Golfers Thread

Gaz

3 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

What a round from Beamer to make the cut in his only event of the season.

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Seems such a likeable guy

Beem birdies 5 of last 6 holes.

Currently just outside cut line but I reckon he'll make it. Hope he does. Great guy.

John Daly has asked the R&A if he can use a buggy to play in the Open at Portrush. Not even sure that it would be logistically possible on a links course, especially with a lot of elevated tees. Got a feeling he will claim he is being discriminated against on disability grounds if they knock him back.

14 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

John Daly has asked the R&A if he can use a buggy to play in the Open at Portrush. Not even sure that it would be logistically possible on a links course, especially with a lot of elevated tees. Got a feeling he will claim he is being discriminated against on disability grounds if they knock him back.

They should piss him off by accepting his case  but then once he arrives get their insurance company to rule it  out on health and safety grounds. 

He's not playing the same sport that I'll be attempting in the monthly medal tomorrow morning. Mind boggling stuff.
It's looking like this could be a procession over the weekend. Might not be the greatest of spectacles but you can only admire his play.

As far as Daly goes, a precedent has been set now I suppose so unless they can rule it out on health and safety grounds they'll need to let him play.

3 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Beem birdies 5 of last 6 holes.

Currently just outside cut line but I reckon he'll make it. Hope he does. Great guy.

Beem now at tied 68th so will make the cut unless something very bizarre happens. :thumsup2

Disappointingly Knox will miss the cut by one shot,. In good company mind you with Rahm, Woods, Garcia, Watson, Furyk, Reed and Poulter all missing the cut too.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

For those more au fait with golf than myself, is Koepka likely to collapse at any point today / tomorrow or is this a done deal really now?
Given his record at majors in the last few years then it's highly unlikely that the wheels will come off for him. I've got a fiver on him at 10s with Bet365, the cash out value at the moment is roughly 7/1, pretty much unheard of for a major at halfway.

Given his record at majors in the last few years then it's highly unlikely that the wheels will come off for him. I've got a fiver on him at 10s with Bet365, the cash out value at the moment is roughly 7/1, pretty much unheard of for a major at halfway.

Cheers. Bookies seem to think it’s all but done then. Bit pish as was planning to spend the evening watching it tomorrow but nice one on the bet!

20 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It's looking like this could be a procession over the weekend. Might not be the greatest of spectacles but you can only admire his play.

As far as Daly goes, a precedent has been set now I suppose so unless they can rule it out on health and safety grounds they'll need to let him play.

Iain Carter made the point on the Cut podcast that someone like Tiger could potentially argue that with his fused back, he should be entitled to use a buggy as well. It's certainly an interesting discussion, even if Tiger effectively wrote it off with his "I walked round with a broken leg" answer the other day.

This season I have been playing in a "Pennants" competition, representing my club Chamberlain Park, eight players from each club play each week.  There are 7 divisions and we were competing in the fourth (called Captains), which is a "no-handicap - play off-the-stick" type arrangement.  We've done really well and are top after all the round-robin games.  I've been picked in all the rounds to play at No 8 and have been lucky to win 5, half 1 and lose 1.  

Play-offs:

Second placed Windross beat third placed Pakuranga to play us in this Sundays final to see who gets promoted.

My knees are knocking already at the thought of the first tee on Sunday.  

Wish us luck!

5cdb84105f586_FinalCaptainstablejpg.jpg.5bb442fc9a07f19232ceb630de7064ee.jpg

IMG_1558237766.108593.thumb.jpg.abe029f5b86779fb36de6c7369f92715.jpg

We won the play-off 4.5 to 3.5 to get promoted!

I halved my match after having been 1 up for most of the way round. In truth me and my opponent didn’t play great golf but had a ding-dong slug fest over the last 4 holes.

Been really struggling with my game recently to the point I was ready to chuck it completely but as yesterday was a major qualifier decided to make the effort to play. Birdied the first two and - despite scrambling around a bit - was one under after 10, not sure i recall ever being under par at any point in the back 9 before.

Unfortunately the luck ran out as the putts stopped falling and I ran into a few really unlucky bounces - couldn't buy a par after that. 5 straight bogeys, a double (penalty drop) and a further bogey before a par at the last to scrape buffer.

On another day I'd be raging but I was absolutely delighted to have strung a few good shots together for the first time in ages. Onwards and upwards from here hopefully...

Been really struggling with my game recently to the point I was ready to chuck it completely but as yesterday was a major qualifier decided to make the effort to play. Birdied the first two and - despite scrambling around a bit - was one under after 10, not sure i recall ever being under par at any point in the back 9 before.

Unfortunately the luck ran out as the putts stopped falling and I ran into a few really unlucky bounces - couldn't buy a par after that. 5 straight bogeys, a double (penalty drop) and a further bogey before a par at the last to scrape buffer.

On another day I'd be raging but I was absolutely delighted to have strung a few good shots together for the first time in ages. Onwards and upwards from here hopefully...

Well done, sounds like you have turned a corner. Keep it up.

I’ve sorted my issues I was having with the shanks. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a shank being close to being a good shot and I thought about that while figuring out what I was doing wrong.

Hands a little too close to the body in setup was meaning I was getting stuck a little. So starting the hands an inch further away has made all the difference.

Shot a level par scratch round on Monday night practicing with a mate and the confidence is back.

Couple of weeks without playing a medal has halted handicap progress but feel the games getting there again.