Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Didn't catch much of it today with it being up against the World Cup but it looks like it caught up with him today.

Hopefully he can get a bit of rest before the open and try and put in a decent showing there.

Indeed. He looked shattered at the end today but still had it in him to congratulate  the winner and ask him how close he had been to the magical 59. Comes across as a really good guy. Hope he has a good week at Carnoustie.

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Balloted Monthly medal yesterday, one of our 3 ball didn't turn up, it was a 2 ball with me and the club champion. No pressure then. emoji44.png

I played shite, but it was my most enjoyable round in ages watching him. He plays off 2, hit 17 greens in regulation and missed 1 fairway, and even that was just because his ball ran so far on 18. His putter was cold though so he ended up with a 70 (-1). A real pleasure to watch up close.

I won the par 3 17th with my par. emoji23.png

Medal for me today.  Poor front 9 which included an 8 on a par 3. Lost ball, 3 off the tee 2 shots in a bunker and a missed short putt. :lol:

Then out of the blue came back in 38 (2 over) which included two 3 putts and made the buffer zone.

Just watched the interview with Jordan Speith on Sky as he handed back the Claret Jug. Thought he spoke fantastically well. 

Can`t wait for the Open to start. I love it.  Going to Carnoustie on Saturday and watching avidly on TV as events unfold.

Edit to add I see Russell Knox is in the same group as Tiger Woods and Hideki Matsuyama.  With Tiger and a top Japanese player in the 3 ball it will inevitably be a media circus. Hopefully Knox has the experience to play his own game but concentrating will be a challenge. Anyway good luck to him and all the other Scots involved.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

6 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Just watched the interview with Jordan Speith on Sky as he handed back the Claret Jug. Thought he spoke fantastically well. 

Can`t wait for the Open to start. I love it.  Going to Carnoustie on Saturday and watching avidly on TV as events unfold.

Edit to add I see Russell Knox is in the same group as Tiger Woods and Hideki Matsuyama.  With Tiger and a top Japanese player in the 3 ball it will inevitably be a media circus. Hopefully Knox has the experience to play his own game but concentrating will be a challenge. Anyway good luck to him and all the other Scots involved.

Heading up on the Friday and looking forward to seeing the course playing to true links conditions. 

Agree about Knox's draw. It's a poor slot to give to our leading player and although he seems to be very level headed I'm sure he'd rather do without the circus he'll be faced with now. Still fancy him to outplay Woods though.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Sandy Lyle will hit the opening shot on Thursday morning in what is expected to be his final Open Championship.

Yes a neat touch getting him to hit the opening shot. His exemption as a previous winner ends now that he is 60.

I`m sure he`ll get a warm reception and in particular on the 18th at the end of his 2nd round, or hopefully 4th round if he can make the cut. Apparently he`s thinking of trying to qualify for the St Andrews Open in 2021.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

You often hear golfers talk about the wheels coming off during a round. It happened to me today. Literally. Coming off the 11th tee my trolley fell apart. Plastic bush around the wheel pivot had disintegrated. Suppose I can't complain, paid about 30 quid for it 12 years ago.

17 hours ago, peasy23 said:

You often hear golfers talk about the wheels coming off during a round. It happened to me today. Literally. Coming off the 11th tee my trolley fell apart. Plastic bush around the wheel pivot had disintegrated. Suppose I can't complain, paid about 30 quid for it 12 years ago.

:lol:

Another round at Airdrie on Saturday for me as I continue to try and get some sort of consistency going in my come back. An 89, out in 6 over which I was chuffed with especially since I had a putt for par on all first 9 holes. Back 9 was a bit of a disaster racking up a couple of 6's and a 7. Highlight of the round was a 4 at the par 5 9th. Hit a driver down the middle followed by a 5 iron just to the right of the green. A wee pitching wedge over a bunker to 5 feet and knocked in the putt. 3 putted a few times so a few shots could have been saved and completely shanked a 6 iron OB on the 16th to take the 7 but some positives to take Into tomorrows round at Lochview (municipal) tomorrow since I'm off for a week.

56 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Another round at Airdrie on Saturday for me as I continue to try and get some sort of consistency going in my come back. An 89, out in 6 over which I was chuffed with especially since I had a putt for par on all first 9 holes. Back 9 was a bit of a disaster racking up a couple of 6's and a 7. Highlight of the round was a 4 at the par 5 9th. Hit a driver down the middle followed by a 5 iron just to the right of the green. A wee pitching wedge over a bunker to 5 feet and knocked in the putt. 3 putted a few times so a few shots could have been saved and completely shanked a 6 iron OB on the 16th to take the 7 but some positives to take Into tomorrows round at Lochview (municipal) tomorrow since I'm off for a week.

