Golfers Thread

Gaz

Aye, that would make sense considering he's actually older than both Trevino and Nicklaus so would be sat down
Gone for Andy North next to Cabrera, before my time but I know he's tall and google image has a tall grey haired guy that looks enough like him in the photo
Forgot Lucas Glover, that's him in the cream suit! Do you know you far down on google images you have to go to get a picture of him without a hat (or with his psycho wife)?
Think it's Steve Jones next to Rory and Ernie as well
f**k sake, there's only 32 in the photo. Done.
According to Twitter, which is where I got the pic, the 4 missing are Larry Nelson (1983 Oakmont), Fuzzy Zoeller (84 Winged Foot), Ray Floyd (85 Shinnecock) and Corey Pavin (95 Shinnecock). Need to remember some of those names for next year's Dead Pool.

Guest Moomintroll
No sign of DL3?
This is getting worrying now, missed his preview the last time round, 2 Majors in a row is detracting from the expectation of the event.

16 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

No sign of DL3?

12 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
16 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:
No sign of DL3?

This is getting worrying now, missed his preview the last time round, 2 Majors in a row is detracting from the expectation of the event.

Ha! You'll have to forgive me. Working in the golf media/industry, these weeks are always extremely busy with various things going off, and I've managed my time poorly in May and June. I kept meaning to complete my usual P&B topic introduction but just couldn't get round to it without staying up all night, which admittedly would have been decent practice for the next four days. 

However, I pledge to have one back for the Open at Portrush. Until then, enjoy the US Open!

Fantastic 65 by Justin Rose sees him take the first day lead. Lot of players tightly bunched behind him with a lot of big names in among them.

Speith had a bust up with his caddy on the 8th. First of all be hit it too far off the tee and ran over the cliff edge, then hit his dropped ball way over the green. The first one is a definite f**k up by someone, and you have to question the club selection when everybody else was laying up 50 yards back from the cliff edge. You could clearly hear the caddy tell him before the second one though that he thought it might be a club too many, but Speith went ahead and hit it anyway.

Lucas Bjeregaard ran up an 11 on the 18th hole, the highest individual hole score in a major since John Daly hit a 14 on the same hole in 2000.

Fantastic 65 by Justin Rose sees him take the first day lead. Lot of players tightly bunched behind him with a lot of big names in among them.

Speith had a bust up with his caddy on the 8th. First of all be hit it too far off the tee and ran over the cliff edge, then hit his dropped ball way over the green. The first one is a definite f**k up by someone, and you have to question the club selection when everybody else was laying up 50 yards back from the cliff edge. You could clearly hear the caddy tell him before the second one though that he thought it might be a club too many, but Speith went ahead and hit it anyway.

Lucas Bjeregaard ran up an 11 on the 18th hole, the highest individual hole score in a major since John Daly hit a 14 on the same hole in 2000.

Did Bjeregaard go OB twice if the tee or something?

Guest Moomintroll

Is it just me that is disappointed with the relatively low scores, used to take a score of 4 under for the tournament to almost guarantee a win & now players are beating that on the first day. A part of the enjoyment of this Major is watching people who usually make it look easy desperately hacking around to put a round together.

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Is it just me that is disappointed with the relatively low scores, used to take a score of 4 under for the tournament to almost guarantee a win & now players are beating that on the first day. A part of the enjoyment of this Major is watching people who usually make it look easy desperately hacking around to put a round together.

I think the USGA are having to tread a fine line this year.  They've come in for an incredible amount of stick for what they've done to some of America's iconic courses for the US Open, Pebble Beach being one that they've utterly fucked up previously.  I'd expect them to speed up the greens for the weekend though.

Guest Moomintroll
I think the USGA are having to tread a fine line this year.  They've come in for an incredible amount of stick for what they've done to some of America's iconic courses for the US Open, Pebble Beach being one that they've utterly fucked up previously.  I'd expect them to speed up the greens for the weekend though.
Hopefully, you have to love a 3 footer that magically turns into a 5 footer after the 1st putt.

40 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Yeah they're treading very carefully with Pebble as if they get it wrong I think everyone's patience will run out. 

It's such a loved and iconic course over there that messing it up isn't really an option for them. They'll speed it up a bit if they can and be hoping for some wind.

Not disappointed at all tbh, good play should be rewarded with birdies and all too often at the US Open that hasn't been the case. Some of the pin positions coupled with the ludicrously fast greens last year meant that players were hitting shots that were almost perfect but would still end up either off the green or miles from the hole.

They obviously know they went too far and brought in outside help. They also can't control the weather and it has been unseasonably damp and cool for the time of year meaning the greens are softer than normal, which these guys lap up.

Paul McGinley also made the point that he has been playing there for over 30 years since he was a student at San Diego, and it is the best he has ever seen the greens. The greens also used to have a tendency to scuff up, but the players who were out late yesterday said that wasn't happening to the same extent, and it's not so much of an issue now anyway as players can repair any damage on the green.

Edit to add: It's the second shortest course on the rota, only Merion is shorter, where Rose won. They have also made a couple of the holes as hard as they can. The fairway on 6, 8 and 10 runs right to the cliff edge, so nothing to stop something that is just a bit off line.

Did Bjeregaard go OB twice if the tee or something?
Nobody seems quite sure tbh, report I saw was that he was in the sea twice from the tee, then was OB at one point too.
He hit his first 2 in the water, then carved one so far right it went OB, which takes a bit of doing on 18. He the switched to a 3 wood to play his 7th off the tee, then chucked his driver into the Pacific.

https://www.australiangolfdigest.com.au/us-open-2019-lucas-bjerregaard-sends-two-balls-one-driver-into-the-water-at-the-18th-makes-an-11/