Golfers Thread

Gaz

Liam Johnston won the Challenge Tour event in Kazakhstan today and at 4th in the Tour standings he has now pretty much wrapped up his tour card for next season. David Law and Grant Forrest are still hanging on to places in the top 15 with only a few events left.
Law and Forrest both had top 10 finishes in France today.

I’m not saying he’s definitely back, but Eldrick Tiger Woods is fucking back!!!!

Agree. Some of the golf he is playing is unbelievable. Amazing he can still even compete at that level. Some people might not agree but the excitement around golf goes through the roof when he is playing like this.

Fantastic viewing tonight. I was one of many who were convinced Tiger was done. Absolute scenes on 18 when he won. Brilliant for Rose to win the Fed-Ex and well deserved. Rory, as is becomomg a theme, hit reverse gear big time tonight.  Really poor course strategy again from him.  Trying to hit it miles past Tiger is all very well if you pull it off but heading for the trees time and again just takes the heat off Tiger. The way to put pressure on Tiger is to hit fairways. He doesn`t care if you out drive him.

As an aside good to see Sergio having a decent finish today on European tour and a good number of the USA team playing poorly this week.

Really looking forward to the Ryder Cup,

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Heard on the radio this morning a plan from the NGA to insist that all Golf Clubs have creche facilities!!!!!!!

They also want the game to be more "athletic" and are encouraging "speed golf". The record for a round (golf-wise, nothing to do with drink) stands at 65 shots in 44 minutes. E'gads! That is par for me on the first at Buchanan Castle. And the second. And the third.............

Posted on the get fit thread about weight loss goals and how i started taking golf serious. I used to play every other week and was about an 18 handicap never getting much better or worse (due to lack of practice). 

I was a massive 21 and a half stone. Started playing twice a week as well as some other things to start getting fitter snd healthier. At first things were going great as i was getting fitter, struggling less round the course and gaining more confidence. Im now down to 16 stone and im healthier by a long way. 

The game however has went down the toilet. I know I’ve lost muscle mass as i do cardio work but no weights. I can drive the ball straight and the distance hasn’t been largely effected. My irons however f**k me. Everything going right and when i say right boy do i mean fucking right. Its soul destroying so my likely guess is either a shift in weight (when swinging) or my body is now moving out of sync. Its unreal how bad it’s been the last few months. 

Love my golf but this is going to take a lot of time and changing especially as I continue to drop weight. Thankfully i can drive and putt. Anything over 50 yards though and its disaster. Never realised till today how even the tiniest change to the mechanics of your game can have a major impact. Started today 6 over through 9 then lost 6 balls (2 in 1 hole) on the back 9 all from irons. 

Getting fit sucks :lol:

28 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Posted on the get fit thread about weight loss goals and how i started taking golf serious. I used to play every other week and was about an 18 handicap never getting much better or worse (due to lack of practice). 

I was a massive 21 and a half stone. Started playing twice a week as well as some other things to start getting fitter snd healthier. At first things were going great as i was getting fitter, struggling less round the course and gaining more confidence. Im now down to 16 stone and im healthier by a long way. 

The game however has went down the toilet. I know I’ve lost muscle mass as i do cardio work but no weights. I can drive the ball straight and the distance hasn’t been largely effected. My irons however f**k me. Everything going right and when i say right boy do i mean fucking right. Its soul destroying so my likely guess is either a shift in weight (when swinging) or my body is now moving out of sync. Its unreal how bad it’s been the last few months. 

Love my golf but this is going to take a lot of time and changing especially as I continue to drop weight. Thankfully i can drive and putt. Anything over 50 yards though and its disaster. Never realised till today how even the tiniest change to the mechanics of your game can have a major impact. Started today 6 over through 9 then lost 6 balls (2 in 1 hole) on the back 9 all from irons. 

Brilliant effort to get fitter and lose some weight. Life changing/extending stuff. Really well done :thumsup2

Keep at the golf.  Possibly worth a lesson or two to revisit the basics.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Brilliant effort to get fitter and lose some weight. Life changing/extending stuff. Really well done :thumsup2

Keep at the golf.  Possibly worth a lesson or two to revisit the basics.

Thats not something i would have thought of mate thank you will have a look. Love the golf definitely the sport for me good thing is my brother is of a similar level when we both play decent so always keeps it competitive enough

My health was in ridiculous condition im only 29 pre diabetes, high blood pressure and heart scares all of my own doing. Was time to get the finger out. I put it off a week then another week and thag lasted years. Crazy to think the damage i did and was happy to make excuses. 

2 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

Keep going bud. As said get a couple of lessons and tell him about your iron play . Good luck 

If they are all going out right then it’s probably safer to say that it’s something fundamental with your swing that shouldn’t be hard to spot to the trained eye. Half an hour with a pro might be all you need to find out what’s wrong. If you were all over the place then there would likely be more faults to correct but consistency is probably a plus in this case.

Stick at it, and well done on the weight loss.

I've really had enough of playing shite.  I have gone up from 12 to 15 this year and have always tried to laugh off my pish scores (have carded over 100 three times this year) and tried to enjoy the game despite the state of my scorecard.  However, I now concede that my terrible play is affecting my enjoyment, even to the point that I shamefully don't even pay to enter the medal sweeps now, as it's a waste of money.

Decided that I either need to put the work in or STFU.  So, I'm going to get a lesson every four weeks and hit the range once per week, and practice ONLY what I'm told by the pro.  No more sticky-plaster approaches to this game, time to learn a swing that will stand me a chance of getting it round without the usual fat, steep, slice/pull bullshit.  I'll give it a year.

^ ^ ^ Seething (but proactive)

Just about to set off for the Dunhill at Carnoustie. Was there yesterday and the wind was brutal at times. Course looks great tho. Tommy Fleetwood and Brooks Koepka are in town today so will hopefully see quite a bit of them