Golfers Thread

Gaz

Brilliant first round by Knox today. Shot 66 (-5) to be tied 2nd.  Great start. Good man.
Would have been nice to see his birdie on 18, but Sky didn't show it. I know that might be down to the host broadcaster but it's still shite. Great round by Rose too who leads by 1.

I see Olesen has secured the 8th spot in the Ryder Cup. Bjorn has 4 picks to make. In interview today he said he is pretty certain of 3 of them and still has a bit more golf to watch in USA where the current Fed-Ex play-off finishes tomorrow. I would imagine those 3 would be Stenson, Casey and Poulter. That leaves one spot up for grabs between the likes of Cabrera Bello, Wallace, Pieters, Knox and Garcia. I expect Cabrera Bello or perhaps Wallace to get the final spot. Wallace birdied 5 of the last 6 holes to get into a play-off today and then birdied 18 twice in the 4 man play-off to lift the title. It`s his 4th European Tour title in 16 months and 3rd this season.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Agree with that. Wallace has certainly made a strong case with his performance this week, he was excellent today. Only thing I would say against him is that even with 3 wins this year he is still only 17th on the R2D standings. Certainly hit form the last few weeks though. Imo Rafa Cabrera Bello shades it.

Furyk has only gone and picked Tiger

Never in doubt since the Open tbh. Mickelson and DeChambeau were also dead certs. 

Edit to add: they were the next 3 on the points list for the US. Xander Schauffele is currently 12th, I'll be very surprised if he isn't their 12th man. Only other contender imo is Tony Finau.

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Never in doubt since the Open tbh. Mickelson and DeChambeau were also dead certs. 

Edit to add: they were the next 3 on the points list for the US. Xander Schauffele is currently 12th, I'll be very surprised if he isn't their 12th man. Only other contender imo is Tony Finau.

I have a feeling Finau will be 12th pick. 

4 Euro picks today.

For me Poulter and Stenson are nailed on picks. Pretty sure Casey will also be in which would leave the last between Wallace and Cabrera Bello i would think.

As an aside I watched the Fed-Ex play-off the other night. A few regular things occurred. Rose reversed straight out of contention at the start of round 4 only to fight back to finish high up without looking like he could win. McIlroy was in contention but never looked like he would win. Tyrrell Hatton was a dick.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I think Garcia is a really poor pick TBH. He has a very decent Ryder Cup record but his form has been awful lately including missing the cut in all 4 majors and not even making the top 100 in Fed-EX. . Hope he proves me wrong.

The likes of Cabrera Bello, in particular,  and also Wallace must be totally pissed off by the decision. 

Disappointed big Tam Pieters isn't in, top effort last Ryder Cup and finding a wee bit of form.

Gutted that Casey is in, I cannot stand that arrogant tosspit.  Garcia picked on reputation, Poulter meh but can see why and Stenson a yep.

Can see a  pumping ahead,hopefully wrong.

Edited by Tynierose

I think Garcia is a really poor pick TBH. He has a very decent Ryder Cup record but his form has been awful lately including missing the cut in all 4 majors and not even making the top 100 in Fed-EX. . Hope he proves me wrong.
The likes of Cabrera Bello, in particular,  and also Wallace must be totally pissed off by the decision. 
Definitely. If Bjorn wanted Garcia there so badly because of what he supposedly brings to the team room, then he could simply have added him as a vice captain. He scored a huge amount of points for winning the masters but still fell some way short of qualifying automatically.

Stenson is also a bit of a gamble with his fitness. Given how hard Bjorn worked to convince Casey to rejoin the European Tour there was never any doubt he would be picked, and Poulter has been in decent form up until the last couple of weeks.

Would much rather have seen Cabrera Bello or Wallace instead of Garcia tbh.

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Does it even matter who’s been picked for either side seeing as coverage will just be Tiger-Cam the whole weekend?

TBF the Ryder Cup is one of the few events when it isn`t just a Tiger-Cam. There are so few games on the course at any one time that it`s pretty easy to give them all good coverage. The last few singles sometimes get a bit neglected if it`s a big winning margin but generally the coverage is top notch IMHO.

Given his injury record i will be surprised if Tiger plays more than once a day tbh, his foursomes and fourball record is poor anyway so probably better to let him play just once on Friday and Saturday. It's been one of the mysteries over the years that even when he was at the absolute peak of his powers the Septics have been unable to find partners for him that have returned a decent points total.