Golfers Thread

Gaz

Bob confirmed as Rookie of the Year. Absolutely brilliant effort.

Meanwhile, Tommy Fleetwood and Jon Rahm are in a shootout for the tournament and the R2D title. Fleetwood finished at -18, Rahm on the 18th tee at -18 . Lorenzo-Vera also in the tournament reckoning at -17 playing with Rahm.

Oh, and Rory shat himself on another of those easy European Tour courses.

Bob confirmed as Rookie of the Year. Absolutely brilliant effort.
Meanwhile, Tommy Fleetwood and Jon Rahm are in a shootout for the tournament and the R2D title. Fleetwood finished at -18, Rahm on the 18th tee at -18 . Lorenzo-Vera also in the tournament reckoning at -17 playing with Rahm.
Oh, and Rory shat himself on another of those easy European Tour courses.
Superb by Bob, that should see him creep up another few places on the OWGR. Hopefully next year he can fit some more rest periods into his schedule, he has played 32 events this year which is pretty hectic compared to some of the other guys. Being in the WGC events will make a huge difference for him with the bigger prizes and ranking points on offer.

Pablo Larazabal making a Helen hunt of himself not understanding how rookie of the year is awarded

IMG_4265.thumb.jpg.651f545c43a47e50be20cdf8e4bd6623.jpg

Can't remember when it changed, but I'm fairly sure it's a recent thing that the Rookie that finishes highest on the rankings wins the award. It used to be decided by a panel, and they probably would have given wins higher marks than consistency.

Can't remember when it changed, but I'm fairly sure it's a recent thing that the Rookie that finishes highest on the rankings wins the award. It used to be decided by a panel, and they probably would have given wins higher marks than consistency. 
Watched some of the Sky preview programme on Wednesday and McGinley said he'd have given it to Kitiyama. On the other hand I think Tommy Fleetwood said that playing consistently well like MacIntyre has done is harder than winning. I'm more inclined to listen to Fleetwood.

On 28/09/2019 at 17:20, Merkie84 said:

Any advice for someone heading out in their first round in about 10 years next week?

I have been to the driving range a few times over the last few weeks and swing slowly coming back.

Heading out for 18 holes next week, but no idea how I will get in.

So played 5 rounds over the last few weeks on a few different courses.

First round was a respectable 104 . Very nervous on the first tee but it soon came back once I got into it and had a lot of fun

Second round was 103

Third was 105.

Plenty to build on as I hit some good shots as well as some absolute duffs and howlers.

Literally scored every number from a disastrous 10 to a fist pump worthy birdie 3 on the way.

Last week I holed an 8 footer on the 18th to hit 99. My first major milestone achieved and really happy. 

Just got back in today from my round. And scored an astounding 84!

I would have been happy dipping under 100 again, and didn’t expect to break 90 for a good while.

So delighted, the golf bug has well and truly bit.  I am going to have a stupid grin on my face for the rest of the week!  

So played 5 rounds over the last few weeks on a few different courses. First round was a respectable 104 . Very nervous on the first tee but it soon came back once I got into it and had a lot of fun

Second round was 103

Third was 105.

Plenty to build on as I hit some good shots as well as some absolute duffs and howlers.

Literally scored every number from a disastrous 10 to a fist pump worthy birdie 3 on the way.

Last week I holed an 8 footer on the 18th to hit 99. My first major milestone achieved and really happy. 

I would have been happy dipping under 100 again, and didn’t expect to break 90 for a good while.

So delighted, the golf bug has well and truly bit.  I am going to have a stupid grin on my face for the rest of the week!  

Really well done. These milestones are memorable. I had a real struggle to break 90 seemingly endlessly finding new ways to screw up from a good position. The day I shot 89 I was playing two rounds and promptly shot 82 that afternoon and shot a 79 the next week. I was a teenager at the time so it’s a long time ago but I still remember it well.

Huge amount of psychology to golf. I had a similar battle to get to single figures and sat between 9.5 and 10.0 for an age. Even when I finally made it I lost a ball on 14th to take a 7 and was convinced I’d screwed up again only to play the final 4 holes in par, birdie, par, birdie to comfortably make it.

My handicap has sneaked up to 9.9 this season so target for next year to get down to single figures again. Time will tell [emoji23]

7 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

First round was a respectable 104 . Very nervous on the first tee but it soon came back once I got into it and had a lot of fun

Second round was 103

Third was 105.

Really well done, that's a very quick double milestone!

I still remember the first time I broke 100, 90 and, this season, 80. It took me way longer than you! Congrats.

I had my first lesson of a planned 5 over the winter on Saturday. Hopefully on the path to have a more consistent season next year.

I shot everything from 78 to 98 last year.

Edited by Mr Hahn

Thanks! 
Really happy!
I told the wife when I got in but she didn’t know what the hell I was talking about, asking “ is that good?”
Next milestone sub 80, didn’t think I would be aiming for that for a long while! Really motivated to put the practice in.
You going in the correct direction, I'm still hovering around the high 80s low 90s I have some great rounds in there but no consistency, hit this wee beauty today for a birdie on the 9th, 107y 20191126_125952.jpg

On 25/11/2019 at 20:47, Merkie84 said:

Second round was 103

Third was 105.

Brilliant. 
Playing a game for the fun of it with fresh air, exercise and coming on in leaps and bounds.  Good on you.
Don't be afraid to go for some good coaching if you get stuck.  

Yes I think I will  get some lessons once I inevitably hit a plateau. Not expecting to knock 15 shots off every time haha!

I actually think once I start hitting my irons a little purer, I might drop some shots initally as my yardages will change. 

Also, I was chipping and putting really well for me this week, not sure I will consistently get up and down like that all the time.  I scored well because bad shots weren’t leading to big numbers, I was able to save it on and around the greens.  What were double or triple bogeys in previous rounds were bogeys this time.

I live in Jakarta so golf is the only chance to get a bit of nice fresh air and a good walk. Not many parks or open spaces here.

Now that the better weather is nearly here and I've started to incorporate the swing changes my coach gave me, I hope I can continue to improve.  Now down to 8.7.  
Pennants games start at the end of January, so I better improve just to keep my place in the team!  😄

current handicap 29 Nov.jpg

Any advice on what clubs to have at the top end of the bag?

i have a sports shop bought set that is a good 10-15 years old and looking over time to upgrade the set. From what I have seen in golf shops and online technology has moved on a lot in that time

I have a 1,3,5 wood and a 3 hybrid. Then 5I-SW But I hit the 3h and 5W pretty similar distances so seems a bit of a waste. The 5w goes higher but stops quicker. I Probably only need one of those 2.

My 3W is too bulky to hit from the fairway, so is tee only for me. It is basically a driver with 20 -30 yards less carry and no more accurate. 

I used to have a “ Driving Iron” which was my safety tee shot club. Kept it nice and low and straight and bounced for days on the links. Courses here are hot and dry so might get the same effect. However no one here seems to sell them here.

So what big sticks do you carry to get a nice yardage gap and versatility?