Golfers Thread

Gaz

You seem to of hit the ground running and scoring some decent scores for such a playing gap, iv played both lochview and westerwood in the past lochview was a bit of a mess tho, try drumpellier good course and well maintained and members are nice, I'm more of a solo player too and just joined sandyhills this year and iv been playing a lot since but I like to try other courses as much as possible,
Playing dalmahoy east and west on sat/sun quite looking forward to it
Been playing again since end of May. When I finished up playing last time I was a 16 handicap but a lot younger and couldn't hit the ball as far really.
Go to the driving range usually for 50 balls on a Tues, Thursday and a round on Saturday so I am actually hitting a lot of balls.
Don't know how far I'm hitting in comparison to other amateurs but I'm generally driving (with a 3 wood) 230-250 yards, an 8 iron to the wee fake green at the driving range about 150 yards and a full sand wedge to the wee 96 yard away green.

Been playing again since end of May. When I finished up playing last time I was a 16 handicap but a lot younger and couldn't hit the ball as far really.
Go to the driving range usually for 50 balls on a Tues, Thursday and a round on Saturday so I am actually hitting a lot of balls.
Don't know how far I'm hitting in comparison to other amateurs but I'm generally driving (with a 3 wood) 230-250 yards, an 8 iron to the wee fake green at the driving range about 150 yards and a full sand wedge to the wee 96 yard away green.

I wish I played when I was younger i always found it boring, its good you hitting regularly when starting back out and the distances your getting are pretty good, I'm about 110/120y with my PW and about 10/15y per club down, i get about your distances with my woods tho,
I just got a hc 2 weeks ago and playing off 18 hoping to half that by next year, (hope and reality are very different)[emoji3]
I'd advise you to get some time on a sim trackman/GCquad see your true carry distances how your hitting the ball the information is endless and to see every detail of impact, spin, loft ect is things you'll never know on the range

I wish I played when I was younger i always found it boring, its good you hitting regularly when starting back out and the distances your getting are pretty good, I'm about 110/120y with my PW and about 10/15y per club down, i get about your distances with my woods tho,
I just got a hc 2 weeks ago and playing off 18 hoping to half that by next year, (hope and reality are very different)[emoji3]
I'd advise you to get some time on a sim trackman/GCquad see your true carry distances how your hitting the ball the information is endless and to see every detail of impact, spin, loft ect is things you'll never know on the range
One thing I forgot to mention, and I'm actually quite embarrassed about this when there's people about....
I'm cack handed (right above left).
I don't know if it will make a massive difference when I know I'll never be getting to a great level but a few folk already have seen it and commented about how awkward it looks and I'll lose distance etc.
Being told I'll lose distance by someone who nailed their driver.....a whopping 150 yards BTW.
I appreciate any constructive criticism absolutely, but losing distance is something I really am not worried about.
Are any of the p&b golfers corrie handed or know of anyone??

One thing I forgot to mention, and I'm actually quite embarrassed about this when there's people about....
I'm cack handed (right above left).
I don't know if it will make a massive difference when I know I'll never be getting to a great level but a few folk already have seen it and commented about how awkward it looks and I'll lose distance etc.
Being told I'll lose distance by someone who nailed their driver.....a whopping 150 yards BTW.
I appreciate any constructive criticism absolutely, but losing distance is something I really am not worried about.
Are any of the p&b golfers corrie handed or know of anyone??

Lol that's nothing to be embarrassed about I started that way and most right handed people that pick up a club without direction will play left hand down too, if you use a bat, tennis racket use a hammer ect the object is an extension of you arm. golf is the opposite, even how you play is all about tempo, balance sync, rather than power compared to other sports you might have played,
I changed my grip from cack handed to right hand down in one range session and its worked a whole lot better for me and helps with consistency on my irons and woods puttings no changed much tho,
I can clear 300y with my driver but I hold back to hit more fairways, hitting far is less important than accuracy imo, i agree you will loss distance with that grip and as you need to use more of your wrists in you swing you will be more erratic and less consistent, if you are hitting your fairways and gir that's all you need really and if your doing that just carry on what your doing,
I'd advise you to play more on course and less on the range that's were you will improve, keep in mind on course you never really hit of a flat lie like you do on the range

Lol that's nothing to be embarrassed about I started that way and most right handed people that pick up a club without direction will play left hand down too, if you use a bat, tennis racket use a hammer ect the object is an extension of you arm. golf is the opposite, even how you play is all about tempo, balance sync, rather than power compared to other sports you might have played,
I changed my grip from cack handed to right hand down in one range session and its worked a whole lot better for me and helps with consistency on my irons and woods puttings no changed much tho,
I can clear 300y with my driver but I hold back to hit more fairways, hitting far is less important than accuracy imo, i agree you will loss distance with that grip and as you need to use more of your wrists in you swing you will be more erratic and less consistent, if you are hitting your fairways and gir that's all you need really and if your doing that just carry on what your doing,
I'd advise you to play more on course and less on the range that's were you will improve, keep in mind on course you never really hit of a flat lie like you do on the range
Sterling advice, cheers.
Obviously I want to be playing the best I can, but I think an achievable target for me would be to possibly get to about a 10 handicap. I like the range purely for the driving practise but as u say, all about getting rounds in.
Is there anyway I can get a handicap without actually being a member of a course??

Sterling advice, cheers.
Obviously I want to be playing the best I can, but I think an achievable target for me would be to possibly get to about a 10 handicap. I like the range purely for the driving practise but as u say, all about getting rounds in.
Is there anyway I can get a handicap without actually being a member of a course??

