cheat.
https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/patrick-reed-threatens-legal-action-against-top-golf-analyst?fbclid=IwAR2jTfi_kXe59r4becC-nBz6SjBsRjQ8kBlfaByHt2Y1I2pDqCDfTbC5KoA
Now normally I'd be in favour of anyone stopping Chamblee from speaking, but Reed is just outing himself as a bigger and bigger fud all the time.
Can only think he and his lawyer haven't discovered Twitter yet, their postage bill will be astronomical when they do. The worst thing about it all is he genuinely sees himself as some sort of victim in all this.

And in typical fashion Drysdale was -4 and looking fine for the cut and threw in a triple on 12 to miss the cut by 2.
Marc Warren was the only other Scot to make the cut. Daniel Young went 69-70 to miss out by a shot, he also dropped a few shots today.

Marc Warren was the only other Scot to make the cut. Daniel Young went 69-70 to miss out by a shot, he also dropped a few shots today.

Warren and Syme both T14 at the end of round 3. Excellent 6 under for Warren today. Syme shot 2 under which is a good recovery after dropping 2 shots in first 3 holes.

Russell Knox tied 3rd after round 2 of the PGA event in Hawaii.

Warren and Syme both T14 at the end of round 3. Excellent 6 under for Warren today. Syme shot 2 under which is a good recovery after dropping 2 shots in first 3 holes.

Russell Knox tied 3rd after round 2 of the PGA event in Hawaii.
Unfortunately all 3 fell away in their final rounds. Syme was tied 22nd, still a decent finish and some more points in the bag.

Finally made the jump and went to get fit on Saturday morning.

Had a totally open fitting: trying ping, Taylor made p790, titliest ap2 and t200, callaway apex forged and mizuno jpx 919.

The p790 was a clear winner. First time I’ve ever been fitted for clubs and really enjoyed the forensicness of the experience, tinkering and toying to get the best results.

I’m in a strange position in that I’ve been playing with second hand 56g regular shafted irons for 4 years so wanted to try and get something with the same feel, as I’m used to lagging the club behind and whipping it through. So it was good fun, and produced really nice numbers.

Let’s see if it translates to better scores, as it’s now £850 custom fit set vs £165 second hand eBay set... with me as a common denominator.

1 hour ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Finally made the jump and went to get fit on Saturday morning.

Had a totally open fitting: trying ping, Taylor made p790, titliest ap2 and t200, callaway apex forged and mizuno jpx 919.

The p790 was a clear winner. First time I’ve ever been fitted for clubs and really enjoyed the forensicness of the experience, tinkering and toying to get the best results.

I’m in a strange position in that I’ve been playing with second hand 56g regular shafted irons for 4 years so wanted to try and get something with the same feel, as I’m used to lagging the club behind and whipping it through. So it was good fun, and produced really nice numbers.

Let’s see if it translates to better scores, as it’s now £850 custom fit set vs £165 second hand eBay set... with me as a common denominator.

The greatest thing about the first few rounds with fitted irons is the watching the ball soar into the air knowing you've nailed it. The worst is then watching it fly 20 yards further than your old ones and ending up in a bush behind the green.

The greatest thing about the first few rounds with fitted irons is the watching the ball soar into the air knowing you've nailed it. The worst is then watching it fly 20 yards further than your old ones and ending up in a bush behind the green.

Gapping session on GCQuad will be happening before any live rounds, don’t worry about that.

Excited, but under no illusions it’s going to drastically help.

Just now, DigOutYourSoul said:

Gapping session on GCQuad will be happening before any live rounds, don’t worry about that.

Excited, but under no illusions it’s going to drastically help.

TBH, although there was clearly extra length (williams.gif), the major difference for me after my fitting was the dispersal. Amazing how much more confidence you have knowing a bad one is a bit offline as opposed to another ball!

TBH, although there was clearly extra length (williams.gif), the major difference for me after my fitting was the dispersal. Amazing how much more confidence you have knowing a bad one is a bit offline as opposed to another ball!

That was the deciding factor on fitting too, the ping i500 and p790 were identical distance wise.

The main thing that came from it was the at 88mph, a 56g graphite shaft isn’t suitable for my 7 iron.