Golfers Thread

Gaz

12 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Have been down to 10.1, around this time last year, but had a very poor stop start year last year. So it’s not quite out of reach, just need a couple of good rounds and maybe a new 50deg wedge as my current cap from PW to SW isn’t great.

I had a real mental barrier about getting to single figures and got to 9.5 on more than one occasion before drifting up again. When I did finally make it did so in style with a 75 -10 for a net 65!

I had a bit of a wobble with a double bogey on 14th but finished par, birdie, bogey, birdie to get it done. 

Good luck with it and let us all know once it happens :thumsup2

Edit to add I can recommend the Callaway Mack Daddy 50 degree wedge. Great club.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Russell Knox was 2 over after 9 holes in round 1 the Valspar Tournament on PGA tour today,
He then covered the back 9 in 6 under (29 shots) including an albatross 2 on the par 5 11th where he holed a 3 wood from 275 yards :thumsup2
Double eagle m9...

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:
Russell Knox was 2 over after 9 holes in round 1 the Valspar Tournament on PGA tour today,
He then covered the back 9 in 6 under (29 shots) including an albatross 2 on the par 5 11th where he holed a 3 wood from 275 yards :thumsup2

Double eagle m9...

I know. Can`t bring myself to use the term :lol:

On 21/03/2019 at 20:04, Distant Doonhamer said:

My turn to jinx a Scottish golfer this week.

Knox has bogied 7 of 12 holes played in round 2 and is currently on the wrong side of the cut line. 

Edit to add Knox made the cut after a round that included 8 bogeys, 3 birdies and 7 pars.  All credit to him for hanging in there as he twice fell below the cut line on the back 9.

Only 2 Scots made the trip to Malaysia for the Maybank Open. Stephen Gallacher missed the cut by 1 shot to continue a dismal start to the season, he has only banked €5k from the 6 tourneys he has played. David Law made the weekend but only 2 players finished the weekend below him as he won just under €4k to take his winnings so far to €176k.

Paul Casey wins the Valspar Open by 1 shot from Kokrak and Ousthuizen, defending the title he won last year. It's the first time since 2010 that 3 PGA tourneys in a row have been won by Europeans. Casey was partnered by Dustin Johnson who went backwards, having gone 14 consecutive sub 70 rounds he would have fancied his chances, but he had a 3 bogey, no birdie round to finish.

Meanwhile David drysdsle has been living it up in the Caribbean.
Quite right after his start to the season.
Paul Casey wins the Valspar Open by 1 shot from Kokrak and Ousthuizen, defending the title he won last year. It's the first time since 2010 that 3 PGA tourneys in a row have been won by Europeans. Casey was partnered by Dustin Johnson who went backwards, having gone 14 consecutive sub 70 rounds he would have fancied his chances, but he had a 3 bogey, no birdie round to finish.
The Europeans are on a real roll just now.

Russell Knox finished an up and down week inside the top 30.

52 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Russell Knox finished an up and down week inside the top 30.

Yep Knox finished T24. Another decent week but really hurt by a poor 2nd round. Two rounds of 67 on that course is good shooting though.

Looks like he`ll miss out on the Masters unless he has a really big week in the upcoming match play event. Needs to get into top 50 of OWGR and before this week was 62nd.

He`s already secured his place in the Open and at current rate of progress is very likely to make top 60 in OWGR which will secure US Open spot.

Yep Knox finished T24. Another decent week but really hurt by a poor 2nd round. Two rounds of 67 on that course is good shooting though.

Looks like he`ll miss out on the Masters unless he has a really big week in the upcoming match play event. Needs to get into top 50 of OWGR and before this week was 62nd.

He`s already secured his place in the Open and at current rate of progress is very likely to make top 60 in OWGR which will secure US Open spot.

He's still 62nd at the moment on the rankings, next best Scot is Drysdale at 196th.

Only 2 Scots made the trip to Malaysia for the Maybank Open. Stephen Gallacher missed the cut by 1 shot to continue a dismal start to the season, he has only banked €5k from the 6 tourneys he has played. David Law made the weekend but only 2 players finished the weekend below him as he won just under €4k to take his winnings so far to €176k.

Don't know if Stevie read this or not, but he is just about to tee off on the 18th at the Hero Indian Open as the leader by 1 shot, this despite having an 8 on his card earlier.

Edit: while he was waiting to tee off the guy in 2nd birdied 17.

And it looks like it's going to be a win for Stevie as he hits a glorious iron on to the par 5 to give himself an eagle putt, while Kawamura coming down 18 behind him has put his drive in the lateral hazard so will be dropping way back.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1554881390.302540.jpgIMG_1554881424.427577.jpg

Here I am picking out my recent hole-in-one (second).
121m slightly uphill, slight breeze against at the Maungakeikei Golf Club. I hit a three-quarter seven iron, landed 6 feet away and rolled in. Saw it all the way. [emoji41]

Cheers everybody. [emoji3]