Golfers Thread

Gaz

He was at the Masters was he not? I thought it was just Livingstone who retired at the Ryder Cup?
Aye it was Livingstone, just had a quick Google and found an article that Harmon won't travel as much now do has effectively called time on his Sky career.

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/tour-news/butch-harmon-retires-from-sky-sports-golf-175525

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
He retired at the Ryder Cup.

He was at the Masters was he not? I thought it was just Livingstone who retired at the Ryder Cup?

Yep Harmon was at the Masters. 

I really like his punditry. Hopefully he'll be back for US Open

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Aye it was Livingstone, just had a quick Google and found an article that Harmon won't travel as much now do has effectively called time on his Sky career.

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/tour-news/butch-harmon-retires-from-sky-sports-golf-175525

Hopefully he'll manage a trip from Vegas to Pebble Beach for US Open. Gives a great insight to proceedings.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/claude-harmon-iii-embraces-new-challenge-as-he-adds-some-of-the-pga-tours-biggest-names-to-his-client-list

This story suggests the Masters was his last appearance on Sky. Disappointing but he is 75 so you can understand it.

It does look as though that means McGinley will be given more prominence now though....

That's a few players in recent memory with a clutch of majors over a 2/3 year period.  McIlroy, Spieth and now big BK.  Is that a common thing?  Can't mind it happening very often in the last 20 years or so, so maybe not.

That's a few players in recent memory with a clutch of majors over a 2/3 year period.  McIlroy, Spieth and now big BK.  Is that a common thing?  Can't mind it happening very often in the last 20 years or so, so maybe not.
And they have all been hailed as Tiger's successor but have then fallen away. In Rory's case it's now 5 years since his last major win, and although 7 top ten finishes would suggest he hasn't been that far away, the reality is he has rarely been in contention on the Sunday.

The stat that amazes me most about Koepka is that since the 2016 USPGA he is over 20 shots better to par than the next best player, Rickie Fowler.

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

The stat that amazes me most about Koepka is that since the 2016 USPGA he is over 20 shots better to par than the next best player, Rickie Fowler.

That's wild.  He seems very much the Stan Wawrinka of golf.  Turns it on in the majors.

Hit a nett 74 in Saturday's medal, should easily have been 6 or 7 shots better as I missed a few putts and hit a couple of duffers. It's the first card I've put in since I got my handicap that I haven't gone up 0.1, so happy with that.

One problem I have at the moment is that due to getting new irons and a handful of lessons I'm hitting the ball further, so I'm still trying to figure out the distances as I haven't played much yet. Overshot a couple of greens, for example last year I was hitting a 7 iron about 145-150 yards. At the par 3 14th at Bishopbriggs on Saturday, the back of the green was about 170 yards, the 7 iron I hit bounced once on the green and disappeared over the back.

Got our annual pro-am next Sunday, playing with the teaching pro from Peterculter Golf Club Patrick McKenna.

Back to back runners up finishes from Bob MacIntyre mean he's surely sorted for next season already. Another decent showing from Richie Ramsay also.
Had a putt just slide past on the last to force a playoff, but he jumps up to 13th in the Race to Dubai standings, and with over 700k banked already he is way beyond last year's earnings required for securing his card.

Had a putt just slide past on the last to force a playoff, but he jumps up to 13th in the Race to Dubai standings, and with over 700k banked already he is way beyond last year's earnings required for securing his card.
Yeah checked after I posted and noticed he was up to 13th. He's probably got a very good chance of making the final Race to Dubai events.