Golfers Thread

Gaz

There coverage is far superior than the beebs
It is better in respect of things like the stuff they do on the range, but the actual coverage of the play can be awful at times. I want to see more than a handful of players, for example, on Sunday Grant Forrest was inside the top 10 all day, but we hardly saw him hit a shot, same with Kaymer. That's before you even mention the number of live shots that are shown long after they happened.

And then there is the fact that they have thought Monty and McGinley were knowledgeable and insightful pundits.

It is better in respect of things like the stuff they do on the range, but the actual coverage of the play can be awful at times. I want to see more than a handful of players, for example, on Sunday Grant Forrest was inside the top 10 all day, but we hardly saw him hit a shot, same with Kaymer. That's before you even mention the number of live shots that are shown long after they happened. 

And then there is the fact that they have thought Monty and McGinley were knowledgeable and insightful pundits.

Their bias towards English golfers is pathetic. I've lost count of the amount of times they'll cover an English player on the leaderboard while almost completely ignoring a Scottish player on the same score, or when they take a look down the leaderboard and pick out some random names they almost always ignore the Scottish guys. The only exception is Ewan Murray. 

Despite that, they are still light years ahead of BBC.

4 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Played quite well my last two medals, 39 points both times so handicap is now 4.8😬

Never been this low before so heading into Uncharted Territory 😂

Looking forward to the Scottish Open this week aswell! 

Good shooting :thumsup2

I've drifted up to 10 (9.6) so immediate target is to get back to single figures. I'm having a real run of rounds where I miss the buffer by one or two shots which is a little frustrating but in general hitting the ball fairly solidly.

Young McIntyre having a good first day so far at the Scottish Open partnering McIlroy and Ricky Fowler he's -4 through the 7th and doesn't seemed phased with the company he's in.
Jinxed him, that's usually my job to put the hex on Scottish golfers on this thread, he's just had a wee bad run and slipped back to -1, just played a cracker into the 11th to give himself a chance of getting one back.

Jinxed him, that's usually my job to put the hex on Scottish golfers on this thread, he's just had a wee bad run and slipped back to -1, just played a cracker into the 11th to give himself a chance of getting one back.
Finished - 3, ahead of Fowler and just one behind McIlroy. A really low scoring day though with - 8 leading. Richie Ramsay is the leading Scot at - 6.

Rain due tomorrow and if there's some wind behind it the course will obviously toughen up.

Matt Kuchar is doing well and he has certainly suited his game to our links since his first disastrous foray on them at the Nairn 1999 Wa;ker Cup where he lost all three of the games he played in.

Sky interviewed the Renaissance course architect Tom Doak today, and I see that the Scottish Pro Chris Doak was playing, unusual name and maybe far out relatives?

Can't be many tourneys played on a links course where the field has scored this low, with little wind and 4 par 5s then there are plenty of scoring chances. Lead is currently -14, while -6 only has you tied for 39th. Cut looks like being -4. Richie Ramsay and Calum Hill the best placed Scots on -7.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Can't be many tourneys played on a links course where the field has scored this low, with little wind and 4 par 5s then there are plenty of scoring chances. Lead is currently -14, while -6 only has you tied for 39th. Cut looks like being -4. Richie Ramsay and Calum Hill the best placed Scots on -7.

Cut mark has just gone to 6 under. Might go back to 5 under but not many golfers to finish.

Currently exactly 65 players at 6 under or better.

Edit to add the cut did go back to 5 under. 80 players make it through to the weekend.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Cut mark has just gone to 6 under. Might go back to 5 under but not many golfers to finish.

Edit to add the cut did go back to 5 under. 80 players make it through to the weekend.
Calum Hill finished the day 11th, 4 off the lead on -10. Could be a great week for him if he can hang on to even a top 20 place. Would be great if he could bag an Open spot.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:
4 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Calum Hill finished the day 11th, 4 off the lead on -10. Could be a great week for him if he can hang on to even a top 20 place. Would be great if he could bag an Open spot.

Good luck to Calum Hill.

I see Martin Laird is currently top 10 in John Deere Classic on PGA Tour. One Open spot up for grabs there. Laird currently just outside top 125 in FedEx rankings so could do with a high finish.

Good luck to Calum Hill.
I see Martin Laird is currently top 10 in John Deere Classic on PGA Tour. One Open spot up for grabs there. Laird currently just outside top 125 in FedEx rankings so could do with a high finish.
Laird has had a few good rounds this season but not really maintained it over the 4 days. He normally comes over to play the Scottish Open but with his Tour spot under threat he's obviously decided to focus on that.

Hopefully Hill can do well this weekend, he's not going that well on the Challenge Tour for now so a decent finish here could be a career changer. Grant Forrest is another who could secure his card with a half decent finish this weekend.