Golfers Thread

Gaz

Sandy Lyle's 1988 Masters and Seve's win at Royal Lytham the same year inspired me to take up golf, which I would duly chuck in and take up again several times over the following 30 years 😂. It's great watching footage from the 80s opens. I used to skive school/college on the Thursday/Friday to watch the morning coverage. Great days.

Sky piss all over the Beeb for coverage these days and the "Chronicles...." series makes for great viewing. 

On my own hacker's level, I've pretty much got my set sorted out for having another bash at this c**t of a game. It's involved a fair bit of hunting on e-bay and golfbiddder. 

• Driver: King Cobra Biocell+ (£99 from Golfbidder)
  • Fairway: Callaway X 5 wood (£24.95 from ebay)
  • Irons: 3-PW MD Superstrong Forged 2004 model, hardly used (£70 quid from ebay) 
  • Wedges: Ping 48 (£24.94 ebay), Cleveland 51 (£24.95 ebay), Swilken 54 (which I could never bear to get rid of - I've had it since I was about 16)
  • Sun Mountain Bag (£70 ebay)

Just need a decent putter and I'll be sorted. I've been to the driving range a couple of times and it's not been as horrific as I'd expected. Thinned 4 irons are as painful as f**k though 😂

On 02/07/2019 at 08:42, KnightswoodBear said:

Was about to get a few cards in and play in a couple of medals at the club and finally get myself a handicap.

I've now fucked my shoulder and don't look like I'll be playing again for a while.

I went up to the course on Monday evening and hacked my way round 10, then played up 18.  Shoulder held up ok, thankfully, so I can hopefully get back on it.

Playing on your own, into the sun as it;s beginning to go down, results in a lot of "no fucking idea where that went" shots though.  

13 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Sandy Lyle's 1988 Masters and Seve's win at Royal Lytham the same year inspired me to take up golf, which I would duly chuck in and take up again several times over the following 30 years 😂. It's great watching footage from the 80s opens. I used to skive school/college on the Thursday/Friday to watch the morning coverage. Great days.

Sky piss all over the Beeb for coverage these days and the "Chronicles...." series makes for great viewing. 

On my own hacker's level, I've pretty much got my set sorted out for having another bash at this c**t of a game. It's involved a fair bit of hunting on e-bay and golfbiddder. 

• Irons: 3-PW MD Superstrong Forged 2004 model, hardly used (£70 quid from ebay) 
  • Wedges: Ping 48 (£24.94 ebay), Cleveland 51 (£24.95 ebay), Swilken 54 (which I could never bear to get rid of - I've had it since I was about 16)

Just need a decent putter and I'll be sorted. I've been to the driving range a couple of times and it's not been as horrific as I'd expected. Thinned 4 irons are as painful as f**k though 😂

I'd be binning the 4 iron and getting a nice wee 4 hybrid. Made a huge difference to my game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49009917

OK, so you get kids into playing golf (and becoming members of a club to help arrest decline in numbers), by allowing them to wear what they like, and use mobile phones on the course?

I will wager anyone, anywhere, any amount, that if youngsters are allowed to play, and be members, wearing Fat Mike Ashley trakkies & trainers and gabbing to their pals on their mobiles, the amount of new trakky-wearing, Samsung holding kids joining clubs, will be dwarfed by the amount of existing members chucking it.

This is something Neil Doncaster came up with, isn’t it? I do realise that I might come over as an auld fuddery duddery fart here (fair cop), but really? They think this is a good way forward for golf?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49009917
OK, so you get kids into playing golf (and becoming members of a club to help arrest decline in numbers), by allowing them to wear what they like, and use mobile phones on the course?
I will wager anyone, anywhere, any amount, that if youngsters are allowed to play, and be members, wearing Fat Mike Ashley trakkies & trainers and gabbing to their pals on their mobiles, the amount of new trakky-wearing, Samsung holding kids joining clubs, will be dwarfed by the amount of existing members chucking it.
This is something Neil Doncaster came up with, isn’t it? I do realise that I might come over as an auld fuddery duddery fart here (fair cop), but really? They think this is a good way forward for golf?
Can't wait to be playing a tie against some wee neddy c**t taking selfies all the way round tbh. Obvs this is a nonsense idea, which thankfully most clubs will ignore.

22 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Get yourself something like a wee Odyssey 2ball second hand for about forty quid.  Now the highest selling putter of all time.  And ditch the 3 and maybe even 4 irons for a rescue or two.  What loft is your five wood?

9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd be binning the 4 iron and getting a nice wee 4 hybrid. Made a huge difference to my game.

I'll probably sack the 3 iron and get a 2-iron hybrid.

I used to use this same set back when I played regularly. The 4 iron was my go-to off the tee of anything I didn't need to hit driver on. I could reliably get it 210 to 230yds down the fairway. The 3 iron was harder to hit, but I'd use it when I played on links courses. It was a great club for 3/4 punch shots on dry fairways. Even less than well hit it would still run out to an acceptable extent. 

16 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Get yourself something like a wee Odyssey 2ball second hand for about forty quid.  Now the highest selling putter of all time.  And ditch the 3 and maybe even 4 irons for a rescue or two.  What loft is your five wood?

