9/11

Rugster

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, well...I've found it next to impossible to have that conversation with anyone from the US who isn't from New York or New Jersey... :(

Isn't it incredible how "freedom fighters" like PIRA can be seen for exactly what they are when another flavour of terrorism hits your town.

Oh look, it isn't nice that these people kill innocent civilians to achieve political aims. That's bad!

It's sad that it takes that to do it, but there you go.

I was in a plane somewhere between London and Schiphol airport. When we landed we didnt have much time to get to our departure gate for the onward flight to Turin, which was at the other end of the airport.

As we bombed round everyone seemed to be gathered round tv monitors. At the time we just thought their flights were delayed or something, not realising they were looking at tv pictures rather than flight boards.

When we got to our gate we sat down, looked up at the tv and saw re-runs of the first plane hitting the tower - I'm not sure if the second plane had hit yet or whether we just didnt see any pictures. A few minutes later we boarded our connecting flight.

Wasnt until later that night that we found out 2 planes had hit and a bit more detail of what had happened. Wasnt really until we got back to the UK a week later (and english speaking tv :lol: ) that we found out exactly what had happened.

Yeah, well...I've found it next to impossible to have that conversation with anyone from the US who isn't from New York or New Jersey... :(

I was in Boston of all places last October and was speaking to a guy who had always put his hand in his pocket for the tin rattlers when in pubs.

He said he was utterly ashamed when he thought back on it. Fair play to him but it's an outrage that it took 9/11 to change the views of such people. I suppose the IRA were fucked as soon as the planes left Boston Airport.

I was only a couple of days back from a fortnight in Ibiza and was lying on my couch in the house fighting the demons. I sat for nearly four hours in silence with my dad then had to go do a shift at Ginger in Stirling as it was then. Served in near total silence as everyone watched the big screen intently from the minute I walked in.

I was in a plane somewhere between London and Schiphol airport. When we landed we didnt have much time to get to our departure gate for the onward flight to Turin, which was at the other end of the airport.

As we bombed round everyone seemed to be gathered round tv monitors. At the time we just thought their flights were delayed or something, not realising they were looking at tv pictures rather than flight boards.

When we got to our gate we sat down, looked up at the tv and saw re-runs of the first plane hitting the tower - I'm not sure if the second plane had hit yet or whether we just didnt see any pictures. A few minutes later we boarded our connecting flight.

Wasnt until later that night that we found out 2 planes had hit and a bit more detail of what had happened. Wasnt really until we got back to the UK a week later (and english speaking tv :lol: ) that we found out exactly what had happened.

Choice of words - FAIL!

It is indeed a sad day and one that should be remembered by all.

There was another chilling and brutal event that shares the same infamous date, the first 9/11 in 1973. A military coup which saw General Augosto Pinochet defeat a democratically elected president in Chile. As a result, Chile saw almost two decades of a fascist dictatorship, more than 3000 deaths and many more 'disappeared', a phenomenon widespread in Latin America.

Both these events were a challenge on freedom & democracy and had tragic consequences for many thousands of people. We should certainly remember those that have and continue to suffer the consequences of these two evil events. :(

Good point.

I didn't think they had any footage of the first plane hitting the tower? :unsure:

Any reasons why?

He described it as being a reap what you sew moment for the US Government, sixty years meddling in other peoples affairs and eventually someone decides to give them a bloody nose. I could actually see his point in a way, maybe that was more the Chomsky kick I was on at the time.

Choice of words - FAIL!

Why? No bombs were involved ;)

I didn't think they had any footage of the first plane hitting the tower? :unsure:

It could easily have been the second plane. I guess what I should have said was we only saw footage of one plane hitting the towers and didnt know anything about a second plane, at the time.

Was in primary shcool and remember coming home to se my mum watching the tv in shock. She then went on to tell me what exactly happend and it felt unreal for some reason.

Later that night Dumbarton played Clydebank and we won 2-0 :) It was the last time we played the bankies.

Was in primary shcool and remember coming home to se my mum watching the tv in shock. She then went on to tell me what exactly happend and it felt unreal for some reason.

Later that night Dumbarton played Clydebank and we won 2-0 :) It was the last time we played the bankies.

That day was the last time for a lot of bankies.

Too far? :ph34r:

I'd finished uni for the day, bought a couple of CDs for a fiver at Fopp and watched some of it unfold in the TV shop opposite in Byres Road. Went home and watched the rest of it.

My story pales into comparison with 2 of my best mates who were in Manhattan at the time, obviously a lot further north than the WTC, but for one of them the first momentous event of September 11th 2001 was his ex-girlfriend catching him cheating on her with his now fiancee!

Was just leaving the golf club when one of the old dudes said "what about that carry on in America, they are flying planes into each other in the sky"

I came home and switched the news on and saw a replay of the second plane hitting the tower,

A memory never to be lost,

I watched two 9/11 documentaries this week. One about some bird that claimed she had been in the south tower and had lost her fiance in the north tower. She was lying on both counts but managed to live this lie for about 5 years. :o

The other one was about people who survived in the mariott hotel which had both towers falling on top of it.

Both were quite interesting stories.

Archived