Golfers Thread

Gaz

Grant Forrest finished comfortably inside the top 10 and David Law made a bit of a return to form with a top 20 at the Trophee Hassan.

More good form from the rookies.

Good to see, least said about Stevie Gallacher's weekend the better.

Connor Syme won on the challenge tour.

On 4/28/2019 at 08:10, Distant Doonhamer said:

Back down to 9 :P

80-10 for a net 70 today in medal

CSS looking like 72 so should be down to 9.1.

Out in 38 which included a birdie 2 so some cash for that. Back in 42 despite double bogies on 10 and 11.

Total of 30 putts with only one 3 putt.

Well done on getting your handicap down.
Do the handicaps in UK get adjusted and published after every round?
Here in NZ, ours get calculated (I think) by counting the best 10 rounds out of the past 20 rounds then giving 80% as the published handicap, this handicap holds for 2 weeks.  

handicap 3dn.png

14 hours ago, expatowner said:

Well done on getting your handicap down.
Do the handicaps in UK get adjusted and published after every round?
Here in NZ, ours get calculated (I think) by counting the best 10 rounds out of the past 20 rounds then giving 80% as the published handicap, this handicap holds for 2 weeks.  

handicap 3dn.png

Yes handicap adjusted after each counting round. It stays the same if you match handicap or above it but in the "buffer zone". If score above buffer zone then handicap goes up by 0.1.

Reductions depend on what handicap group you are in. Playing of 10 (9.5) on Saturday I beat the Competition Scratch Score by 2 shots with a net 70 when the CSS was 72. I was thus reduced by 2x0.2 = 0.4 so hence now off 9.1

8 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

And then next year...

That looks very close to the system already in place down here in NZ:  course ratings, slope ratings and an average of the best rounds out of the last 20 rounds.  
It seems to work well.

How will the current buffer system work in this new setup. I like knowing that with 4 to play I need to par in for buffer, or make a birdie on 18 for buffer - it keeps you interested if you're having a poor round. 

Also, how do slope rated handicaps work. The course I play is ranked 132, and I play off 11 - does this mean if I was to go to a course rated 113, for example, I would get less shots?

5 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

How will the current buffer system work in this new setup. I like knowing that with 4 to play I need to par in for buffer, or make a birdie on 18 for buffer - it keeps you interested if you're having a poor round. 

Also, how do slope rated handicaps work. The course I play is ranked 132, and I play off 11 - does this mean if I was to go to a course rated 113, for example, I would get less shots?

As I understand it, there will be no buffer. It takes your average from the best 8 rounds from your last 20.

In terms of your slope question, yes. The higher the slope, the more shots you get. The real complication with the new system is that you might get more shots off the back tees on your own course than you do off the yellows.

Latest estimates say we (CONGU governed areas) won't be getting it until Nov 2020 though, so I'd imagine there will be loads of info coming out through the clubs at some point late this year/early 2020.

11 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

As I understand it, there will be no buffer. It takes your average from the best 8 rounds from your last 20.

In terms of your slope question, yes. The higher the slope, the more shots you get. The real complication with the new system is that you might get more shots off the back tees on your own course than you do off the yellows.

Latest estimates say we (CONGU governed areas) won't be getting it until Nov 2020 though, so I'd imagine there will be loads of info coming out through the clubs at some point late this year/early 2020.

For handicap purposes, we already do. SS Yellow = 71 (par), SS White = 72. But it sounds like this would also apply in competitions in the new system.

I've always said I could easily play off mid single figures at a lot of courses I've played, and guess the slope rating system takes that into consideration. 

Also took the time last night to work out my handicap based on the best 8 of my last 20 rounds and it came out at 0.1 lower than I am at the moment, after a +0.1 at the weekend it doesn't look like it'll impact me hugely. 

4 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

For handicap purposes, we already do. SS Yellow = 71 (par), SS White = 72. But it sounds like this would also apply in competitions in the new system.

I've always said I could easily play off mid single figures at a lot of courses I've played, and guess the slope rating system takes that into consideration. 

Also took the time last night to work out my handicap based on the best 8 of my last 20 rounds and it came out at 0.1 lower than I am at the moment, after a +0.1 at the weekend it doesn't look like it'll impact me hugely. 

Yes i reckon mine would be pretty much the same as it is now. 

I had an awful spell last this time last year when it would certainly have gone up though :lol:

As you said above i quite like the buffer system too as after a poor front 9 the buffer can still be a realistic target for that specific round.  

Anyway it will be interesting to see what develops albeit looks like next season will be on the current handicap system.

On 27/04/2019 at 21:10, Distant Doonhamer said:

Back down to 9 :P

80-10 for a net 70 today in medal

CSS looking like 72 so should be down to 9.1.

Out in 38 which included a birdie 2 so some cash for that. Back in 42 despite double bogies on 10 and 11.

Total of 30 putts with only one 3 putt.

Another decent round today. Net 72 and CSS looking like 73 so hopefully down to 8.9.

Also chipped in for another birdie 2 and was 2nd place in my division so some more cash to come. :thumsup2

Great to be playing some decent golf after the shite of last season. Long may it last.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Another decent round today. Net 72 and CSS looking like 73 so hopefully down to 8.9.
Alos chipped in for another birdie 2 and 2nd place in my division so some more cash to come. :thumsup2
Great to be playing some decent golf after the shite of last season. Long may it last.

30mph cross winds yesterday, should have been smart and never entered the sweep as it was basically unplayable. Walked off after 6 and wasted £2 and a 0.1.

Back down this morning in better conditions to try and get it back.

First tee shot flaw 292 yards right down the middle made par on the first, par 5, double boggy on the par 3 2nd second and all down hill from there, pared 9-14 and a birdie on the 16th par 5 but damage was done net 73, i need some serious work on my putting was my strongest part of my game but this year I'm missing easy 3-9 footers,

Very much struggling with the dreaded shanks with my wedges just now.

1st - 82 yards in, straight right OB - Double Bogey.

10th - 102 yards in, straight right OB - triple bogey.

15th 113 yards in, straight right thick rough double bogey.

Have to go to the range and figure it out as it’s horrible, every time I’m standing over the ball im expecting it.

Ended up 15 over and basically 6 of those shots were given away by 3 wedges inside 125 yards.

56 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Very much struggling with the dreaded shanks with my wedges just now.

1st - 82 yards in, straight right OB - Double Bogey.

10th - 102 yards in, straight right OB - triple bogey.

15th 113 yards in, straight right thick rough double bogey.

Have to go to the range and figure it out as it’s horrible, every time I’m standing over the ball im expecting it.

Ended up 15 over and basically 6 of those shots were given away by 3 wedges inside 125 yards.

They say a shank is very close to a good shot, as you are actually very close to the sweet spot.  Best way is just to forget about it, best players in the world have them, and don't think about it.

8 years ago today since Seve died.

British Masters at Hillside this week should be a good tourney, then the second major of the year is the following week with the USPGA at the Bethpage Black course, which is always a tough set up. One of my mates played it a couple of years ago, he plays off 5 and struggled to break 90. 220px-Seve_Ballesteros.jpgbethpagesign.jpg