That's exactly what I've been looking for. Again I had one about 10 years ago. They hold their value pretty well. Trying to nab a cheap one off ebay 😂

The 5 wood is a 19 deg job. Weight is towards the rear so it should launch pretty high. I hit my long irons pretty low so it'll be good to have the option of a high ball flight. 

I've got room in the bag as I never carry the full 14. My set should end up something like: Dr | 5w | 2i Hyb | 4-5-6-7-8-9 Irons | 47gw | 51gw | 54sw | Putter

2 minutes ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

There's loads of stories of folk who've fought their way off the bike onto the golf course.   

Genuinely happy to take you on Gleneagles for free once over the summer.   The Queens/Kings are great for players of all levels.  

Still intend to do both tbh. Obvs not at the same time. 

The Kings is a superb course. Great days when the Scottish Open was held there. Was the 14th the driveable Par 4? 

My driver and three wood are Cobra Fly-Z. Cobra have probably released at least two or three new models since the Fly-Z, but I’m not changing it for anything. Best driver I’ve ever owned. Certainly the most forgiving. When my game goes to shit, it tends to be because my brain goes to mush, I try to take the paint off the ball, and swing like a madman at 200mph. (I’m guessing that the phrase ‘ ach, shite, I tried to murder it there’ is familiar to many on here as a mental drive we tried to smash like Bubba Watson ends up careering off to the right at a jaunty angle towards the deep stuff). Anyway.... my old driver was a Taylor Made, and with the Cobra, I get away with murder sometimes after swinging like an utter fanny due to a brain fart. Just love that Cobra Fly-Z.

Here’s where I think it gets interesting. I have owned more expensive sets of irons than my current ones in the past, but never liked them as much as these. I am currently on my third set of Lynx Predator irons. Cheap, unglamorous, available online. They were briefly fashionable once, way back in the day, when Fred Couples played them. Nowadays, they are just cheap irons. If I lost one, or broke one, I’d buy another set of Predators immediately. Love the weight, the feel, the consistency. They give me confidence... which is all that matters. If it works for you, and you alone, it doesn’t matter if they are £1000 forged blades, or cheap Lynx Predators... the Dacia Sandero of golf clubs.

My putter is an Odyssey White Hot, that I won by being part of the winning team at a St Mirren golf day. So, I am happy with my gear....then fcuk it all up by playing Penfold Commando balls.

😀

Edited by pozbaird

It's a great wee hole.  Sadly, it's too easy a golf course now given the quality of player and how far they hit it. 
The front 9 on the Queen is probably the best 9 out the 54 on offer. 
It's a shame it's become obsolete at Tournament level. John Daly nearly drove the 18th in a practice round there once [emoji23]

40 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

My driver and three wood are Cobra Fly-Z. Cobra have probably released at least two or three new models since the Fly-Z, but I’m not changing it for anything. Best driver I’ve ever owned. Certainly the most forgiving. When my game goes to shit, it tends to be because my brain goes to mush, I try to take the paint off the ball, and swing like a madman at 200mph. (I’m guessing that the phrase ‘ ach, shite, I tried to murder it there’ is familiar to many on here as a mental drive we tried to smash like Bubba Watson ends up careering off to the right at a jaunty angle towards the deep stuff). Anyway.... my old driver was a Taylor Made, and with the Cobra, I get away with murder sometimes after swinging like an utter fanny due to a brain fart. Just love that Cobra Fly-Z.

Here’s where I think it gets interesting. I have owned more expensive sets of irons than my current ones in the past, but never liked them as much as these. I am currently on my third set of Lynx Predator irons. Cheap, unglamorous, available online. They were briefly fashionable once, way back in the day, when Fred Couples played them. Nowadays, they are just cheap irons. If I lost one, or broke one, I’d buy another set of Predators immediately. Love the weight, the feel, the consistency. They give me confidence... which is all that matters. If it works for you, and you alone, it doesn’t matter if they are £1000 forged blades, or cheap Lynx Predators... the Dacia Sandero of golf clubs.

My putter is an Odyssey White Hot, that I won by being part of the winning team at a St Mirren golf day. So, I am happy with my gear....then fcuk it all up by playing Penfold Commando balls.

😀

British or American size?

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

British or American size?

Will need to unwrap one from its wee Quality Street-esque sweetie wrapper to check..... remember that? Balls individually wrapped in crunchy sweetie wrapper type stuff with a circular sticker? Just me showing my age!

Edited by pozbaird

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Will need to unwrap one from its wee Quality Street-esque sweetie wrapper to check..... remember that? Balls individually wrapped in crunchy sweetie wrapper type stuff with a circular sticker? Just me showing my age!

When my grandad stopped playing, he very kindly gave all the balls he had in the garage to my dad and my uncle, and was shocked when he was told they weren't legal anymore.

They got passed on to me for taking onto the practice ground and losing as I learned.

52 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Calum Hill wins the Challenge Tour event in Austria and Ewen Ferguson played his way into a tie for 2nd.

A great two weeks after his effort at the Scottish Open last week.

Wee Boab doing very well too at The Open. It would be fantastic from a Scottish perspective if we had a few players coming through/consistent a bit like Ireland and NI have had over the past 10 or so years.

Wee Boab doing very well too at The Open. It would be fantastic from a Scottish perspective if we had a few players coming through/consistent a bit like Ireland and NI have had over the past 10 or so years.

The batch that are coming through now look our most exciting for some time. Hopefully they can feed off each other's success and push one another along.