Golfers Thread

Gaz

Play 3 rounds with another member of your club and hand the cards in to the pro/club shop,doesnt have to be in a medal

It actually can't be a medal, as far as i know, as you can't enter a medal without a handicap.
As you say play 3 rounds with a fellow member and give the cards to the match secretary who will allocate you an official handicap based on an average of those 3 cards (more or less).

10 hours ago, gavin_3110 said:

Have played every weekend over the winter after taking golf up in April just there. Been hard going at but definitely improving, hoping it will stand me in good stead come the nicer conditions.

Not sure if I should start entering medals to obtain my handicap. Not sure if it would improve me, or destroy my confidence. Hard to know how well I'm playing at the moment due to the shite conditions. We'll see...

Looking forward to the light nights, not far away now.

Try to think positively about your own game - shot choice, posture, swing, grip etc and avoid blaming your score on the conditions.  

http://www.formosa.co.nz/en/

Played this course yesterday for the second time.  
Had a 91 the first time and managed 86 yesterday less 14 = 72 par.  :thumsup2
Its a cracking course with a few lovely individual holes but sadly the whole course could do with a bit more maintenance than its getting.  

16 hours ago, gavin_3110 said:

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me mate. Under 100 is good for me, playing on a par 71 course. Only scored under 90 once, when I nipped 89 in perfect conditions.

I've not really kept scores over the winter as it would just be demoralizing. I've been playing at Crow Wood or Westerwood, both of which are really wet underfoot at the moment so you get no run whatsoever and end up hacking about most of the time.

I play better when I just take my medicine and take say two good middle irons to get me in close, rather than a duffed drive and a hack out some rough to get me to the same point...

I played Westerwood quite a few times in the summer but it was getting very wet underfoot even by September. I started playing at Playsport East Kilbride after that, it's only a 9 hole but because it's up high it stays in really good condition in the winter.

Get to the Coast and get on the links if you want winter golf. Play at Barassie in Troon and we've had full greens for 95% of the winter. Certainly slow compared to summer but still run pretty true. There's always good deals on from Oct-Mar aswell.

Really need to get down and practice more this year, no excuses, live and work about 10 mins away from the course. At 8.6 atm, hopefully get that down under 8.3, that'll be best i've been.

I was going to say yesterday you'd be better coming down here for a game as piperdam might not be in great condition with the rain.
What did you think of the course? Aside from playing off matts?

It was the layer of snow that did it for Piperdam.

Course was alright, although the tractors were out in force doing the greens, so a few were a bit bumpy. Would like to play it in the summer, although I hate to think how quick the greens would be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/39120332
It will be interesting to see how many of these changes actually get the green light.

Remove any penalty for accidentally moving your ball
- Potentially agree though could lead to issues such as removing loose impediments when ball likely to move

Relax the protocols for taking free or penalty drops, with the ball dropped from only an inch above the ground, rather than shoulder height.
- Bizarre. No

Use fixed distances (20 or 80 inches) rather than club lengths to measure areas where a ball should be dropped.
- Fine in theory but does a club not give some certainty over the distance for relief? Will we be expected to carry a tape measure instead?

Reduce the time allowed to search for a lost ball from five to three minutes.
- No way

Allow putting on the green with the flagstick left in the hole.
- Agree.

Allow players to repair spike marks and animal damage on greens.
- Agree

Automatically allow the use of distance measuring devices.
- Agree but local rules in force almost everywhere anyway

Ban caddies from lining up players as they prepare to hit.
- Disagree

Recommend no player takes more than 40 seconds to hit a shot.
- Recommend? A recommendation will do little to speed up slow players. Not sure how many folk spend over 40 seconds having addressed the ball regardless

Encourage players in strokeplay to implement "ready golf" rather than waiting until it is their turn to hit.
- Absolutely agree. This could speed up the game significantly IMO

Empower committees to set a maximum score for a hole (such as double par or triple bogey) to allow a player to pick up and move to the next hole.
- Not required. We already have the Stableford adjustment rule for bad scores. In strokeplay your score must be your score scored.

Remove any penalty for accidentally moving your ball
- Potentially agree though could lead to issues such as removing loose impediments when ball likely to move

Relax the protocols for taking free or penalty drops, with the ball dropped from only an inch above the ground, rather than shoulder height.
- Bizarre. No

Use fixed distances (20 or 80 inches) rather than club lengths to measure areas where a ball should be dropped.
- Fine in theory but does a club not give some certainty over the distance for relief? Will we be expected to carry a tape measure instead?

Reduce the time allowed to search for a lost ball from five to three minutes.
- No way

Allow putting on the green with the flagstick left in the hole.
- Agree.

