Golfers Thread

Gaz

So what big sticks do you carry to get a nice yardage gap and versatility?

My driver usually ends up 200-220m
My 3 wood about 190m off a tee and 180m off the fairway.
I have both 3 and 4 hybrids which usually get 180m and 170m.
I allow 150m for my 5 iron, and 10m less for each club from there.

So I’ve got a decent coverage for any distance, the only thing I miss is something like a 2 iron to help get out from under trees.

I'm around 220-250 with my driver around 200-220 with my 3w 190-200 2/3 hybrid and about 170 with my 3/4 hybrid, depends on how well I'm hitting that day I have hit my 3w 270 and maxed my driver at 290 (last summer) top end of the bag is much more important, get your gapping from 9i to lw sorted

Yes first clubs I will be buying will be a gap and lob wedge.

Really not great at half, 3/4 PW shots, much easier to have a full swing with a higher loft club.  

Pretty happy with Irons, will replace them last. They have nice gaps PW - 5 Iron 100-150m in 10 m gaps. SW goes about 70m

How accurate are 2/3H generally compared to a 2I or driving iron?  

Seems like much more choice of those.

I like my 5W from the fairway, so maybe beef that up to a 4w loft and a couple of hybrids and ditch the 3W? Would that work?

Edited by Merkie84
Extra information?

17 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

Really not great at half, 3/4 PW shots, much easier to have a full swing with a higher loft club.  

Pretty happy with Irons, will replace them last. They have nice gaps PW - 5 Iron 100-150m in 10 m gaps. SW goes about 70m

I like my 5W from the fairway, so maybe beef that up to a 4w loft and a couple of hybrids and ditch the 3W? Would that work?

When I got fit for my 2-iron, I fully intended on getting a hybrid but the fitter told me it didn't suit my game. Hybrids are better for people who struggle to get the ball in the air with the longer clubs especially out of the rough is what he recommended. That's never been something I struggle with so the added control ability of the iron was better in my case.

Your latter suggestion would work best I think.

I run with Driver, 3 wood (15° so not far off a 4 wood). 2 iron (18°), 3 iron etc etc.... 

I think the modern fairway woods, being much more shallow than the old woods, are great from both the fairway and the tee. My 3 wood is my favourite club in the bag for that reason.

A gap is one of my most used clubs now, like you im not a partial swinging has to be full out or a small chip,
Hybrids are very forgiving compared to same lofted irons, a little harder to shape is there main drawback,
I personally use driver 9.5° 3w 15° and hybrid 19° and 22° as direct replacements for my 3i and 4i, hybrids have a shorter shaft and are more controllable than fairway woods as wel as more versatile but will lack distance with same loft, my mate will not drop his 5w for a hybrid, hybrids dont suit his eyes at address feels he leaves the face open as good a hybrids are there not for everyone imo, on a side not I'm selling a brand new titleist sm7 52° brushed gray still in wrapping

48 minutes ago, cas79 said:

A gap is one of my most used clubs now, like you im not a partial swinging has to be full out or a small chip,
Hybrids are very forgiving compared to same lofted irons, a little harder to shape is there main drawback,
I personally use driver 9.5° 3w 15° and hybrid 19° and 22° as direct replacements for my 3i and 4i, hybrids have a shorter shaft and are more controllable than fairway woods as wel as more versatile but will lack distance with same loft, my mate will not drop his 5w for a hybrid, hybrids dont suit his eyes at address feels he leaves the face open as good a hybrids are there not for everyone imo, on a side not I'm selling a brand new titleist sm7 52° brushed gray still in wrapping

Thanks for the advise.

I live in Asia so prob not economic to send the gap wedge here!

A closing 69 sees Connor Syme move to -2 and currently in 10th spot at the Alfred Dunhill Championship at Leopard Creek. David Drysdale and Calum Hill also heading for decent finishes. The next couple of months are a good chance for these guys to rack up sone RtD points, Drysdale's form in the same stages last year virtually kept him his card.

On 24/11/2019 at 19:29, Mark Connolly said:

If Tour golf is all about winning, Pablo Larrazabal hasn't been relevant since about 2015.

He seems to be relevant again. 

Remarkable win today given he had 6 bogeys and a double in his final round. 😃

Connor Syme finished tied 11.

Calum Hill 13th.

Great starts to the season for both.

Remarkable win today given he had 6 bogeys and a double in his final round. [emoji2]
Calum Hill 13th.
41 on the front 9 for Larrazabal and he was all over the place, looked like he was going to chuck his shoes in the water at one point. He hooked one drive so far left it missed the water hazard completely. Some finish with 3 birdies in the last 4 holes to win it by 1.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Remarkable win today given he had 6 bogeys and a double in his final round. 😃

Calum Hill 13th.

Definite shot at rookie of the year for Pablo...

Searching for the Holy Grail didn’t take as long as this! 😂
Since I got my first handicap (19) in January 2015, I’ve worked towards TODAY'S PAR ROUND OF 69! 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎
It’s only taken me around 900 rounds.
I feel over the moon,and in the words of Ally Graham “Ah just cannae believe it”.
3 birdies, 3 bogeys and 12 pars - 44 stableford points in windy conditions with 32 putts.

Caddy - hand me my beer!

IMG_6386.jpg

Edited by expatowner

Searching for the Holy Grail didn’t take as long as this! [emoji23]
Since I got my first handicap (19) in January 2015, I’ve worked towards TODAY'S PAR ROUND OF 69! [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]
It’s only taken me around 900 rounds.
I feel over the moon,and in the words of Ally Graham “Ah just cannae believe it”.
3 birdies, 3 bogeys and 12 pars - 44 stableford points in windy conditions with 32 putts. 

Caddy - hand me my beer!

IMG_6386.jpg.105ad8b22d8200c2092ac49a3390557a.jpg

Magnificent effort. Well done.

Best I’ve ever done is 2 over par.

To shoot par while taking 32 putts on a windy day suggests great ball striking

Magnificent effort. Well done.Best I’ve ever done is 2 over par.
To shoot par while taking 32 putts on a windy day suggests great ball striking

Yes I’m hitting everything so much more dependably since I took some more lessons.
I had 2 iffy drives that weren’t disastrous and say 6 times where I didn’t get on the green in regulation but some of those I chipped and putted.
My irons from 7 to wedge are going really close just now.

Yes I’m hitting everything so much more dependably since I took some more lessons. I had 2 iffy drives that weren’t disastrous and say 6 times where I didn’t get on the green in regulation but some of those I chipped and putted. My irons from 7 to wedge are going really close just now.  

Great stuff.

Almost all of my good scores tend to be with fewer than 30 putts. Driving remains comfortably the most consistent part of my game. Going to get some short game lessons in the New Year. Determined to get back to single figures. Currently 9.9 having generally been between 8 and 9 over the last decade. Occasionally down to 7 with a lowest ever exact of 6.8.