Golfers Thread

Gaz

I've really had enough of playing shite.  I have gone up from 12 to 15 this year and have always tried to laugh off my pish scores (have carded over 100 three times this year) and tried to enjoy the game despite the state of my scorecard.  However, I now concede that my terrible play is affecting my enjoyment, even to the point that I shamefully don't even pay to enter the medal sweeps now, as it's a waste of money.
Decided that I either need to put the work in or STFU.  So, I'm going to get a lesson every four weeks and hit the range once per week, and practice ONLY what I'm told by the pro.  No more sticky-plaster approaches to this game, time to learn a swing that will stand me a chance of getting it round without the usual fat, steep, slice/pull bullshit.  I'll give it a year.
^ ^ ^ Seething (but proactive)
I started the year at 23.0, entered 3 competitions and finished at 23.3, with 2 NRs, and struggling to break 100 even in bounce games. Was up playing a round myself in August and played so badly I almost walked off. Decided to get serious and just at that time the club put a notice on their Facebook page with a link up with a new pro. Booked a set of 6 lessons and after just the first 2 he has me striking the ball better than I've ever done, just by changing my stance and posture and getting me to turn my hips a lot more. Played a bounce game last week and hit 92, which included a 10 at the monster par 5 15th. I'm sure I will get the scores down if I keep practicing what he has shown me, and after a short game lesson on Monday there then hopefully that will help shave a shot or two as well.

14 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Just about to set off for the Dunhill at Carnoustie. Was there yesterday and the wind was brutal at times. Course looks great tho. Tommy Fleetwood and Brooks Koepka are in town today so will hopefully see quite a bit of them

Any good? Just watched the highlights there and Fleetwood scored well in favourable conditions. 

I've been to a good few Dunhills over the years. The play is very slow but on the other hand it's free Thursday to Saturday and the crowds are quiet.

So we had 9 Scottish golfers in the Dunhill and only one of them (Stephen Gallacher) has made the cut. Piss poor.
Only Knox and Gallacher look to be fairly certain of keeping their cards, Scott Jamieson and David Drysdale currently hanging on by their fingernails.

Looks like 3 Scots on the Challenge Tour will be stepping up, with Liam Johnston, David Law and Grant Forrest in the top 15.

14 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

So we had 9 Scottish golfers in the Dunhill and only one of them (Stephen Gallacher) has made the cut. Piss poor.

Over the years the Dunhill has been the saviour for a few struggling Scottish players with regards to retaining their tour cards but not this year sadly.

Looks bloody cold on the Old Course today. Hatton has just rolled in 4 birdies in a row to now lead by 4 as he goes for his 3rd straight win in this tourney. Gallacher going well too.

Bit bizarre watching a European Tour competition played with a shotgun start.

I've been playing as if I was a hippo with sticks tied to my arms lately. 
However I had entered a competition about 3 months ago and so felt committed to play.
I ended up having 3 decent rounds of 85 - 73, 84 - 72 and 83 - 71 exactly on my handicap and I finished 4th out of a field of around 70.  (photo shows me in 3rd before a late card).
We played 27 holes on both Saturday and Sunday, so it was quite an endurance event given the hot conditions.
Winnings were power tools - drill and cutter.  

Waipu 4th.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

Another bleak weekend on the European Tour for Scottish golfers but Grant Forrest has all but secured his card for next season with a 2nd place in the latest Challenge Tour event.

Him, Liam Johnston and David Law all look very good bets to gain their card although Law has a little bit of work to do to be sure of his place.

Another bleak weekend on the European Tour for Scottish golfers but Grant Forrest has all but secured his card for next season with a 2nd place in the latest Challenge Tour event.
Him, Liam Johnston and David Law all look very good bets to gain their card although Law has a little bit of work to do to be sure of his place.

Bunkered are reporting that Johnston and Forrest are guaranteed to get their cards. Law has a 25k point buffer between him and 16th spot at the moment.

On 10/9/2018 at 04:12, expatowner said:

I've been playing as if I was a hippo with sticks tied to my arms lately. 
However I had entered a competition about 3 months ago and so felt committed to play.
I ended up having 3 decent rounds of 85 - 73, 84 - 72 and 83 - 71 exactly on my handicap and I finished 4th out of a field of around 70.  (photo shows me in 3rd before a late card).
We played 27 holes on both Saturday and Sunday, so it was quite an endurance event given the hot conditions.
Winnings were power tools - drill and cutter.  

Waipu 4th.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

Noel Chandler is a fuckin bandit.

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:
4 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Bunkered are reporting that Johnston and Forrest are guaranteed to get their cards. Law has a 25k point buffer between him and 16th spot at the moment.

Didn't realise there are only two qualifying events left. On that basis it would probably take an extremely unlikely series of events to stop Law making the top 15 as well. 

Didn't realise there are only two qualifying events left. On that basis it would probably take an extremely unlikely series of events to stop Law making the top 15 as well. 
The next tourney has the biggest purse of the season so plenty of points still on offer.

Massive weekend on the European Tour for a lot of players, last chance to get into the top 116 and keep their card for next year. As well as the handful of Scots who are toiling, there are others like Wiesberger and Fernandez Castano who have been around for a few years who are struggling.

Massive weekend on the European Tour for a lot of players, last chance to get into the top 116 and keep their card for next year. As well as the handful of Scots who are toiling, there are others like Wiesberger and Fernandez Castano who have been around for a few years who are struggling.

Watched a but this morning. Weather looks shite so could be a 54 hole tournament. Marc Warren in big trouble. I think Wiesberger is on an exemption