Golfers Thread

Gaz

Joined a golf club this time last year and was given handicap of 9.2,

I am now at 5.2. Delighted but the downside is will really struggle to compete for medals etc off this,

I think if you play steady golf its not to hard to get cut from around 9/10 to 5/6

Id imagine getting from 5 to 2/3 would be a lot harder,

superb stuff

El bandito

Going down on Saturday with a couple of neebers who are very good to try and sort out this driver, I've always played a decent draw and usually pretty consistently but Joe developed a hook with not playing so much. If I can get the driver back I'll get cut quite a bit I reckon.

Going down on Saturday with a couple of neebers who are very good to try and sort out this driver, I've always played a decent draw and usually pretty consistently but Joe developed a hook with not playing so much. If I can get the driver back I'll get cut quite a bit I reckon.

You aint getting 18 with me ill tell you that much :lol:

Seems to be my bad shot just now aswell the hook

You aint getting 18 with me ill tell you that much :lol:

Seems to be my bad shot just now aswell the hook

I can't help being a chopper :lol:

I'll get you down Leven for a round if you fancy it sometime.

What happened to this p&b golf day, sounded like a great day, would love to get out and meet everyone off here and have a laugh( while admittedly probably finishing last) 

Also, anyone know of any opens in the next few weeks, that one at greenock sounded decent, just a shame I missed it

What happened to this p&b golf day, sounded like a great day, would love to get out and meet everyone off here and have a laugh( while admittedly probably finishing last)

Also, anyone know of any opens in the next few weeks, that one at greenock sounded decent, just a shame I missed it

Like anything, it just needs someone to take the bull by the horns and organise.

As far as opens are concerned, it may be a bit of a trek but Aberdour is a great course and they have an open on the 10th of July I think.

Whilst it is one of the classic cliche's. Leven is one course that you need to drive well to score well. Offline on most holes will have you struggling for bogey, let alone par.

Whilst it is one of the classic cliche's. Leven is one course that you need to drive well to score well. Offline on most holes will have you struggling for bogey, let alone par.

Yep, I'm been playing a lot of okay drives but suddenly I'm in the bushes or left with a near impossible shot to the green.

My driving is usually good so I'm hoping it comes back it's just rusty due to lack of play.

The club I've not long joined, Crow Wood, has an open on the 9th of July.

I was making really good progress, was about ready to put in for a handicap but went out last night and it was a fucking disaster. Kept hitting shanks and over-correcting or thrashing at the ball as a result, finished OK on the last couple of holes thankfully. Going back out tonight to try and get that out my system...

Are golf gps apps for iPhone legal or illegal? I've had a look but there's loads of contradictory advice online. I've been looking at watches for gps as the course has no markers for distances etc but I've since found an app which is very good. It's called golf shot and only measures distances not anything else, basically if I use it on the course am I likely to get punted out of the tournament or are they perfectly fine?

Are golf gps apps for iPhone legal or illegal? I've had a look but there's loads of contradictory advice online. I've been looking at watches for gps as the course has no markers for distances etc but I've since found an app which is very good. It's called golf shot and only measures distances not anything else, basically if I use it on the course am I likely to get punted out of the tournament or are they perfectly fine?

It's a bit of a messy one but essentially smart phones are allowed providing you don't access any additional information such as slope, club advice etc.

Also needs a local rule in place but I've not aware of any club not having the local rule in place.

I use a garmin watch which is good for a quick glance. I'm really tempted by the apps that are becoming available for the Apple Watch.

Edited by mojito

It's a bit of a messy one but essentially smart phones are allowed providing you don't access any additional information such as slope, club advice etc.

Also needs a local rule in place but I've not aware of any club not having the local rule in place.

I use a garmin watch which is good for a quick glance. I'm really tempted by the apps that are becoming available for the Apple Watch.

I looked a couple of times at the watches but I don't fancy the idea of playing with a watch on for some reason.

Yeah the app itself only tells me the distance to the green from any given point, no wind speed/ club selection etc.

I like the look of the bushell Neo gps as well, fits nicely in the pocket for a quick glance.

By any chance you've never used the course own guide have you? Worth the money or a bit dated now?

Yeah, bought a course guide when I first signed up but I never found it much use on the course to be honest.

Some of the old members often point out some good markers around the course. Up the 18th, if your past the lamppost on the street, your good to go for the green etc. 

Couple of good weeks for myself. Gone from 7.2 to 5.8. Delighted as had set a target of back to 5 before season had started. Lowest I have been down to was 3.4 ( just before first daughter was born), Now she is 12 and her sister is 7; slowly getting a little more golf in and scores etc starting to come .

Edited by perthsaint1977

Couple of good weeks for myself. Gone from 7.2 to 5.8. Delighted as had set a target of back to 5 before season had started. Lowest I have been down to was 3.4 ( just before first daughter was born), Now she is 12 and her sister is 7; slowly getting a little more golf in and scores etc starting to come .

Great playing.