Golfers Thread

Gaz

It was about this time last year that Knox found his form. Hopefully history repeats.
If it doesn't he could find McIntyre overtakes him to be top Scot in the world golf rankings soon, McIntyre is now up to 123rd after ending last year as 247th, Knox is currently 71st from 68th at the turn of the year.

Alastair Forsyth did this at the Bishopbriggs Pro Am on Sunday, brilliant scoring in damp and breezy conditions. Both par 5s were playing downwind, but even at that he reduced the 530 yard 15th to a 4 iron, a 6 iron and an 8ft putt.20190527_161600.thumb.jpg.b1184c9aae492f81384c0f5d64106c0e.jpg

Edit to add: I'd have won 1 hole from him, I got a 2 on the second!

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
It was about this time last year that Knox found his form. Hopefully history repeats.

If it doesn't he could find McIntyre overtakes him to be top Scot in the world golf rankings soon, McIntyre is now up to 123rd after ending last year as 247th, Knox is currently 71st from 68th at the turn of the year.

I'd imagine Knox will be keen to keep his place as top Scot. He'd also be the first to congratulate MacIntyre on his great run of form.

Knox has decent form at Pebble Beach where US Open is next month. Also tied 12th in US Open in 2018. Hopefully he can do well at Pebble.

Had our club champs qualifiers this weekend, shot 73-78 to hopefully qualify for the scratch championships!
I know I won't qualify for our scratch tourney, but a nett 69 yesterday and a 73 today leaves me on level par and a chance to qualify for the handicap tourney. It's your best 2 scores from 3 but I can't make round 3 next Saturday, so just need to wait and see if I can squeeze into the top 16 nett.

Had our club champs qualifiers this weekend, shot 73-78 to hopefully qualify for the scratch championships!

Good effort.

Couple of years ago I was 16th of 16 qualifiers for our scratch championship. Played the number one of qualifier who ultimately won the whole thing and was delighted to take the match to the 14th [emoji23]

The 2nd typified that it was a big ask. He drove into a bush took a penalty drop put his 3rd through the green and chipped in for a par 4. I played 2 lovely shots to the green and 3 putted for a bogey 5 [emoji45]

3 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good effort.

Couple of years ago I was 16th of 16 qualifiers for our scratch championship. Played the number one of qualifier who ultimately won the whole thing and was delighted to take the match to the 14th emoji23.png

The 2nd typified that it was a big ask. He drove into a bush took a penalty drop put his 3rd through the green and chipped in for a par 4. I played 2 lovely shots to the green and 3 putted for a bogey 5 emoji45.png

Cheers, played a 3 handicapper tonight and lost 4&3. Was just playing a different game to me at times. 

Found out that because I had the lowest combined Nett Score in qualifying I get a medal and £100 Voucher, lovely bonus :thumsup2

On 6/4/2019 at 06:06, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good effort.

Couple of years ago I was 16th of 16 qualifiers for our scratch championship. Played the number one of qualifier who ultimately won the whole thing and was delighted to take the match to the 14th emoji23.png

The 2nd typified that it was a big ask. He drove into a bush took a penalty drop put his 3rd through the green and chipped in for a par 4. I played 2 lovely shots to the green and 3 putted for a bogey 5 emoji45.png

That's cheered me up no end! :thumsup2  It doesn't just happen to me then.
Honestly my putting is honking and really holds me back.  

On 6/2/2019 at 22:35, peasy23 said:

Russell Knox finishes 27th at the Memorial, he was inside the top 20 but dropped a couple of shots on his back 9.

He was the year below me at school. I spent a fair chunk of my weekend hacking around Carrick Knowe. I think we all know who had the better time :lol:

I'd imagine Knox will be keen to keep his place as top Scot. He'd also be the first to congratulate MacIntyre on his great run of form.
Knox has decent form at Pebble Beach where US Open is next month. Also tied 12th in US Open in 2018. Hopefully he can do well at Pebble.

Unfortunately Knox hasn’t made the field for US Open. I thought his tied 12th in last years US Open would get him in but on checking only top 10 and ties were exempt. Also top 60 on OWGR get in but Knox currently 70th. He played sectional qualifier in Ohio but missed out by 2 shots. Pity given he often does well in tour events at Pebble. Needs to get higher up the OWGR to make sure he gets into majors having missed out on Masters as well this year. His number place in the Open at Royal Portrush is already confirmed by way of being in top 30 in Race to Dubai rankings last year.

Unfortunately Knox hasn’t made the field for US Open. I thought his tied 12th in last years US Open would get him in but on checking only top 10 and ties were exempt. Also top 60 on OWGR get in but Knox currently 70th. He played sectional qualifier in Ohio but missed out by 2 shots. Pity given he often does well in tour events at Pebble. Needs to get higher up the OWGR to make sure he gets into majors having missed out on Masters as well this year. His number place in the Open at Royal Portrush is already confirmed by way of being in top 30 in Race to Dubai rankings last year.
Was looking at this earlier and it doesn't seem a though any Scottish golfers are in the field which is a bit disappointing. Just goes to show that while we seem to have a few decent prospects breaking through at the moment we are still a bit away from making much of a mark at the top level.

On Knox, he's had a steady enough year so far but he really needs to start making some top 10 finishes in order to push up the rankings.

I know a lot of pundits don't fancy it, but I quite enjoyed watching the Golf Sixes today. Scotland's pair of Steven Gallacher and David Law started with wins over India and Portugal, before losing to England. They qualified for the ko stages as runners up behind England and face Thailand in the quarter finals tomorrow.

There are a few gimmicks, including the 6th hole having a tee custom built so that you have to play over the hotel pool. There were also 2 women's teams in the 16, and the German ladies were beaten by Australia in a nearest the pin playoff to progress to the ko rounds.