Sterling advice, cheers.

I love smashing drives up the range but its not helping my game as a whole, short game and putts are were you'll shave off strokes, 10hc is very achievable as your close already, but aye you will see more improvement getting rounds in mixing up your shots, lies, distance control ect, No mate I don't think you can get a hc without some type of membership I'm not 100% sure tho, I know some courses have flexible memberships that you can get a hc Douglas park £375 15 round and can play for hc I'm sure there will be others similar

I love smashing drives up the range but its not helping my game as a whole, short game and putts are were you'll shave off strokes, 10hc is very achievable as your close already, but aye you will see more improvement getting rounds in mixing up your shots, lies, distance control ect, No mate I don't think you can get a hc without some type of membership I'm not 100% sure tho, I know some courses have flexible memberships that you can get a hc Douglas park £375 15 round and can play for hc I'm sure there will be others similar

Cheers again.

Been listening to a lot of podcasts and watching a lot of YouTube videos, which have actually gave me a lot of really good ideas. One of the ones today was, before a round, take 5 clubs out your bag (never 2 in a row like 5 and 6 though). It will mean you're more likely to take too much club and work on the distance control with the bigger club, hitting it slightly softer, and in theory, less mistakes.

Then the next round, change the 5 clubs removed etc.

I spent probably 50 of the 100 balls at the range last night with a full SW playing to the wee green 96y away standing slightly in front of the ball getting it massively high and coming down to a dead stop or with 1 bounce.

But as you say, I reckon on my lunch break 2 or 3 days a week, I'll go to Lochview golf centre (I work 5 mins from it) with a bag of practice balls and hammer their wee chipping area to see exactly what my wedges do round about the green.

Sterling advice, cheers.
You can't get an official handicap without being in a club and playing competitive, but you can work it out yourself or there are a few apps that double up as on course gps and allow you to enter scores and it will calculate a handicap for you.

Cheers again.Been listening to a lot of podcasts and watching a lot of YouTube videos, which have actually gave me a lot of really good ideas. One of the ones today was, before a round, take 5 clubs out your bag (never 2 in a row like 5 and 6 though). It will mean you're more likely to take too much club and work on the distance control with the bigger club, hitting it slightly softer, and in theory, less mistakes.

Then the next round, change the 5 clubs removed etc.

I spent probably 50 of the 100 balls at the range last night with a full SW playing to the wee green 96y away standing slightly in front of the ball getting it massively high and coming down to a dead stop or with 1 bounce.

But as you say, I reckon on my lunch break 2 or 3 days a week, I'll go to Lochview golf centre (I work 5 mins from it) with a bag of practice balls and hammer their wee chipping area to see exactly what my wedges do round about the green.

Youtube is OK for some basics but some get a little more confusing I personally like the mark crossfield videos he's a good coach and breaks things down well, I personally wouldn't do what the vid you watched said with playing softer, you want your swing consistent through out your clubs ie if you have a 90mph swing speed you want to start your down swing at 90mph and finish at 90mph so you have the same tempo throughout you only really need to soften you swing or a half backswing when chipping/pitching, like I have a club for every distance from 70y to 300y full swings, inside 70y its a chip and run if I need to go over a bunker I'll open the face but my tempo is consistent on every club except chipping were I don't use my hips as much , take your clubs you would chip with 8,9,gw,PW,sw and see how each club runs out on a half swing or quarter swing, you know you can stop a sw at 90y (that's quite good) and you can do that with 9i down to your woods, it's 90y in you need to be working on you already generate good distances with a full swing now do the same with a partial back swing but keep the same tempo, put it this way the best golfers have great short games, its key to dropping scores,

Downloaded golf shot there, seems decent enough, luckily I've kept all my score cards since starting back
I use 18 birdies its keeps some basic stats putts, rights and left slices, distances, gir ect, is a GPS and score card, I also use gamegolf its a dedicated tracker, tracks every shot I tap shows me every thing in my game on course

On 08/07/2018 at 17:04, Ro Sham Bo said:

Knox has just won the Irish Open. If you didn't see it, the two birdie putts he holed on the 18th in regulation and then the play off were outstanding.

Knox in contention again at Scottish Open. Given his recent schedule and travel he must be knackered but great to see him doing well. Getting very close to clinching a place in Ryder Cup team too.

6 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Incidentally is there an English open on the circuit?

They kind of claimed the open as that even though most of the host courses are in Scotland,the game was invented in Scotland and the r and a was founded and is based in Scotland.  Plus their courses are pish anyway.

9 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Incidentally is there an English open on the circuit?

There used to be but it was binned in 2002 when the European Tour decided there were too many tournaments in the UK.

They tried to bring it back towards the end of that decade, but couldn't raise enough sponsorship money.

Balloted Monthly medal yesterday, one of our 3 ball didn't turn up, it was a 2 ball with me and the club champion. No pressure then. [emoji44]

I played shite, but it was my most enjoyable round in ages watching him. He plays off 2, hit 17 greens in regulation and missed 1 fairway, and even that was just because his ball ran so far on 18. His putter was cold though so he ended up with a 70 (-1). A real pleasure to watch up close.

I won the par 3 17th with my par. [emoji23]

Knox in contention again at Scottish Open. Given his recent schedule and travel he must be knackered but great to see him doing well. Getting very close to clinching a place in Ryder Cup team too.
Didn't catch much of it today with it being up against the World Cup but it looks like it caught up with him today.

Hopefully he can get a bit of rest before the open and try and put in a decent showing there.