Well done. Sounds like lots of decent play plus as ever for almost any golfer room for improvement. It`s a much quoted line but once you are playing regularly again the best route to improved scoring is improved short game. Get some practice in at that to develop some confidence (you likely already know this). Keep at it and good luck.

Well done. Sounds like lots of decent play plus as ever for almost any golfer room for improvement. It`s a much quoted line but once you are playing regularly again the best route to improved scoring is improved short game. Get some practice in at that to develop some confidence (you likely already know this). Keep at it and good luck.
Cheers man.

Tee'd off this morning at 10:15 in Coatbridge. Its a municipal course but its definitely improves in the last few years. Out in 39 (par 33) only one 3 putt (the first hole for a 5). I'd found myself in the previous few rounds kind of half hearted hitting irons instead of trying to look at yardage and hitting full iron shots, so used today to slow my round down a bit, hit full shots to greens and actually try and line up putts. Amazing how much better I felt doing this but as previously, if I was far improved on short game, I reckon I could have POSSIBLY broke 80. Everything inside 90 yards could have been vastly improved and a couple of times today I took the 4 iron off the tee to leave maybe a full 7 iron and felt far more comfortable.
Highlight of the day was 2and shot at the par 4 5th, a stiff 8 iron, high draw, stone dead to 4 feet, lovely.
I did miss the birdie putt though!! Back in 45 for an 84 (par 69).
Ive been updating my rounds on Golfshake.com and they reckon my handicap is 18, I'll take that having only started again end of May, I'd love to be down about 14 for the start of the season next year.

Cheers man.

Tee'd off this morning at 10:15 in Coatbridge. Its a municipal course but its definitely improves in the last few years. Out in 39 (par 33) only one 3 putt (the first hole for a 5). I'd found myself in the previous few rounds kind of half hearted hitting irons instead of trying to look at yardage and hitting full iron shots, so used today to slow my round down a bit, hit full shots to greens and actually try and line up putts. Amazing how much better I felt doing this but as previously, if I was far improved on short game, I reckon I could have POSSIBLY broke 80. Everything inside 90 yards could have been vastly improved and a couple of times today I took the 4 iron off the tee to leave maybe a full 7 iron and felt far more comfortable.
Highlight of the day was 2and shot at the par 4 5th, a stiff 8 iron, high draw, stone dead to 4 feet, lovely.
I did miss the birdie putt though!! Back in 45 for an 84 (par 69).
Ive been updating my rounds on Golfshake.com and they reckon my handicap is 18, I'll take that having only started again end of May, I'd love to be down about 14 for the start of the season next year.
I played well today too paired with another member tom ex policeman guy was spot on, my putting was very unlucky 6 putts I missed by millimeters slightly right side of the cup weight was perfect just wasn't dropping

Card attached e135716ad46e4950aced5421a85a1b8d.jpg

I played well today too paired with another member tom ex policeman guy was spot on, my putting was very unlucky 6 putts I missed by millimeters slightly right side of the cup weight was perfect just wasn't dropping

Card attached e135716ad46e4950aced5421a85a1b8d.jpg&key=1c10bc22a4264d7562b48a5708045cc7abdd70827fc57f2bc1608dfd70d9f2f0
A very tidy round, I'd say that's my aim for this season, to trim down to shoot 80-82 a couple of times.
I've been trying to melt the 3 wood off the tee forcing it to go right or left but the last 2 holes yesterday I just tried it nice and easy and it was straighter.
An eagle though, that's quality!!!

A very tidy round, I'd say that's my aim for this season, to trim down to shoot 80-82 a couple of times.
I've been trying to melt the 3 wood off the tee forcing it to go right or left but the last 2 holes yesterday I just tried it nice and easy and it was straighter.
An eagle though, that's quality!!!

Aye more consistent anyway I've got a medal tomorrow so I'll see how I fair then, yip keep the swing tempo throughout and you'll hit straighter and further trying to murder it will only lead to bad shots, the eagal was a dinamite hole bit of luck in it [emoji3] but I'll take it b602260971163c6838c32454e8e65119.jpg