Allow players to repair spike marks and animal damage on greens.
- Agree

Automatically allow the use of distance measuring devices.
- Agree but local rules in force almost everywhere anyway

Ban caddies from lining up players as they prepare to hit.
- Disagree

Recommend no player takes more than 40 seconds to hit a shot.
- Recommend? A recommendation will do little to speed up slow players. Not sure how many folk spend over 40 seconds having addressed the ball regardless

Encourage players in strokeplay to implement "ready golf" rather than waiting until it is their turn to hit.
- Absolutely agree. This could speed up the game significantly IMO

Empower committees to set a maximum score for a hole (such as double par or triple bogey) to allow a player to pick up and move to the next hole.
- Not required. We already have the Stableford adjustment rule for bad scores. In strokeplay your score must be your score scored.

Out of interest why do you disagree with banning caddies from aligning players as they prepare to shoot. It's a bizarre development in the professional game.

The only other one My opinion is different to yours is the 3 minute rule. 5 minutes is a long time to look for a lost ball and is essentially the time between tee times at a lot of courses. One lost ball can clog up the whole course.

Ready golf is the one I like the most as it can be a major help at speeding up the game.

Slow play is a proper pain in the arse, but they need to have different guidelines for pros and club players. I would hazard a guess that if "ready golf" means that you are getting all set to play your shot while your playing partner/partners are hitting then the vast majority of club players already do it. (Although I see other definitions that suggest that it means that the 1st player ready to hit plays his ball, regardless of who is furthest from the hole).

I've joined Bishobriggs and like many clubs the local rule is that GPS watches/phone apps etc can be used as long as all they show is distance and not the wind or elevation/inclines.

The problem with lost balls isn't just the time taken to look for a ball, and 5 minutes isn't unreasonable IMO, but if the player hasn't hit a provisional then it's all the mucking about with the player going back to hit another ball, whether that be off the tee or trying to find the closest spot to the previous shot. Why not just drop a ball in the vicinity of where it was lost (and agreed upon by your playing partners) and add a 2 shot penalty. E.G. you hit your second through the back of a green, 5 minutes looking doesn't find it, drop a ball in the area and hit your 5th from there?

As for some of the others:

Penalty drop procedure, strange idea and no need to change.

Caddies lining up shots, a no-no for me, up to the player to do that imo.

Maximum score per hole, again no need, if it's stroke-play then you have to finish the hole. Having a maximum score is cheating imo, you could have someone playing the round of his life apart from a  few holes, but his card is saved by having a maximum score on those holes.

Slow play is a proper pain in the arse, but they need to have different guidelines for pros and club players. I would hazard a guess that if "ready golf" means that you are getting all set to play your shot while your playing partner/partners are hitting then the vast majority of club players already do it. (Although I see other definitions that suggest that it means that the 1st player ready to hit plays his ball, regardless of who is furthest from the hole).
I've joined Bishobriggs and like many clubs the local rule is that GPS watches/phone apps etc can be used as long as all they show is distance and not the wind or elevation/inclines.
The problem with lost balls isn't just the time taken to look for a ball, and 5 minutes isn't unreasonable IMO, but if the player hasn't hit a provisional then it's all the mucking about with the player going back to hit another ball, whether that be off the tee or trying to find the closest spot to the previous shot. Why not just drop a ball in the vicinity of where it was lost (and agreed upon by your playing partners) and add a 2 shot penalty. E.G. you hit your second through the back of a green, 5 minutes looking doesn't find it, drop a ball in the area and hit your 5th from there?
As for some of the others:
Penalty drop procedure, strange idea and no need to change.
Caddies lining up shots, a no-no for me, up to the player to do that imo.
Maximum score per hole, again no need, if it's stroke-play then you have to finish the hole. Having a maximum score is cheating imo, you could have someone playing the round of his life apart from a  few holes, but his card is saved by having a maximum score on those holes.

The second definition is what I understand from ready golf. If people are further back and not ready to play, assuming it's safe to do so, you should play your ball. f242d660c1be81cef2dfbb029860aca7.jpg

Out of interest why do you disagree with banning caddies from aligning players as they prepare to shoot. It's a bizarre development in the professional game.

The only other one My opinion is different to yours is the 3 minute rule. 5 minutes is a long time to look for a lost ball and is essentially the time between tee times at a lot of courses. One lost ball can clog up the whole course.

Ready golf is the one I like the most as it can be a major help at speeding up the game.

I'd leave the pros to it. I don't really see any need to tinker with any rules that don't affect amateurs.

I absolutely agree regarding ready golf and think this could drastically speed up General play.

In terms of time taken for a lost ball, I see your point but 5 mins isn't really excessive. If folk are going to lose a tonne of balls then play will be slow whether it's 3 or 5 mins to find it.

Personally, I'd appreciate the extra 2 mins to find my ball if I was on a score with a couple of holes to go.

Played my first round since October even though I said I'd play through the winter and didn't again. 91 with 3 birdies and an 8 on the card which isn't too bad considering, here's too a good season and a few shots coming off the handicap again.