Golfers Thread

Gaz

I played well today in a match-play competition. Started well and got 4 up quickly and then traded halves and odd holes to hold on for a 5up with 4 to play.
The most pleasing aspect was my short play, which if not spectacular, was definitely solid. [emoji1]
I'm still hanging onto my 11 handicap on my local course.
handicap 001.jpg

Well played mate.

I've got a match tomorrow, wouldn't mind a similar result.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2017 at 10:58, expatowner said:

Going down to Christchurch area for a weeks golfing, going to try some new courses.

Excellent time had by all.  Played eight different courses on successive days:

• Harewood in Christchurch
  • Ben Ohau
  • Omarama
  • Otematata 
  • Kurow
  • North Otago
  • Timaru and
  • Harewood (again)

Managed to be just below or just over my handicap on all of them. :thumsup2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to the season starting. Last season was my first proper season playing medals and getting an official handicap. Struggled for long periods after being given 22 rising to 24 over the course of the season.

Played a good few times over the winter and have had a few lessons which have helped my ball striking. 

Hoping for a quick start and an early cut.

Have played every weekend over the winter after taking golf up in April just there. Been hard going at but definitely improving, hoping it will stand me in good stead come the nicer conditions.

Not sure if I should start entering medals to obtain my handicap. Not sure if it would improve me, or destroy my confidence. Hard to know how well I'm playing at the moment due to the shite conditions. We'll see...

Looking forward to the light nights, not far away now.

1 hour ago, gavin_3110 said:

Have played every weekend over the winter after taking golf up in April just there. Been hard going at but definitely improving, hoping it will stand me in good stead come the nicer conditions.

Not sure if I should start entering medals to obtain my handicap. Not sure if it would improve me, or destroy my confidence. Hard to know how well I'm playing at the moment due to the shite conditions. We'll see...

Looking forward to the light nights, not far away now.

Was thinking the same about the medals not sure wether to wait a while longer to try n get a handicap.

I took up golf at the beginning of last summer aswell, usually play myself or with a mate but not really competitively. Last year I was hitting just over 100 usually aiming to get under 100 but never managed it. Played twice since the new year and the 2nd time hit 91.

Looking forward to the brighter nights to get more practise in. Reckon I can get down to hitting about 80 on average this Summer if I improve my short game and putting which is pretty erratic.

47 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Was thinking the same about the medals not sure wether to wait a while longer to try n get a handicap.

I took up golf at the beginning of last summer aswell, usually play myself or with a mate but not really competitively. Last year I was hitting just over 100 usually aiming to get under 100 but never managed it. Played twice since the new year and the 2nd time hit 91.

Looking forward to the brighter nights to get more practise in. Reckon I can get down to hitting about 80 on average this Summer if I improve my short game and putting which is pretty erratic.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me mate. Under 100 is good for me, playing on a par 71 course. Only scored under 90 once, when I nipped 89 in perfect conditions.

I've not really kept scores over the winter as it would just be demoralizing. I've been playing at Crow Wood or Westerwood, both of which are really wet underfoot at the moment so you get no run whatsoever and end up hacking about most of the time.

I play better when I just take my medicine and take say two good middle irons to get me in close, rather than a duffed drive and a hack out some rough to get me to the same point...

I'd say get your 3 cards handed in at the start of the season and take a handicap, it'll help you aim to improve.

I done the same last year. Thought my handicap would have been around 17-18 but got given 14 after my 3 cards, ended up getting down to 10.8 and it's gives you something to work against every round. I enjoy the concept of playing against my handicap and trying to save buffer out of a poor round.

Don't feel like I've played anywhere near enough over the winter, I can't wait for the clocks to go back.

Having a handicap also let's you play in other competitions like scrambles etc which are usually great fun. As a high handicapper I love playing in them as there is absolutely no pressure on me and if I help out a few times in the round it makes it even better.

How do you go about getting a handicap? Do you just sign up for monthly medals and hand in 3 cards? Is it possible to play in medals without a handicap in the first place?

Play 3 rounds with another member of your club and hand the cards in to the pro/club shop,doesnt have to be in a medal