Golfers Thread

Gaz

Bit of advice please folks. We are going on a golf trip to st andrews in march. Boys have just decided it might be good to go for a sit down on the Friday night. Any recommendations? Preferably not too expensive but we would shell out if it was worth it.

Played my fifth winter league round (9 hole stableford) on Saturday. Having managed a single point between the first two holes I parred the next 4 and stuck it to 20 feet into the wind at the 7th.

As I was getting a shot at the hole, I knew that even a 3 putt would guarantee 2 points - not to be sniffed at for a difficult hole in testing conditions. 5 putts later I'm wondering why I bothered getting out of bed

Got to love winter golf.

Played my fifth winter league round (9 hole stableford) on Saturday. Having managed a single point between the first two holes I parred the next 4 and stuck it to 20 feet into the wind at the 7th.

As I was getting a shot at the hole, I knew that even a 3 putt would guarantee 2 points - not to be sniffed at for a difficult hole in testing conditions. 5 putts later I'm wondering why I bothered getting out of bed

Got to love winter golf.

Hahahaha thank you for this post you have made my morning, good to know its not just me this happens too

If you're striking the driver 280 and playing to a 15 handicap you'd probably be better off investing in some short game lessons!

15 handicap and only 8 yards short of the average PGA tour player's distance. Lucky him.

There's absolutely no need to be hitting anything longer than a hybrid with that kind of distance.

Ok club experts... The time has come for me to invest in a new set of irons. My mizuno mx-15s have served me well since purchasing in 2002 (I pre-ordered so perhaps they arrived 2003) but it's probably time to take advantage of modern technology.

Noticed that American Golf have a decent sale on just now, Callaway X-Series (5-sw) for £299 and Taylor Made Speedblade (4-pw) for £279.

At the other end of the scale, the Mizuno JPX850 (4-pw) are here for £499 and seem to have excellent reviews.

Only thing being, I note these are all termed "game improvement" clubs.

Having very little knowledge of the technology itself, I'd welcome advice as to what to go for. Best to stick to game improvement or otherwise?

Currently playing off 7 and a pretty solid iron player generally.

Intend to go up the range to try a few out but any suggestions in the meantime welcome.

A pal of mine had been playing pretty solid for a couple of years with Mizuno game improvement type irons, then at the start of the last golf season he switched to Mizuno blades. Can hardly hit an iron now, his game has fell away. I play with Cobra game improvement type irons and I can't recommend them highly enough, so easy to hit, launch and very forgiving, although they may be no use to a 7 HC. I'd also recommend having a look at clubhousegolf.co.uk Just as many, maybe even more clubs than AG, but generally works out a bit cheaper.

Wouldnt put you off callaways but give the cobras a try,an excellent club maker largely overlooked

Totally agree, Cobra don't get the recognition they deserve.

• 4 weeks later...

New irons bought off eBay. Amp cell 4-sw. Nearly bought them last year for £249 got them second hand for £130. Hopefully an upgrade on the 10 year old ones I've got at the moment which cost £50 on eBay 6 years ago.

Edited to add: was there someone on here who played Monifieth? Looking for a potential favour in terms of cards for a Handicap.

Edited by DigOutYourSoul

I'm at 16.6 and looking to bring that down to 14-ish this year. Been out for a few rounds and I've found that I'm coming down more on the irons and committing to the shot, rather than trying to scoop them off the turf - makes a big difference and it's added a few yards already.

I got a Vokey 50 degree wedge toward the end of last season - I've been chipping brilliantly with it but it was difficult to hit fully - now I seem to be able to get it to fly 90 yards and stick on the green. I'd recommend to anyone who has that PW-SW gap in your bag, fill it. It gives you so many more options.

Edited by sonofjenova

I'm at 16.6 and looking to bring that down to 14-ish this year. Been out for a few rounds and I've found that I'm coming down more on the irons and committing to the shot, rather than trying to scoop them off the turf - makes a big difference and it's added a few yards already.

I got a Vokey 50 degree wedge toward the end of last season - I've been chipping brilliantly with it but it was difficult to hit fully - now I seem to be able to get it to fly 90 yards and stick on the green. I'd recommend to anyone who has that PW-SW gap in your bag, fill it. It gives you so many more options.

If you maintain the improvements you describe you will comfortably get down to 14. Just keep it in play off the tee, you don`t always need to hit driver.

Good luck.

I just bought Ping G30 driver, stiff flex and 10 degree AMAZING.

I have been checking for a 50 degree/gap wedge but can't see any at a good (cheap) proce to try out.

I have checked ebay/GTree but not to sure what to look for.

-----------------------------------------

I never joined Aberdour but getting the Fife Rover 23rd this month.

*if anyone ever fancies a game

Edited by BaSeDG0DSA1NT

I just bought Ping G30 driver, stiff flex and 10 degree AMAZING.

I have been checking for a 50 degree/gap wedge but can't see any at a good (cheap) proce to try out.

I have checked ebay/GTree but not to sure what to look for.

-----------------------------------------

I never joined Aberdour but getting the Fife Rover 23rd this month.

*if anyone ever fancies a game

I have a 52 degree mizuno wedge in good condition just sitting there if your ever in Edinburgh/Livingston area or cover postage you can have it