9/11

Rugster

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mate told me to turn on the TV, just as the second plane hit.

If im being brutally honest, it was absolutely fantastic entertainment, and i doubt anyone couldnt say they were gripped by watching the TV. I think i even took it into the toilet that day so i didnt miss a bit of the action.

We were all sitting in the common room at 6th form when my mate came in and told us a plane had crashed into one of the twin towers. At the time I didnt even know what the twin towers were.

Then when I was driving some mates home half an hour later Mark and Lard were being all serious on Radio 1 so we knew something serious was happening. Got home and switched Sky News on and couldnt believe what was happening!

I had to work a shitty 3 hour shift at Somerfields that night and some know it all weirdo was in my ear all night about how the world would end and we would be next to go. I tried to escape early to go to the Berwick game and the boss caught me and went mental,

Then I went to Berwick-Partick,

then my mate had a fight with a Berwick fan from North Berwick,

then the police stopped me in my car when I was lapping about. He claimed he was nearly arrested a Hearts player at the Berwick-Hearts game.

I can remember nearly everything that night. Unbelievable day

Tomorrow is the seventh anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. The day itself been debated to death, but my point is can you believe how quickly seven years have gone, and what were you doing at the time you heard about the incident?

I was at my ex's in Falkirk, and was night manager at the time, I knew I was going to be called in, and was. We were due to play Forfar that night I think it was in the CIS or Challenge? Cup, and she went in the huff because I got called into work. I think that was the first, but not the last time, I used the phrase, "go and take a right good f**k to yourself" to her. :lol:

Over to the masses.

I was driving to a meeting in Leamington Spa and as I got caught in a jam on the M1 decided to cancel and head to Manchester, where I was to meet a colleague later in the day and have a business meal at night.

As I got to Manchester early I checked into Jury's ASAP and worked on some drawings I had to sort out.

I was doing some e-mails when my eye was attracted to the flashing 'BREAKING NEWS' on the TV in my room and that's when I seen the 2nd tower get hit

I thought it was some kinda spoof

I drove down to Berwick with my mate in my old mans motor to see us beating them 3-0. Whatsmore, I had a £5 on the same scoreline. A good evening for me.

Did you see the fights in the car park between the Berwick Berwick fans, and the North Berwick Berwick fans? :blink::lol:

For a lot of younger folk it is this generation's Kennedy Assassination. Everyone remembers what they were doing.

I was doing a midweek shift at Burger King as I had just finished college at the time. I was on the open, and a guy came in not long after it had happened and asked us if we'd heard.

Not having access to a TV we didn't know exactly what was happening and were relying on folk coming in. Various stories were coming in that folk had tried to bomb the White House and the Statue of Liberty and was just a scene of general confusion. I can remember making a few jokes about it early in the day as we generally had no idea that such a tragedy had occurred :(

Went on like this until my break when I ran across to Dixons to check the news on teletext on one of their TVs. Can remember going back to BK in shock and telling everyone what had happened.

Got sent home early that day as eventually no-one was coming in, and can just remember watching it on the news feeling numb.

I went round the girl who I was kind of seeing at the time. She said "look what'shappened" and we sat and watched it. Her dad was a teacher and he came home early. I then drove up to my brother and sister-in-laws, they were in New York earlier that year and had photo's at the WTC.

First I heard about it was when I got back from school at around 4pm. Got in the house and saw my little sister watching kids TV. Nothing unusual so far and then I got up to my room and switched my TV and saw footage of the one of the towers collapsing. Thats was a pretty surreal moment.

Can't say I did.

B)

Those were the days! :lol:

I remember around the same time we used to have conflict with some Queens Park fans of the same age (15-17 in 2001). A group of them chased one of my mates home after a game at Shielfield! :lol: Don't think they go to QP games anymore though. :rolleyes:

Im going off topic, but this thread just brings back the memories.

I remember I had a day off that day and was playing a Golf Tie mid-morning, finished around twoish and went back to the car, remember that Steve Wright was on the radio and he mentioned that a plane had hit the WTC but he did only give you the impression that it was only a light aircraft also think he made a rather inapropriate remark about it as well when looking at the future picture!!!

I got home and thought put the news on and see if there is anything on it about this aircraft...

...you know the rest!!!

I sat there speechless for the next four hours watching it all, flicking between the various news channels it was amazing, unbelievable stuff and I really don't think we will see the like of it again, or if we do it will probably be the end of the world!!!

Also remember going to Nou Bayview that night for either a League or Challenge Cup game, can't remember who it was against or what the score was, I would doubt many people who were at the game could tell you without recourse to looking it up!!!

I do remember that there was a minutes silence before the game though and there was people there who didn't know what it was for!!!

Mum and dad's silver wedding to the day. They were on the Carnival Princess coming into Miami after a week long Carribean cruise, the boat was not allowed to dock until the non-American passengers were practically interogated by customs.

They asked my dad if he could prove where the two of them had been for the last 48 hours. 'On a cruise ship' was the reply. They did not laugh.

Meanwhile, Mum was making friends with the crying American's by saying 'I am really sorry for you, but maybe you will stop supporting the IRA now'.

How to win friends and influence people the Fife way. <_<

They asked my dad if he could prove where the two of them had been for the last 48 hours. 'On a cruise ship' was the reply. They did not laugh.

Meanwhile, Mum was making friends with the crying American's by saying 'I am really sorry for you, but maybe you will stop supporting the IRA now'.

I like the sound of your parents, they sound like my dad!

Despite being fully aware of what had occured through listening to the radio all day, nothing could have prepared me for just how unbelievably shocking the footage was on the news that night.

Indeed. I was the only one in our workshop at the time when the report of a first plane hitting the World Trade Center came on the radio. Seconds later a colleague walked in and I asked if he'd heard that, and told him what it had said. He left the workshop and came back through a moment later just as the radio announced a 2nd plane had hit it. I'll never forget the way we just looked at each other with that stark realisation that this was no accident.

My mate told me to turn on the TV, just as the second plane hit.

If im being brutally honest, it was absolutely fantastic entertainment, and i doubt anyone couldnt say they were gripped by watching the TV. I think i even took it into the toilet that day so i didnt miss a bit of the action.

I got myself a Freeview box as we prepared for to invade Iraq. I'll remember it fondly as my first war in digital.

Archived